5.0 out of 5 stars Finally

Published on May 10 2004

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, July 14 2004
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
I have been waiting forever, like many other Malory family fans for Jeremy Malory's story. I was so surprised, and delighted to have stumbled upon it a few weeks ago. I read many of the reviews and was a little disappointed because though most liked it, most had something negative to say about it. I thought that it was great. I thought it was funny, very sexy, and I highly recommend it. I thought that Danny was the perfect match for the charming Jeremy. And it was great how Mrs. Lindsey revisited the history of the Malory family, and most of its members to give new readers a taste but not too much to cause boredom for the old. Yet to be a little hypocritical, I do wish that it had contained more love scenes, instead of glossing over most. There have been some comments about Jeremy taking advantage of the fact that Danny was drunk. It's a historical romance novel. The female lead is usually seduced during some state of vulnerability or extreme circumstance to justify their fall from virginal grace and show their difference from the females of loose morals. If it had been a modern romance novel then I agree it would have been a little inappropriate but in a age where teenage girls have a season to search out a husband and are expect to do nothing but shop and beautify themselves all day, I think the seduction should be view in a different light. In the end, I thought the book was great and I give it two thumbs, with my sincerest thank you to Mrs. Lindsey.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed-Icky hero, June 15 2004
shelden (Summer Doldrums) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
I gave the book three stars because I was actually able to finish reading it, but all the way through, Jeremy Malory creeped me out. He showed no real feeling for Danny, just a consistent need to get her between the sheets. His seductive powers seemed to consist only of a lowered voice and burning glances. He comes off as a somewhat churlish frat boy when he takes advantage of Danny's overindulgence to literally trip her up into his bed. (What finesse!) Don't forget this little trick is played while she is his lowly maidservant. With cruder dialogue and more graphic imagery, this could be a letter to a men's magazine. Jeremy's gift of a puppy and a kitten didn't even show any romance, but seemed more like afterthoughts tossed in to make him a nicer guy. There just didn't seem to be any real feeling between Danny and Jeremy to make the physical passion meaningful. I think Jeremy would have been a better character if he'd displayed more empathy for Danny's upbringing, especially in light of his own past. I had trouble believing Danny would throw off her long held principles just because Jeremy was "so bleedin' handsome."
Something else interfered with my enjoyment of the book, and that was the artificial nature of the social background. The descriptions of the lower class people rang somewhat more true, but I don't think the society people of those times would blithely mingle their female relatives and their mistresses and their maids. The whole "let's dress the maid/mistress up in a ball gown" business just struck a false note. Instead of being a cherished Cinderella, Danny seemed to be a convenience, someone easily used.
In reading back over this review, I decided three stars was too many. I enjoyed most of the other Malory books, but this one was a disappointing two star effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jeremy's Story **dreamy sigh**, June 4 2004
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
This book was very good. It wasn't as 5 star excellent as the other Malory novels, but it was still a great read. The things Jeremy did were a great way to show the audience that he'd been "around the block" with the sensual way he pressed against Danny, bringing her to wanting him with out actually touching her.
One thing that bothered me was the word "nabob". It was used too much I think. We all know that Jeremy is an extraordinary handsome devil, but I would have liked to see him snared by a woman who wasn't so beautiful. Danny had been beautiful from the start, even with her short cropped hair. She was even a beautiful "boy" in the beginning of the book.
But there is just something special when a sinfully handsome man falls for a woman who isn't quite so glamorous herself, and I was hoping for a little of that with this story. Johanna tries to pull it off with her wearing pants and being dirty, but she is still described as beautiful. I much preferred the chemistry between Lachlan and Kimber in "Love Me Forever". She was ordinary, she wasn't beautiful.
It just would have been nice to see Jeremy Malory, a man known for dallying with beautiful women, fall for an ordinary girl and realizing there's more to women than a pretty face and a quick tumble. But that would have been my story had I been the author.
Johanna, however, did a wonderful job regardless, and Jeremy was every bit as roguish as we'd hoped he would be. And I'm glad she didn't overuse his signature saying "Hell's Bells" too much. When he did say it, it didn't seem forced. Thank you Johanna!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Malorys strike again., May 12 2004
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
Our beloved Malorys are back. We all waited in anticipation for the newest installment and Lindsey doesn't disappoint. Jeremy is now 25 years old and moving into a home of his own. Following in the footsteps of his father and uncles, Jeremy is taking the ton, namely the ladies, by storm. However, Percy, Jeremy's & Derek's bumbling friend, in typical fashion, has found himself in a bit of trouble and Jeremy comes to the rescue. Percy has lost two family heirlooms to a rather unscrupulous person and it is up to Jeremy to get them back. Only a Malory would think of using a thief to rob a thief. But this is where the trouble begins. Who would have thought Jeremy would choose a pickpocket who has been masquerading as a boy for 15 years? Danny, the pickpocket is an interesting character and doesn't give in easy to the charming and lovable Malory scoundrel.
I was a bit disappointed that there was not more interaction with his family, but overall it was a wonderful book and I look forward to the continuation of the Malory saga.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable,predictable and thoroughly unoriginal, May 10 2004
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
I do not particularly like Johanna Lindsey's writing style although I enjoyed some of the earlier books in her Malory series.The family is made up of amusing characters.But they seem like carbon copies of each other.The leading male characters are all handsome,boorish chauvinists and I find that the exceptionally handsome women often cross the line between being strong and independent and stupid and silly.So,it is probably a good thing that Lindsey does not come out with a Malory book very often.
I liked the heroine of this book.Like other females in this series who are not from the Malory family she was in trouble and a Malory man helped her out.She was also "beneath him" initially but miraculously found her very respectable roots.Considering the number of females in this family who have such an unusual occurrence in common,this family should be in the Guinness book of world records.Anyway,Lindsey managed to give the heroine some spunk and cut down on the silliness.The dialogues and humor were the saving graces of this book.I also liked catching up with other members of the family.You do not need to have read the other books in the series to be enjoying this one because background information is provided on all the previous couples.If you get over the feeling that you have read a similar story by Lindsey before then you can begin to enjoy this, laugh a few times and savor the feeling of having spent your time enjoyably by revisiting old acquaintances.

