Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools Furniture

Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
on September 9, 2010
I have read many books for the lay-person on physics where they try to explain the symmetry aspect of the subject but this book is easily the best I have encountered so far. Starting with Nother's theorem, everything from relativity to quantum mechanics is covered using little mathematics. In particular, I have always had difficulty understanding guage fields and how they provide the fundametal forces but this book provides a clear non-mathematical explaination.

The appendix provides detailed step-by-step explanation of how symmetry groups work.

A little history and philosophy is thrown in too. An example which I found interesting is how long ago was it realised that light had a finite speed? I found the answer surprising.

Although the writing style is light, the subject matter is certainly not "dumbed down". I recommend this book to anyone who has a more than casual interest in physics.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again