1 Review

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing: A Very Strange Trip, May 29 2004
J. Naft (Cambridge, MA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Very Strange Trip (Hardcover)
This book was very disappointing to me. I've always been a big fan of Wolverton's StarWars books and I never knew he wrote other types of stories. With Wolverton's name and an awesome cover, I couldn't resist buying this one. And the inside flap summary sounded interesting enough.
What I soon found out, though, was that that's ALL I had bought: a name and a cover. I think Wolverton did his best to salvage this story; after all, the plot flowed okay and was a fun, light read. I was through with this book in a single afternoon and it was easy enoguh to get through. However, I think Wolverton's talent as a writer could have better been spent on another Science Fiction piece of his own, not a rehashing of a rehashing of somebody else's ideas.
The storyline (i.e. Hubbard's original idea) was fatally flawed. It lacks the one thing that every good Science Fiction flick needs: Credibility, a real idea expanded in a unique way. It seems as though Hubbard took some 10 year old Cold War sentiments and the time machine cliche, stuck them together in a blender, and then poured the words out on paper as Russian contraband weapons and mysterious time travel devices. I could go on for hundreds of words about this, so I'll just sum it up: the story was boring, unoriginal, and unrealistic.
Maybe worth a library checkout if you're really into time travel stories, but overall I found it lacking in the elements of a good science fiction piece.

A Very Strange Trip
A Very Strange Trip by L. Ron Hubbard (Hardcover - Aug. 2002)
Used & New from: CDN$ 23.20