5.0 out of 5 stars My first Will Lee novel!
Having read all of Woods' Stone Barrington novels, I had no doubts that this book would be anything but great!
Will Lee is the President of the United States, and his wife is the head of the CIA. Though they are advertised as the main charaters, I didn't feel that their parts were that involved in the storyline.
To quickly sum up the story, a highly trained...
Published on June 21 2004 by Jessica Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars A Will Lee story - but no the best.
Will Lee is back in this Stuart Woods Novel. This is not one of the best ones he has had in the series. Though, a lot of the old characters are back from this series. Will is president and one of his most notable opponents is found shot dead in his retreat cabin. Then another opponent of that Will Lee stand for is blown up.
Before long (with the help of a kid)...
Published on Jan. 12 2004 by Tanya L. Schaub

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Will Lee novel!, June 21 2004
Jessica Davis "J.D." (Florida) - See all my reviews
To quickly sum up the story, a highly trained assassin is killing very prominent figures in the US government. Throughout the story you will follow those trying to track down this crazed man/woman, as they race this mad person before he/she kills others. And as I hate to give away too much information, just know that this book is a fast read that you will not be able to put down until the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Democrats rule - Republicans drool - geesh!, June 15 2004
Pamela "madison59" (Connersville, IN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Capital Crimes (Hardcover)
A very disappointing and not-so-novel premise of bumbling, stupid, inept, hypocritical right-wing Republicans, sleezing their way through Capital Hill with the saavy, young, energetic, superior intellectual Democrats covering their asses. This book oozes of polital bias and a lame plot complete with the FBI director actually satisfied, well, let's say not disappointed, with the sniper shooting of one of the victims, a conservative SOB (all conservatives are in this book)who is a senator. As an avid reader, I just get tired of the same predictable stories and villains in current fiction. Do authors honestly think their readers are buying (no pun intended) this fodder? Woods needs to stick with the Barrington line and phase out the Will Lee novels if this is all he can come up with. Trust me, this is no "Chiefs", which is unfortunate.

2.0 out of 5 stars A good beach book, May 27 2004
This review is from: Capital Crimes (Hardcover)
As a long-time fan of Stuart Woods, I just hate to say it but his novels are just getting too simple, predictable and just plain mediocre, and this book is not an exception. Both the characters and story are not very well developed in this one. I like my thrillers to be a bit more challenging and provide a little more excitement. I always liked the Will Lee character, so thought I was in for a good read. However, Will's role is on the sidelines and the new character, Kinney, just doesn't have a lot of depth. It was just very light reading suitable for a time when one wants to lie on the beach and not have to think too much.

2.0 out of 5 stars low key action, April 27 2004
Simon Crowe (Greenville, SC United States) - See all my reviews
CAPITAL CRIMES, a slapdash poltical novel, involves the FBI's pursuit of a serial killer who is targeting well-known right wing figures - a talk show host, a supreme court justice, etc. The killer is someone with a wealth of technical knowledge and capability to carry out elaborate murders, and for most of the book there's little suspense as to how he'll behave. The murder victims are all caricatured as leering idiots
A deputy FBI director is put in charge of the case and for much of the book seems to be one of only 2 competent people in the bureau, along with his young sidekick. The FBI director, for no particular reason, is made into a preening buffoon. CAPITAL CRIMES is filled with improbabilities. One character repeatedly ignores communications about the identity of the killer, and the killer himself publishes his intended targets on a website. A subplot involving a British raid on the web server goes nowhere. There's nothing the least bit original or interesting in this book. Skip it .

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!, Feb. 6 2004
This review is from: Capital Crimes (Hardcover)
This is the fifth book in a long series by Woods, and in my opinion, the best of the lot. He never seems to run out of steam and his characters are always believable and well thought out--as are his plots. Highly recommended.
Also recommended: THE SECOND CHAIR and BARK OF THE DOGWOOD

3.0 out of 5 stars A Will Lee story - but no the best., Jan. 12 2004
Tanya L. Schaub "TSchlaack" (Livermore, Maine USA) - See all my reviews
Before long (with the help of a kid) the FBI is able to find a web page that tracks the potential victims. But, who is doing the killing?
I found this one to be a good thriller but not up to the standards of the normal Woods stories. Many of the characters we already know and they don't develop a whole lot. You do have a couple of tricks and turns in the story, especially near the end. I felt he spent a bit of this book setting up the next one, which means I am glad I listened to this one or I would be lost. Not a bad listen but not in my top 5 Stuart Woods books.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite enjoyable and really 3+ stars, Dec 29 2003
This review is from: Capital Crimes (Hardcover)
A good, quick thriller read. I could barely put it down. Stone Barrington is a little slick for me at times. This Will Lee book is just right even though Will Lee is a peripheral character. This book also reminds me a little bit of Baldacchi another great thriller writer. Hope that Woods brings Kinney back, the real hero here. I'm amazed that the author can juggle 3 series.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK read, but I like the Stone Barrington series better..., Dec 27 2003
Thomas Duff "Duffbert" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Capital Crimes (Hardcover)
I'm back from our Christmas trip to visit the relatives, so it's time to get caught up on a book review. Yesterday I started (and finished) Capital Crimes by Stuart Woods. Woods brings back one of his earlier characters (Will Lee) in this political crime mystery. I must say I like the Stone Barrington novels better... A serial killer is starting to pick off a number of right-wing government officials and media celebrities. A web site is discovered that shows who is on the list to be killed, and the FBI has to figure it out quickly before he strikes again. Perhaps it's because I haven't read the prior Will Lee novels in awhile, but this book lacked any depth or substance. The story is OK, but the characters are just "there". Not much development if they were meant to stand on their own in this book. If there's no other recreational reading to be had, I'd say go for it, but if you have other titles you want to start first, this one can wait.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stuart Woods and the White House, Dec 25 2003
Daniel Steiner (Riverside, CT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Capital Crimes (Hardcover)
Again Will Lee center of a novel. Very well written and never boring: an easy read for a winter evening.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Predictable!, Dec 23 2003
Gary Turner (Powder Springs, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Capital Crimes (Hardcover)
As a sometimes fan of Stuart Woods, and as a reader of all the Will Lee novels, I picked this book up to stay in the loop. Let me say that I loved Chiefs, liked Grass Roots and Run Before the Wind, and tolerated The Run. However, this was just all too predictable from beginning to end. Mr. Woods puts out so many books that it seems like he is just spewing words out of his computer. If you are looking for a thriller, read David Baldacci's Split Second.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Capital Crimes:Will Lee Novel(Lib)(Unbr)
Capital Crimes:Will Lee Novel(Lib)(Unbr) by Stuart Woods (Audio Cassette - Oct. 13 2003)
Used & New from: CDN$ 8.70