5.0 out of 5 stars Goon
This is a must read for all sports fans! Or for that matter, anyone who has ever wondered why fighting is, and always has been, part of the game of Hockey. This book gives the reader a rare glimpse into what it is like to be a professional hockey fighter. A true "gun for hire".
It shares with you all the intimate details of being a minor league roughian...
Published on Sept. 12 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars how the hell am i supposed to afford an 800 dollar book?
why's this so expensive? i want to read it but can't afford the price. not impressed at all with this.
Published on Nov. 19 2012 by cat

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Goon, Sept. 12 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Goon (Paperback)
It shares with you all the intimate details of being a minor league roughian. Such as the long bus rides, from one mill Town to the next. And some of the dialoge between the two combatants prior to their bare knuckled duels.
It is also the true story of a person pursuing, and acheiving a dream. Doug Smith did not start skating until he was 19! Only a few years later he was playing professional hockey. He got there by working hard and punching hard. And he never lost his sense of humor along the way.
I highly recommend this to anyone who likes sports, comedy, and seeing someone acheive their dreams.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doug the Thug!, Dec 30 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Goon (Paperback)
I'm an avid hockey fan and I have a library of tapes that have fights from Behn Wilson and Dave Shultz to Bob Probert and Tony Twist. This is an excellent book and its prompted me to seek out tapes of guys like Frank Bialowas and of course Doug himself. I remember talking to Doug at the Mall in Hanover with some of my friends about the best goons in the business and the dynamics of how the role was to be played. Doug explains it vividly, humbly and honestly while at the same time making it seem like the ultimate adventure in this book. This is a must-read for all hockey fight fans or just hockey fans in general. Great book fellas and thanks for living out one of my fantasies Doug.
It's pretty cool that Ron Delorme posted here by the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Money well spent-GOON, March 2 2003
Ron Delorme (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goon (Paperback)
I have to disagree with the last review from "Hanover" who thought this book was "not worth the money". I have read numerous hockey books and this one is a jewel. There are no books to my knowledge that give such an in depth look at the lifestyle of a minor leaguer who is literally fighting for his job every game. GOON has opened my eyes to the pressures and dedication it takes to successfully achieve a dream that nobody feels you can.
Last reviewer; being from the hometown of the author, its sounds as though you have a personal issue with him...were you one of his victims on the ponds ??

5.0 out of 5 stars Goon is great, Aug. 29 2003
Bill C (Mamaroneck, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goon (Paperback)
Doug Smith takes us on an honest journey in to minor league hockey. Smith tells it honestly, when he lost fights he admits it, when he won, he lets you know. The book is entertaining, and without the usual political correctness that most sports books incorporate. Fighting is a part of hockey, and Smith lived it and shares what it is truley like to be a part of such a brutal aspect of this sport. I would like to see it made in to a movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 9 2003
This review is from: Goon (Paperback)
Doug and Adam took me deep into places a hockey fight fan could never have gone before, it's a transport devise in paper. If you like the world of hockey fights and fighters, this is a must read but I'd bet every hockey fan would enjoy this book as well. As they say, no one every goes for popcorn during a hockey fight, no one who reads this book can put it down. Many thanks to Doug and Adam for getting this book out to us fans of Goons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, March 9 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars It Beats Tiger and The Hammer's Books, March 9 2003

4.0 out of 5 stars Humoristic, Nov. 3 2002
Toine Geesink (Oss, Noord Brabant Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goon (Paperback)
Having played in Canadian junior hockey for one season in the mid eighties I recognised a lot of "inside hockey quotes". The book was fun to read and gives you a pretty good inside look in the world of minor hockey leagues. The book also shows how the east coast league developed from a "cocktail" league to a professional organisation. I recommand everybody, but specially (former)hockeyplayers, this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goon is Good!, April 9 2004
Kevin J. Riggott (Cooper City, FL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goon (Paperback)
I just finshed the book and wished Doug had played for more teams over the years so the story could continue. Doug comes across as a very likeable guy who happens to get his thrills by dropping the gloves with anyone who wants to go. Great insight into the workings of minor league hockey. The book's not expensive, it's easy to read, and very entertaining. Thanks for your memories, Doug!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Like the Book!, March 5 2003
Mike (Framingham, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goon (Paperback)
Wow, just like you wrote in the book about the jealousy in your hometown, and "Reader from Hanover" proves it! I must admit, I probably wouldn't have liked you much either back then, but if you were a choir boy I don't think you would have been able to write this book in the first place. My only complaint is that the book wasn't longer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Goon
Goon by Adam Frattasio (Paperback - June 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 625.07