4.0 out of 5 stars A way to do "this" and not be sleazy, slick or cheesy
It wasn't until I read this book that I felt anything positive about being in "sales". I had done it in my past and I was about to do it again and thank god for this book or I'd still be uncomfortable and tossing and turning in my sleep.
Published on Aug. 12 2001 by J. Zeaman

2.0 out of 5 stars Some Real advice, but a bit too Playful
Published on Jan. 1 2001 by Michael Pinto

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A way to do "this" and not be sleazy, slick or cheesy, Aug. 12 2001
J. Zeaman (Ashland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
We need a new word, "sales", as this book so aptly puts it, is something you do to someone else. You "sell" them on something. Nobody wants to be sold, we all avoid salespeople and we all feel stupid selling other people on something. And those who do enjoy "selling" someone are almost always in pursuit of their own "victory", oif beating the other person into buying from them, overcoming obstacles, leaping hurdles and getting the BIG CLOSE.
They aren't really focused on the other person, an urge I sometimes fall prey to myself. Our culture makes competition and personal victories very seductive, it is what we talk about, sports teams are rarely congratulated on their effort or fine play unless they win. We view so many things as black and white, which is not natural, throughout human history you can see cooperation as a dominant and prudent way to survive and thrive, not competition (see a dense, but brilliant book on this "Nonzero : The Logic of Human Destiny" by Robert Wright). Sales is a no-win game for everyone.
Maybe there isn't any word, the "trick", the "gimmick" that this book extols is genuiness, simply being real, if you will. You meet someone, you listen, you ask some good questions so that you understand them well and what they are trying to accomplish, if you think there might be a way that you or your company can help them you offer it to them, if not, you wish them well and part graciously.
What is that? Being human? Being real? "being real" has a vaguely cheesy sound to it too, my only complaint about this book is it's title which can turn people off before they even open it. Again maybe there is no word. Many of us will simply go out and meet people and listen well and feel good about what we are doing and be personally successful as well...or are those the same thing anyway :-)
The real value of this book is some excellent exercises you can do in a meeting with someone, things to really challenge you to break out of old patterns, very, very deeply ingrained patterns.

2.0 out of 5 stars Some Real advice, but a bit too Playful, Jan. 1 2001
Michael Pinto "Anime Fan" (NYC, USA) - See all my reviews
This informal book is good if you do sales in a service/consulting related industry where the client may not quite know what they are looking for (or why). I really liked his ideas about trying to make presentations in person (because people don't really read proposals). There are some great tips on how to ask the right questions to find out what a potential client is really thinking. Seasoned sales professionals may find some of this advice old hat, but it's never bad to be reminded of some good basic ideas. Khalsa does have a weakness for having silly charts, acronyms and rambles a bit too long - by the end of the book I found myself wanting the author to get more to the point. But if you are new to sales or wouldn't mind a good refresher course this book is pretty useful, but by no means the definitive text on the subject.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book; Could have been a GREAT book, July 31 2003
By A Customer
This book is one of the most accessible, erudite and informative books on consulting I've ever read. The conversational writing style makes the complex topic understandable. Having said that, the book has more spelling errors than any published book I've ever read. Some of them are GLARING errors too. I'm not sure if they rushed this book to press in 1999 to capitalize on the tech (read: consulting) boom that was happening at the time, but the book is very poorly edited in that regard. These are rookie mistakes. That speaks -- at some level -- to the overall credibility of the book. One of the assertions made in the book is to make sure your written proposal is well-written. If your resume (proposal) has spelling errors, that's just one more reason to disqualify you -- even if you're qualified for the job.
But that shouldn't be enough to keep you from buying this book. Khalsa lays out an easy-to-follow (if not complex) framework for getting to the bottom of a client's problem and finding the right solution for them.
It's a must-read if you're a consultant or if you purchase consulting services.

