5.0 out of 5 stars Daily meditations for compassionate warriors.
Published on Sept. 13 2002 by G. Merritt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, bad reader
Published on Dec 18 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Daily meditations for compassionate warriors., Sept. 13 2002
G. Merritt - See all my reviews
Pema Chodron is a Buddhist teacher in the lineage of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, her teacher. In her previous book, THE PLACES THAT SCARE YOU (2001), she wrote that compassionate "warriors-in-training need someone to guide them, a master warrior, a teacher, a spiritual friend, someone who knows the territory well and can help them find their way" (p. 113). For many of us, Chodron is that "someone."
COMFORTABLE WITH UNCERTAINTY is a compilation of 108 excerpts from Chodron's previous books that may be read as a collection of short, daily meditations for compassionate warriors-in-training. These teachings will stick with you, and they will resonate throughout the day. Readers expecting to find something new here may be disappointed. But for others, this book will offer an excellent introduction to Pema Chodron.
G. Merritt

3.0 out of 5 stars Good content, bad reader, Dec 18 2002
By A Customer
Pema Chodron is one of my favorite Buddhist authors. She has a way of articulating subtle ideas that really resonates with me. I bought this book and enjoyed it, although much of the content was familiar from her previous books. I picked up the cassette version of the book to listen to while driving, and I didn't make it halfway through the first side of the first tape. The reader's overly emotive, breathy narration is grating. I thought I'd get used to it and focus more on the text, but it didn't happen. This is the same reader who did the audio version of "The Places That Scare You," which was equally unlistenable. It is a shame that the publisher, who coincidentally is also the reader, can't recognize the great gulf between her work and the author's. Can you say "ego"?

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Book!, Nov. 7 2002
Pema Chodron is a wonderful, down-to-earth Buddhist nun, who soothingly challenges us to become present and compassionate warriors. She is my best, most treasured teacher.
I like to pop a tape or CD in and listen while I sit or drive, so I got the CD version of Pema Chodron's "Comfortable With Uncertainty." That was unfortunate. The reader, who is not Pema, has a self-consciously "soothing" vocal presentation, and she misses many opportunities to be present in the words she reads. So, my advice to you road warriors, is to get off the highway, and hunker down to savor Pema's written words. They're jewels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy the Book, Nov. 7 2002
So, my advice to you road warriors, is to get off the highway, and hunker down to Pema's written words. They're jewels!

3.0 out of 5 stars Audio edition disappointing, Dec 2 2002
Five stars for the content, two stars for the "performance". The reader of this Sounds True audio edition is also the founder of Sounds True. She is senstitive to the material but her delivery is overly soft and gentle and so I had trouble keeping my attention on what she was saying. I've listened to other Pema Chodron tapes in her own voice. Pema is a wonderful speaker, very direct, humourous, warm but not "soft". Like the previous reviewer, I recommend buying the book over the audio edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buddhism simplified, April 21 2004
Rick Sheridan "AudioColumn.com" (Xenia, Ohio) - See all my reviews
This older audio book is inspired by the Buddhist tradition of the 108-day retreat, and offers insight on how to act from an awakened heart and other traditional Buddhist principles. Also included are ideas about ways that people stay stuck by always seeking pleasure and avoiding pain, how they are always trying to create security zones, and other limiting beliefs. The soothing voice of Tami Simon helps to make this audio book a success. I ended up buying the book version after istening to the tapes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it..., Dec 8 2013
This review is from: Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and Compassion (Paperback)
I read it every day and meditate on the words. It's an awesome book. I really believe the author in right on the mark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable with uncertainity, Aug. 10 2010
I have read this book once all through out. One teaching a day. It has opened my mind to see the things as they are. It has helped me to understand how it feels to be kind to yourself and to others feel like. Now I am reading this book for the second time. Everytime read, it seems that I understand what it is to live in the moment and enjoy every moment, to be gentle and loving whether things go your way or not. It opened my heart to living a life of simplicity while bringing joy to myself, through helping others.
This book will open you heart to live a joyful life regarless of the circumstances you are facing at the present moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful tool for self growth and discovery, Feb. 24 2003
By A Customer
I write this review because I think the other reviews herein did not do justice to this exquiste gem of Buddhist teaching. Ms Chodorn is eloquent and articulate in her delivery of helpful insights into the human condition and gentle and simple in her understanding of what may restore balance. The book can be read piecemeal or from beginning to end. The glossary offers edification on Buddhist Sanskrit meanings, which I found helpful, since I am a beginner to Buddhism and not a student of Sanskrit. This book offers a path of healing and wholeness. To see it without this meaning is to miss the point. I have recommended it to many people, beginners and scholars of Buddhism alike. Without exception the book was well received. Buy the book -- forget the audiobook. This is one book you will want to hold and leaf through the pages. I would give it much more than a five star rating were it possible.

CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 13.10