5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful coffee table book
This books brought back lots of memeories for all my family. The pictures were excellent!! The stories of how they came to be and how they were reconstucted were so interesting. Alot of history here. A must have for all Chicagoans. I bought 5 of these as Christmas gifts for my family and friends. Thanks.
Published on April 4 2001 by Sue Durso

3.0 out of 5 stars flawed but fun Chicago historical pictorial
Published on Feb. 12 2003 by audrey

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Review of Past and Present, Sept. 15 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: CHICAGO THEN AND NOW (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book. Some of the pictures do not compare well because they were taken at different angles or from a different side of the street. Nevertheless, this is a great book. I found lots of stuff to compare. Native Chicagoans, who take an interest in the city, will like it. I purchased it for my brother for Christmas...liked it so much I purchased one for myself.

3.0 out of 5 stars flawed but fun Chicago historical pictorial, Feb. 12 2003
audrey (white mtns) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CHICAGO THEN AND NOW (Hardcover)
I have several of these "then and now" books, and I would say this is the weakest of the bunch. I dearly love Chicago, and some of the old photographs were very interesting, but the book has a few problems. First, the photographic perspectives are rarely in synch, so it is difficult to compare the two pictures directly; either the angle is off to the side, or it's at a different distance. This seems rather to defeat the purpose of a "then and now" theme, which is to facilitate comparison. Secondly, a great many of the buildings and scenes are virtually identical to what they were, so one wonders why they were included. Finally, a map should have been included.
On the positive side, many of Chicago's key spots are targeted, such as the Water Tower, the stockyards and Hull House, and the paragraphs that accompany each picture do convey a lot of interesting information.
If you are interested in Chicago or urban history you will undoubtedly still enjoy this volume, but lower your expectations a bit before the book arrives so you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars A look at old Chicago, Jan. 21 2002
Timothy J. Mccarthy "TJ" (Chicago) - See all my reviews
This review is from: CHICAGO THEN AND NOW (Hardcover)
An interesting look at Chicago as it appeared in the past, compared to now. More than just a picture book, it also gives some historical perspective for each location. If you're a Chicagoan, this is a must have. There are two problems that keep this from getting a top ranking. First, the focus of a "then and now" book should be to compare and contrast, so we can see how much has changed. There's several locations shown here that haven't really changed, and you wonder why they were included. Also, the "then" and "now" pictures should be shot from roughly the same location, showing the same perspective. That's not always the case here, and you may have to spend some time figuring out how to get things lined up. Still, it's a good way to see how the city used to look, and a rare look at some of the now-missing architectural treasures.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful coffee table book, April 4 2001
Sue Durso (Des Plaines, IL USA) - See all my reviews

ARRAY(0xa9a623f0)

Chicago Then and Now (Compact)
Chicago Then and Now (Compact) by Elizabeth McNulty (Paperback - April 15 2007)
CDN$ 14.95 CDN$ 11.96