4.0 out of 5 stars return of the Malory mob, April 27 2004
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
Jeremy Malory helps his friend Percy Alden recover family heirloom rings he lost when gambling under the influence. The distraught Percy has avoided his beloved mother for he knows how upset she would be if she sees his ringless fingers. Heddings who won the rings has refused to sell them back to Percy, which is why they are in a dump of a tavern in London's worst slum.
They capture fifteen year old Danny, who grew up on the means streets as a pickpocket. They quickly learn the tall male teen is a beautiful female urchin Dani. They enlist her help giving her no option besides the law; Dani steals back the jewels from Heddings. However, by assisting a member of the Ton, she has violated the rules of the street felons and is exiled. Honor forces Jeremy to hire Dani as a servant. He tutors her to act like a lady and soon begins falling in love with Dani. She has loved him from the first moment she saw his "pretty" face. However, Dani knows that an aristocrat would never marry the likes of her and anything less would shatter her heart.
The return of the Malory mob is a reason for rejoicing for fans of the series. The exciting story line is at its best when it furbishes a regency equivalent to My Fair Lady starring two fine protagonists. When the terrific tale twists into too easily resolving the class distinction issue, readers still obtain a wonderful subplot, but also will wonder what if Johanna Lindsey left the concern at its most difficult. Still Malory fans will appreciate this delightful addition to one of the author's best ongoing sagas.
Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and Fun, April 27 2004
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
I have over the years enjoyed the Lindsey series about the Malory clan. In this book we again meet the Malory's with young Jeremey Malory taking top billing. He is a 25 year old bachelor who is not looking for love. In comes Danny a young pickpocket who has been a "boy" for the past fifteen years so she will not be forced into the worlds oldest profession. Through twists and turns Lindsey tells their tale, with a lot of fun and laughter along the way. Danny is a fun character and of course so is Jeremy. The supporting cast of Malory's makes the story a trip down memory lane because it reminded me of the other books I read in the Malory saga. I would recomend this book to any one who enjoys Lindsey and her style of writing. I read the whole book in one sitting and couldn't put it down. Fun, fear, and laughter all in one book. Great read. The only negative thing I can think of is there is always the hook of the woman being of the nobility which I find contrived. If I am realistic though isn't the whole thing contrived and I am reading these books to enjoy not analys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Wonderful Malory Tale, July 1 2004
Judy "book reader" (Cincinnati, ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
A Loving Scoundrel by Johanna Lindsey is another marvelous Malory novel.
Jeremy Malory sets up a trap to catch a thief. He needs this thief to help a friend retrieve jewels lost in a fixed card game. He gets more then he bargained for when he enlists Danny in his scheme.
Danny had no memory of her life before she joined the street gang at the age of 5. She had disguised herself as a boy to fit in. By helping Jeremy she is kicked out of her gang. Danny figures Jeremy owes her. So, she strikes a bargain with him. Danny will work as his upstairs maid if he will help her refine herself.
What comes to pass is a battle of wills. Jeremy to bed her and Danny to stay out of his bed.
When trouble from her past comes to harm Danny, Jeremy will do anything to protect her.
This is a wonderful continuation of the Malory clan, the witty conversations, smoldering passions and the interfering family.
You can not go wrong with a Johanna Lindsey novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars great read..not the best Malory book, May 3 2004
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
Jeremy Malory....I couldn't wait for his story. The charming and viracious young scamp in all the other books deserved to fall like all the other Malory book men. I just felt that he didn't fall as humorous or as heartwarming at the others before him. Most of the books funny quirks came from the other members of the Malory clan. I do believe that Danny is the perfect character for Jeremy, with her background and her spirit. I just think that there should have been more instances where she sent Jeremy on a rollar coaster ride, or maybe gave him a little bit more to work for. Other than that it was a good book. I love visiting the Malory familiy, although, I can't think of a character that is left that is printed in my brain, that I would love to read about, but that's the great part. I love surprises. ROCK ON! LINDSEY

3.0 out of 5 stars What can I Say?, June 17 2004
This review is from: A Loving Scoundrel (Hardcover)
I love all the Malory's really. Jeremy was my favorite for along time but I felt let down in this one. He was... I don't know, lacking I guess would be a good way to put it.He seemed to stereotypical. Nothing much to him slightly two-dimensional. He didn't seem to be as much as a scroundel as every one said he was, Tony and James were worse than him and well, if it hadn't been for the additional Malory's in the story I don't think I would have liked this book that much.
I did like Danny, though. She was fine but it did seem a bit impossibble for her to go form a maid to a debutante with in 48 hrs. Not realistic, in my opinion.
It was a decent book and if you have nothing else to do it's a good read. It is satisfying but not worth the twenty I paid for it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Loving Scoundrel, A
Loving Scoundrel, A by Johanna Lindsey (Audio CD - April 27 2004)
CDN$ 42.95 CDN$ 34.36