5.0 out of 5 stars This work teaches how to show VALUE measurably!, March 10 2003
However much people like Mahan's book, the CD is even better! There are six CDs and I listened to them in my car as I drove to and from work. Mahan is a fantastic speaker. I think if I'd read the book, I'd have lent him a tone that he just doesn't have.
The CDs taught me how to go from a problem statement or solution idea and quantify how we will show success against that once we implement our idea. Many of you may have a technique already that can take you from a problem to a set of measures that can show improvement, but I did not.
While this work is targeted at doing sales, I have found it useful in requirements management and scope management for any project imaginable. It helps us to show the customer we are interested in their success more than in their list of features, and to ensure that what we are building truly adds value.
I strongly recommend this CD set to anyone who needs to prove the value of a solution, especially if they don't yet have a technique to do so.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for selling large deals, March 1 2002
There are literally thousands of books on selling and most leave you with the feeling that you need to shower after you have read them. This one does not. Lets get real has a reality about it and a discussion of a simple process that reenforces all the things you knew about selling. The book hits the right blend of anedotal stories -- so you can see how it would apply to you and discussion of the process elements -- so you can figure out how to apply it yourself. This is no Zig Ziglar book -- this is something I want to conciously try to use every time.
The book is very clearly written and highly usable, breaking each aspect of the approach into small digestable chunks. Its something you can read and more importantly re-read/refresh yourself easily.
There is one limitation of the book. It seems to be geared more toward longer multiple call sales cycles, rather than transaction selling. At least that is the way I read it. I could not see my local car dealer selling this way -- although I wish they would.
This book is one that is going into my frequently read shelf. I would strongly recommend this book to anyone who is looking to build commercial relationship with a client.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for selling large deals, March 1 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Try SPIN Selling By Which This Book Is Based On, Sept. 19 2000
By A Customer
I must say that this is quite a good book on selling. It has borrowed some useful ideas directly or indirectly from SPIN Selling, and Non-Manipulative Selling, which are the " real classics" in the field.
The ORDER model on selling as suggested in the book is also sound.
However, personally I still like SPIN Selling better because it is more practical, concise, and less conceptual in writing .
Try SPIN Selling and Non-manipulative Selling before you read this book. You will have more paradigm shift experiences.
To look back, I think books on selling by Brian Tracy, Tom Hopkins, and the like are less useful or heavyweight for the 21st Century because the buyers have become more sophisticated, and have already read a lot of books on selling themselves. To influence the buyers positively and effectively, the sellers must first equip themselves with cutting-edge, unpredictable selling skills. For this reason, you must read SPIN Selling first before you read this book.
Trust me !

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, but down to earth, April 27 2001
Want to know how to sell? You've got to sell value. That's the gist of the book. Determining what's of value to your client and how to provide a solution that meets this value criteria is what this book is all about.
If you ever had any client facing role (you might be a consultant, or you might be a store clerk or a sales person of any kind) you will benefit greatly from reading this book. I loved Mahan's approach of first getting down to the major issues or opportunities, finding out their symptoms and solution benefits and then formulating a solution.
Though I don't directly sell, as an Internet professional I am constantly in front of clients, recommending solutions. I find this material invaluable as a means of eliciting client participation during the solutions process.
The book looks thick, but that's because of the paper. A very easy read. A great book to buy and keep.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shortened our sales cycle and gave sales process credibilty, Aug. 18 1999
By A Customer
This book has shortened our sales cycle from a 6 month average to a 2.5 month average. No longer are we wasting money and time with customers that we can't help or don't really want help. I have always despised the hard sell, and the persuasive selling technics of so many experts in the field. Through mutual exploration we now find solutions with our clients that exactly meet thier needs or we don't do business, and we part friends - instead of trying to fulfil unknown expectations and losing the relationship forever. Using the ORDER model has given our sales process direction and is helping us develop true intent to helping our customers suceed. We are committed to this win - win philosophy.
Sales Director, Interwest Consulting Group

5.0 out of 5 stars The guru in salesmanship, July 28 2003
R. Thammaneewong (Bangkok Thailand) - See all my reviews
I first picked up the auditio tapes from one of Franklin Covey stores as recommend by the store manager. I listened to the tape. I think the book concept is very applicable and great. I really like his part on issue, evidence, and impact when it comes to analyzing issues. I use it in my consulting work now. I would recommend this to everyone who loves to learn the art of salemanship or marketing. I later went back to the USA and bought CD and the book. I bought more than 200 books in 3 years. This is the only title I bought 3 sets of the same title. Mahan is the man. If you want a book on marketing a consulting service. LETS GET REAL with Mahan Book and LETS NOT PLAY WITH OTHER BOOKS TOO MUCH. Go right into the sfuff in the book Mahan has to offer.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›