5.0 out of 5 stars Funny & Teaches
I gotta tell you, I usually hate how to books. The writer usually takes a superior posture and makes it seem like the reader is an idiot. With that said, I want to learn how to write comedy, and Colin Quinn is one of the funniest guys I know, and he did the book blurb, so I thought I'd give it a shot.
I'm glad I did. First of all, it was an easy read - very funny at...
Published on July 14 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars it's okay
This is an okay read. Unfortunately it doesn't contain enough examples for me to be really useful. In defense of the book I have to say it's probably the hardest thing to teach someone to be funny. It's like when you have to explain a joke to someone who doesn't get it, it's not funny anymore.
Published 14 months ago by Berni

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny & Teaches, July 14 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Comedy Writing (Paperback)
I'm glad I did. First of all, it was an easy read - very funny at times, and I could easily understand everything in the book. The next thing is, it works. All the things and exercises worked like a charm.
For me the best part was the pages on Sitcoms. I actually feel like I could write one. Everything about the chapter was clear, right down to the way the page should look!
Anytime you can have a fun read, and learn, you're ahead of the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars It covers everything, July 14 2004
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Comedy Writing (Paperback)
Wow! I've long been a fan of comedy and wanted to write it. I picked up this book on a lark. It covered sketch, stand up comedy, sitcoms, everything! The examples were easy to understand, and very funny. The book was also filled with great quotes from people I heard of. Good job.

2.0 out of 5 stars it's okay, July 26 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe not for me., Sept. 16 2009
Valerie Brillant-blais (québec, qc, canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Comedy Writing (Paperback)
I bought this book to have few hint in comedy writing. I found it poorly structured. It's hard to find easily an information. The autor is jumping from one subject to another. And above all, all the examples are sitcom or jokes I find unfunny. Maybe if I was a senfield fan I would like this book. Sorry.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Comedy Writing
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Comedy Writing by James Mendrinos (Paperback - July 5 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 7.79