Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on November 5, 2004
I too felt it was misleading of the publishers to describe this book as a having a main plot revolving around a vampire serial killer. That was definitely a subplot in the book. I believe the purpose of this book was to get resolution for some of the key characters in the Anita Blake books. This book does show that Anita is finally coming to accept that sex is a major factor in her powers because she is tied to Jean-Claude. Richard is finally forced to face a few hard truths about himself. Anita if finally forced to recognize that Nathaniel and Damien are integral to her life.
Again although I was disappointed in the weak plot line, I am extremely glad that it seems that LKH has her characters back on line, this in itself made the book a great read for me. I am looking forward to the next book where I believe we will get back to the butt kicking plots that we have all become accustomed to.
on October 4, 2004
I've been waiting for this book to come out since I finished Cerulean Sins, and I'm completely addicted to the Anita Blake series.
That having been said, this was not my favourite book in this series.
Strong points: Anita resolving some things with Richard (one of my fave characters), some hot sex scenes, the opening few chapters describing Larry's wedding.
Weak points: this book felt more like the Merry Gentry series, with sex for the sake of sex (or so it seemed) as opposed to it adding intensity to a relationship (even a casual one). The mystery or underlying storyline - outside of Anita's relationships with the many characters - felt almost like an afterthought. There was a lot of editorializing on the development of the triumvirate powers with Richard and Jean-Claude, as well as an examination of Anita's relationship with the many men in her life. As for the [WARNING - SPOILERS!] second triumvirate ... that seemed a little far-fetched.
I stuck with it (raced through it and then went back to re-read parts, in fact) because as I already stated, I am a big fan and addicted to the series. However, if you have never read an Anita Blake novel, I would strongly advise against starting with this one. If the mystery rather than the sexual element of these stories is what you like, I would avoid this book as well ... or at least wait until it comes out in paperback.
The crux of this book seems to be Anita getting more aware of her boundaries - or lack thereof - and of her gaining greater understanding of how she feels about both herself and the many men around her.
Overall, I'd give it somewhere between 3 and 4 stars.
on October 18, 2004
This is one sexy book. Frankly, I didn't know WHAT to expect. I'm usually one for some mainstream novel like Angels & Demons or The Bark of the Dogwood, so this was quite a switch for me. Still, for the genre it is, I enjoyed it. Not at all like some novel by Anne Rice, which I was expecting.