4.0 out of 5 stars A fun bit of escapism...
Fun and easy read with the bonus of having some new recipes to try out! Always surprised by who is the culprit at the end these books.
Published 11 months ago by Pat

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, implausible mystery
I love the Goldy Bear series of books. Goldy, the main character is not perfect. A little over weight, a bad marriage behind her, an absent minded mother at times. Some how in her catering business, she seems to always stumble into crime.
Published on Aug. 31 2002 by Kindle Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, implausible mystery, Aug. 31 2002
Although the mystery in this book seems quite implausible, in particular the method of murder, watching Goldy solve the crime is part of the fun of the book. However the best part of the book is the description of food, and the tantalizing recipes scattered through out the book. I really am going to have to cook one of these dishes sometime soon.
The main storyline involves the death of Goldy's new boyfriend Phillip Miller. His death is called an accident, but Goldy doesn't believe that. Temporarily relocated to a wealthy part of town, and living as an in house cook to a rather eccentric family, Goldy determines to find out who killed Phillip. The only problem is, her real life such as catering parties and dealing with a pre-teen son keep intruding on her crime solving plans.
Entertaining, funny and easy to read, this is a good addition to the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun bit of escapism..., May 10 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Not so tasty, May 17 2004
Felicia Jordan (Colorado) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed Davidson's first culinary mystery, but this one left a bad taste in my mouth. The method of murder was just too implausable to be believed. Also, Davidson is really stretching it trying to make us believe a caterer in a small Colorado town happens to bump into so many people with scandalous pasts, murderous intentions and access to various poisons. Arch and Tom Schultz both annoy me. I don't know what Goldy sees in Tom, and Arch needs a smack across the mouth! Someone needs to shake Goldy, come to think of it, for letting her son get away with so much!
Too bad. I really wanted to like this series, but I'm not inspired to read any more Davidson novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad!, April 1 2004
My first attempt at the Goldy Bear culinary series, and I enjoyed it much more than I expected. Fast moving, with interesting twists and a eclectic assortment of characters. I'll definately go on and try others in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars twisting Rocky Mountain roads and plots, Aug. 25 2003
Karen Sampson Hudson (Reno, NV United States) - See all my reviews
"Dying for Chocolate," one of Diane Mott Davidson's earlier Goldy Bear Schulz culinary mysteries, will not disappoint her legions of fans. In this one, single-mom Goldy and her young son Arch are living on the third floor of the Rocky Mountain mansion of retired General Bo Farquhar, who is still fascinated with the bombs and weapons that dominated his career as a terrorism expert.
Goldy comes under suspicion---was her food that was responsible for the auto accident that killed her suitor, psychiatrist Philip Miller? She has been neglecting another suitor, detective Tom Schulz, but he comes to her aid and the two come closer together as they attempt to figure out what has happened and why.
Recommended light reading, will put a smile on your face!

5.0 out of 5 stars you got your chocolate in my mystery;), Feb. 18 2003
M's Davidson scores again with another wonderful murder mystery / cookbook. Goldy has man problems her usual exhusband Jerk problems of behaving in a threatening manner _and_two men courting her at the same time. Goldy decides to become a live-in cook for a wealthy couple.
And of course, that's when all hell breaks loose.
Who wants the shrink dead? Why is the exhusband scting so much like a jerk? Why does Arch run away? And which man will she pick, Phillip or Tom? Who is Pierre? And does this book have the "Strawberry Super Pie" recipe?
I'll tell you "yes" to the last question (and it is_super_) but you have to read the book for the other answers. A great read and great recipes, I recommend this book highly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Title but not enough, May 8 2002
H. Foxworthy "mrsdean" (Kodiak) - See all my reviews
I have enjoyed this series but I was quite dissapointed with this book. The title is attractive. The beginning of the book and the plot development is fine. But the further I got into the book, the more far-fetched the plot. The first half of the book was well written and the who-dunnit solution was unplausable. I felt like Davidson didn't know how to end her story and rushed it. But don't judge the whole series on this one book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yummy Mystery, April 23 2002
great series of books! Read them all! Good recipes, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book - Good Recipes, April 8 2002
By A Customer
I like a good mystery book and I really enjoy cooking. I got both in this book. This is the first Diane Mott Davidson mystery book that I have ever read. I have read Mary Higgins Clark and Lucille Braun mysteries and ran out of mysteries to read so I bought one of Diane's books. I tried the Anniversary Burgers and they were great! Actually, I would give it a 4 1/2!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dying for Chocolate, Jan. 25 2002
By A Customer
I just love this series. I think this was the first one I read and got hooked immediately. The series always involves a mystery and food. what a great combination. I always want to root for Goldy when her x-husband is involved and then all his x-wives get more involved. I can hardly wait for the newest one to come out in paper back. Her new husband just seems like a big teddy bear which is much the opposite of "The Jerk"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xbcfe9590)

Dying for Chocolate
Dying for Chocolate by Diane Mott Davidson (Audio CD - Nov. 6 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 59.98