march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

As an individual who has read MANY self help books, mostly pertaining to relationships, I was truly amazed by this book and HIGHLY recommend it for any man OR woman that craves the elusive balance of love and PEACE in their union. It is a real page turner that I too was not able to put down. It has been a long time since I read a book with my highlighter! Lol
When I shared bits of it with my Fella, he was impressed on how it sounded TRUE to him. He never seemed to get the sense that I was trying to "teach" or "correct" him or get him to make changes to himself that would suit MY needs. I hope one day he chooses to read it.
I have never felt impressed upon to write a review on a product as strongly as I feel impressed upon to write this one. Whether you are currently married or you are single looking for a mate...this is the handbook for you. I believe this book is truly Biblically inspired based on Ephesians 5:33. In all of the years I have read or heard that verse, I had NEVER noticed the word RESPECT in it. This God breathed verse is indeed the KEY that I was not fortunate enough to have read when I was Married. I actually lived through an example of the success of this theory in my personal life Without knowing it with (sadly) my now ex-Husband. One time while he was paying for our meal he automatically figured out a total in his mind that produced not only a generous tip to our waitress but also ended in a nice even dollar figure on our debit card bill. When we left the restaurant, I commented to him, "That's amazing how you always do that. How you can SO quicky calculate the total of the bill, include the tip and always come out with a nicely rounded up figure!" This was something he had always done throughout our Marriage but I'd never voiced my admiration of him for it until that moment. After that experience he always took his time calculating the bill and smiled at me each time. ; )
I know, without a doubt, we would have never divorced if we'd of had this book. I know it seems like NO book could deliver all things but this book is grounded in Scripture and THAT is ALL it requires to be based upon the TRUTH. Gentlemen, next time you are feeling disrespected in an argument with your Lady, remind her that even though you are having this disagreement, you need her to know how much you love her. Ladies, when you voice your respect, admiration and appreciation for ANYTHING you feel towards your Man for what he does or who he is, VOICE it...Ladies and Gentleman...pay attention to your results! BUY THIS BOOK. ; )
on March 20, 2012
I read this book like a thriller novel - I actually couldn't put it down. It explained so many of the gaps in my mostly-healthy marriage. I found his views on the roles in marriage very refreshing and eye-opening while still being biblically sound and not at all kooky. He makes it very clear that men and women are equal in marriage and that both require love AND respect, but shows that God has made men to need respect in particular, and that women are specially designed to need love. As a woman I found it difficult sometimes to read about giving unconditional respect to my husband. In this day and age, we are told that respect is to be earned, not given unconditionally. But in a marriage that is struggling, someone has to make the first move! Too many TV shows hammer down the husbands as dumb, ignorant, beer-chugging oafs while their wives domineer the house. This book shows how to encourage your husband to lead your home, and how a man can love and honor his wife. Be the bigger person and offer your spouse love/respect first, and you will find yourself in a much, much more wonderful marriage!
on July 11, 2014
Excellent book from a Christian perspective but most of the principles are applicable to anyone in a relationship. My husband read this book before I did (he's not into self-help books at all) and he highly recommended it. I read it after he did and I would have to agree; the book helps each person in a relationship understand the other's viewpoint. The basic premise is this: Husbands, love your wives unconditionally. Wives, respect your husband unconditionally. Emerson Eggerich's book gives very sound advice as to how this can be done whether or not a significant other actually 'deserves' special treatment. The author also defines instances when principles do not apply, which is good, as there are times when it is wise to leave a relationship that destroys trust. It is easy to understand why this book is a best seller.
on January 12, 2013
This book does not give crazy ideas or impossible goals. This book simply breaks down the truth and provides easy ways to reintroduce these ideas into your life. Every couple should own this book and it should be given to every engaged/married couple. Even to couples who have been together for a long time as we all need reminders.
on March 22, 2008
I am a man who normally does not read or enjoy reading "inspirational" or "relational" books. My wife is the reader in these areas and is very wise and self-developed in these areas. Unfortunately, I usually don't read the books she recommends. However, this book is different. I liked it. It hits home to my basic needs. I think many women don't realize the importance to men of unconditional respect as described in this book. I'd recommend it strongly to any husband and wife who want to deepen their relationship. If you are a wife who can't get your husband to read inspirational books, relational books or marriage books, you might be pleasantly surprised to find him reading along with you and discussing this book with you.
on December 7, 2009
Two years ago, before I was married, I read this same book by Dr. Eggerich. At the time, I thought 'well, this sounds reasonable', and continued along my merry way after closing the front cover. I remember now that, at the time I'd picked the book up at the store, a woman mentioned to me 'this book saved my marriage, honestly... pay attention and you won't regret it'. Reading it through for a second time, after being married for a year and a half? Dr. Eggerich has it right.

Women need love, and men need respect. Both are mutually inclusive, because when a woman receives love she feels respected, and when a man is respected, it's a sign of love to him. Eliminate either love or respect, and couples start on what he terms 'the Crazy Cycle'. How do you stop the crazy cycle? It's all based on love and respect. Dr. Eggerich outlines what this means for both husbands and wives, what they can do to increase love and respect (and maintain it!), and how to prevent getting back on the Crazy Cycle in the future.

Whether you're dating, engaged, or married for any length of time, the Dr. speaks the truth... and it's worth a listen!
on May 26, 2014
marriage is not easy and it is definitely not a fairy tale! This book talks about how we, individually, can contribute into our marriage, to build up our spouse in Christ. Easy to read, a lot to reflect on.
on November 25, 2015
Amazing Book!
I read a lot of different books about marriage and relationship but this one is totally different. Has a lot of good points and new perspective.
Highly recommend for those who interested to know more about men and women.
on January 16, 2010
This marriage book is aimed at helping couples break free from their dysfunctional patterns and communication breakdowns. The book calls it 'the crazy cycle' when couples enter into a lose-lose argument with both parties left feeling confused and hurt. In order to breakout of this pattern, Eggerichs applies a biblical based framework for recognizing the needs of men and women. Man's biggest need according to Eggerichs is his need for respect and a woman's greatest need to be loved.

Now after reading the book, I have a better understanding of how I inadvertently trigger something in my wife, leaving her feeling like I'm withdrawing my love. And she too, had begun to be more aware when she stumbles into language that disrespects me and sends me running. Knowledge of how each of us operates based on language of love and respect can easily turn arguments around making them shorter in duration and less intense than before.

A while back my wife and I also attended a conference called Love and Respect put on by Dr. Emerson Eggerichs and his wife and it has made this book come more alive than perhaps it may have by simply reading it. The stories were helpful in this book, but having a real person in front of you sharing a personal story, as opposed to the story about 'Sarah' in the book, would make the experience and understanding of he topic more real. As it were, the books stories were helpful, but they were hard to totally identify with.

On the whole, I think my wife has benefited more from this book than I have. She is using words of respect that I really feel encouraged by. However, I've been left feeling still a little unclear of how to reframe my words of love towards her. Love is such an overly used word in our culture and it feels as if I'm left not knowing which words really hit home with her and which one's sound like a cheesy soap opera. This is my homework I guess to ask her when my words connect with her and when they don't.
on October 11, 2015
Bought this as a gift for my cousin who's engaged and getting married next year. She said its a really good book and what she liked about it is that it contains Biblical passages, each chapter is in line with God's Word.