4.0 out of 5 stars Seeing the Truth about Ourselves, June 30 2007
Rebecca Stark (Yukon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Humility: True Greatness (Hardcover)
Finally, a book on every Christian's favorite subject!

Well, I suppose that's not quite right, is it? Most of us don't really want to be more humble. At least we don't want to be more humble unless someone notices how humble we are and congratulates us for it.

C. J. Mahaney defines humility as a realistic evaluation of ourselves in light of God's holiness and our sinfulness. Humility is seeing the truth about ourselves. I think I can say with confidence that there's not one Christian who oughtn't be more humble. When we assess ourselves, we are much more likely to evaluate ourselves as better than we really are, than we are to see ourselves accurately. Our problem is not lack of self-esteem, but too much self-esteem. So this is a book we all ought to be interested in, even though we might find the subject...well...humbling.

This is a short book and a quick read. The first two sections deal with the biblical reasons we ought to be humble and the biblical example of humility that we find in Christ himself. The last section is the largest section of the book, and it's the "how-to" of humility: What can we do to grow some in ourselves and in those we are responsible for.

This last section is where the strength of the book is. I'm not a big reader of "how-to" books, but this is not pop-psychology, but practical biblical advice. For instance, this section examines things like what we can do first thing in the morning to give us a humble outlook, what we can do at the close of the day to remind us of our dependence on God and his grace, and how we can encourage others.

I wish there had been more exegetical examination of the various scriptural texts that deal with humility--like my personal favorite: Philippians 2: 1-11--but that's probably just me wanting a book that's more the sort of thing that I really, really like to read. Practical is good, and Humility: True Greatness is nothing if not practical. It gives us the down-to-earth, bottom-line, nitty-gritty on a quality I need more of, and I bet you do, too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Great, May 18 2007
Toniette M. Baelde "Tonni" (Aylmer Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Humility: True Greatness (Hardcover)
I read this book shortly after finishing Andrew Murray's 'Humility', and I found it to follow beautifully! Andrew Murray provided an in depth study on the theology of the topic, while C.J. Mahaney provided the practical application to make it come alive in my life. A highly recommended book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Humility by C.J. Mahaney, June 29 2011
This review is from: Humility: True Greatness (Hardcover)
C.J. Mahaney wrote a deceptively small book that is packed with a fantastic amount of truth in it. Truth that will cut to the bone and to the heart, every page confronts the reader with the reality that humility is not a heart beat that any of us have in ourselves naturally.

Despite this reality, Mahaney writes a book that first creates a desire in the readers heart to grow in humility, and to put to death pride. The entire first section of the book is all about that very issue: Humility vs. Pride. On page 29 a wonderful quote from John Stott does a great job of describing this battle; "At every stage of our Christian development and in every sphere of our Christian discipleship, pride is the greatest enemy and humility our greatest friend."

The book continues into a study on Jesus Christ and the example of perfect humility that he was and is for us. From there Mahaney heads for the heart. The final section of the book is a chapter by chapter run through a variety of steps and practises we can take in our lives to develop humility. Not that developing it can be a pursuit that we can take pride in, that would defeat the purpose of humility all together!
This is a book I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to everyone and anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life., Feb. 25 2013
This review is from: Humility: True Greatness (Hardcover)
Weather you are Christian or not, C.J. Mahaney helps paint a picture of what real humility is. It's a book that shows that the attribute of humility is a virtue, not a weakness. An easy read. I've lead our board and small group through this book, and now some of them have gone on to lead others through it. This is a must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn to Practice Humility, Jan. 11 2012
This review is from: Humility: True Greatness (Hardcover)
"To learn true humility, we need more than a redefinition of greatness; we need even more than Jesus' personal example of humble service. What we need is His death."

That is the message of this book. From start to finish C.J. Mahaney presents a practical, gospel-centered solution to pride.

the first 1/3 of this book (about 60 pages) is designed to convince us that pride is perhaps the most basic issue we face in our Christian lives. He accomplishes this by demonstrating the subtleness with which pride can act in a believers life, as well as the fact that, ultimately, it is a raising up of ourselves against an infinitely wise, holy, and perfect God. To finish off this section he reminds us of the victory that is ours because of the cross of Jesus Christ.

The next 2/3 is practical advice born from over 30 years of conscious effort on Mahaney's part to "weaken pride and cultivate humility". this section is so valuable that you must take notes for future reference. There are 17 tips that can be put into practice each and every day to identify pride in our lives, and when it has been identified, repent of it, and ultimately, quash it.

ARRAY(0xab5e53d8)

Humility: True Greatness
Humility: True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney (Hardcover - Sept. 30 2005)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26