4.0 out of 5 stars A way to do "this" and not be sleazy, slick or cheesy
It wasn't until I read this book that I felt anything positive about being in "sales". I had done it in my past and I was about to do it again and thank god for this book or I'd still be uncomfortable and tossing and turning in my sleep.
Published on Aug. 12 2001 by J. Zeaman

2.0 out of 5 stars Some Real advice, but a bit too Playful
Published on Jan. 1 2001 by Michael Pinto

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A way to do "this" and not be sleazy, slick or cheesy, Aug. 12 2001
J. Zeaman (Ashland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
We need a new word, "sales", as this book so aptly puts it, is something you do to someone else. You "sell" them on something. Nobody wants to be sold, we all avoid salespeople and we all feel stupid selling other people on something. And those who do enjoy "selling" someone are almost always in pursuit of their own "victory", oif beating the other person into buying from them, overcoming obstacles, leaping hurdles and getting the BIG CLOSE.
They aren't really focused on the other person, an urge I sometimes fall prey to myself. Our culture makes competition and personal victories very seductive, it is what we talk about, sports teams are rarely congratulated on their effort or fine play unless they win. We view so many things as black and white, which is not natural, throughout human history you can see cooperation as a dominant and prudent way to survive and thrive, not competition (see a dense, but brilliant book on this "Nonzero : The Logic of Human Destiny" by Robert Wright). Sales is a no-win game for everyone.
Maybe there isn't any word, the "trick", the "gimmick" that this book extols is genuiness, simply being real, if you will. You meet someone, you listen, you ask some good questions so that you understand them well and what they are trying to accomplish, if you think there might be a way that you or your company can help them you offer it to them, if not, you wish them well and part graciously.
What is that? Being human? Being real? "being real" has a vaguely cheesy sound to it too, my only complaint about this book is it's title which can turn people off before they even open it. Again maybe there is no word. Many of us will simply go out and meet people and listen well and feel good about what we are doing and be personally successful as well...or are those the same thing anyway :-)
The real value of this book is some excellent exercises you can do in a meeting with someone, things to really challenge you to break out of old patterns, very, very deeply ingrained patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Intent counts more than technique", July 9 2010
David S. Lee (Kanata, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Let's Get Real or Let's Not Play: Transforming the Buyer/Seller Relationship (Hardcover)
I was fortunate enough to attend a 1-day seminar with Mahan back in 1999, and along with this book AND the audio book (which I re-listen to quite often), it has given me a tried and true methodology to follow in working with my clients.

I first got into sales in the mid-80's working retail consumer electronics at the kind of place where no prices were on any of the products, and the sales people got whatever they could for a product as long as it was 'over cost'. This type of selling led to some very interesting displays of 'salesmanship', and I can say I've seen both the best and the worst of sales people in action.

What I've come to know is that there are people who might be considered 'natural' at sales, and that usually correlates to a strong charisma. With Mahan's methodology, the 'rest of us' can be confident in knowing we're doing sales the way it's supposed to be done, and I truly consider myself a partner with my clients now. If I don't feel that way, I simply choose not to play. Bottom line is I believe the best sales people are 'made' by learning exactly what Mahan is teaching.

Don't get me wrong, this is not a magic wand - it requires work to learn how to do this right and continual practice to make it 2nd nature. If sales/consulting is your game, this is a great book to have in your arsenal. It's indispensable to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some Real advice, but a bit too Playful, Jan. 1 2001
Michael Pinto "Anime Fan" (NYC, USA) - See all my reviews
This informal book is good if you do sales in a service/consulting related industry where the client may not quite know what they are looking for (or why). I really liked his ideas about trying to make presentations in person (because people don't really read proposals). There are some great tips on how to ask the right questions to find out what a potential client is really thinking. Seasoned sales professionals may find some of this advice old hat, but it's never bad to be reminded of some good basic ideas. Khalsa does have a weakness for having silly charts, acronyms and rambles a bit too long - by the end of the book I found myself wanting the author to get more to the point. But if you are new to sales or wouldn't mind a good refresher course this book is pretty useful, but by no means the definitive text on the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has depth and immedate use, Nov. 20 2013
Simon R. Brown (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
I really love the way this book unfolds the Sales situation with a combination of intensely practical examples and great underpinning theory

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but down to earth, April 27 2001
Want to know how to sell? You've got to sell value. That's the gist of the book. Determining what's of value to your client and how to provide a solution that meets this value criteria is what this book is all about.
If you ever had any client facing role (you might be a consultant, or you might be a store clerk or a sales person of any kind) you will benefit greatly from reading this book. I loved Mahan's approach of first getting down to the major issues or opportunities, finding out their symptoms and solution benefits and then formulating a solution.
Though I don't directly sell, as an Internet professional I am constantly in front of clients, recommending solutions. I find this material invaluable as a means of eliciting client participation during the solutions process.
The book looks thick, but that's because of the paper. A very easy read. A great book to buy and keep.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read if you're a student of the game, Dec 29 1999
While it is true that this book will assist you in helping your clients become more successful, it does something more personal. It helps yourself become even more polished and professional. If I had to reflect on a true consultant's guide and considered the dozens of print literature I have read on sales consulting, this book is the best. It is easy to follow and offers a unique message to those who are a student to the game of selling. Anyone who claims that he/she is serious about their sales profession and has not read this book is, in the end, not serious about their career.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for consultants, March 31 2011
Good book with great insights, especially useful for high end consultants. Not as much directed toward people trying to sell low cost products/services.

4.0 out of 5 stars Let's Get Real, Feb. 27 2010
D. Greenberg "Exec. Asst." (Toronto, CA) - See all my reviews
Although the shipping to Canada took a little longer than expected, the book arrived in better than expected condition. Additionally, when I placed an inquiry with the seller, my question was promply answered. I would definitely use this seller again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book; Could have been a GREAT book, July 31 2003
By A Customer
This book is one of the most accessible, erudite and informative books on consulting I've ever read. The conversational writing style makes the complex topic understandable. Having said that, the book has more spelling errors than any published book I've ever read. Some of them are GLARING errors too. I'm not sure if they rushed this book to press in 1999 to capitalize on the tech (read: consulting) boom that was happening at the time, but the book is very poorly edited in that regard. These are rookie mistakes. That speaks -- at some level -- to the overall credibility of the book. One of the assertions made in the book is to make sure your written proposal is well-written. If your resume (proposal) has spelling errors, that's just one more reason to disqualify you -- even if you're qualified for the job.
But that shouldn't be enough to keep you from buying this book. Khalsa lays out an easy-to-follow (if not complex) framework for getting to the bottom of a client's problem and finding the right solution for them.
It's a must-read if you're a consultant or if you purchase consulting services.

5.0 out of 5 stars The guru in salesmanship, July 28 2003
R. Thammaneewong (Bangkok Thailand) - See all my reviews
I first picked up the auditio tapes from one of Franklin Covey stores as recommend by the store manager. I listened to the tape. I think the book concept is very applicable and great. I really like his part on issue, evidence, and impact when it comes to analyzing issues. I use it in my consulting work now. I would recommend this to everyone who loves to learn the art of salemanship or marketing. I later went back to the USA and bought CD and the book. I bought more than 200 books in 3 years. This is the only title I bought 3 sets of the same title. Mahan is the man. If you want a book on marketing a consulting service. LETS GET REAL with Mahan Book and LETS NOT PLAY WITH OTHER BOOKS TOO MUCH. Go right into the sfuff in the book Mahan has to offer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›