5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Deep!
I loved this latest from Brene Brown.

This book is simple and a quick read - but as deep as you want it to be. There are no quick fixes here - the journey to self-acceptance is a life-long one for many of us.

Published on Nov. 22 2011 by Mrs. Emma L. Elsey

1.0 out of 5 stars I am not into religion this way. Everything that ...
I am not into religion this way. Everything that happens is there for me to learn or explore, there is no such thing as imperfections only mis-understanding of what we are given, or actually need.
Published 4 months ago by Adrian de Jong

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Deep!, Nov. 22 2011
Mrs. Emma L. Elsey "Emma-Louise Elsey" (Salt Spring Island, BC) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are (Paperback)
I loved this latest from Brene Brown.

But there are plenty of signposts, strategies and helpful tips/strategies. There are plenty of stories to help the learning make sense to us. There is plenty of summing up - of years of research - into definitions that give us Brene's understanding of a wholehearted life.

I remember when I started my self-acceptance journey how resistant I was to accepting the power of our irrational and illogial emotions. How busy I was denying shame, the feelings of unworthiness etc. If I had read this in the beginning I may have dismissed it because I wasn't ready to hear the (sometimes hard to hear) messages contained in this book. And I certainly wasn't ready to face the fear and shame and tell others about it!

So, I think this book may be more valuable to those who have ALREADY done some work on their self-acceptance journey - and get the basics - that we are all driven by the need to feel loved, to belong, to be accepted. If you don't already get that (or aren't able to be open to it yet), you may find this too much of a leap into the unknown.

But then that very much depends you!

This book is NOT going to fix you. Only you can do that! But it will give you pointers, support, encouragement and new understandings. And Brene's stories, by showing her vulnerability, give us strength and courage to step out and be courageous, authentic and powerful - just like her!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Nov. 3 2013
Merilyne Brown "M. Brown" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
Brene Brown is bang on with her research and writing. I am getting professional help myself at the moment and my therapist is monitoring the course I am taking with Brene and Oprah. She also thinks that this is an excellent book a nd that the information is very helpful and easy to understand and put into practise.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Sept. 1 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is a great little book to help oneself with their identity and vulnerability. The author is a great writer and talks from her own experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone interested in letting go of the perfectionist in them, Jan. 20 2013
I read this book over a year ago, and I still think about it on a weekly basis. There is so much wisdom in Brown's words, and I loved that it was delivered in an approachable manner. I also appreciated the author's own authenticity in offering personal examples. This book delivered a few a-ha moments, was packed with practical how-to tips, and was overall inspirational in my journey towards self-acceptance. Thank you, Brene Brown.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Gifts of Imperfection, April 3 2011
G. Reilly (Ottawa canada) - See all my reviews
This an interesting book on how to grow into a 'shame resistant' person. It an easy read, the author goes to some effort to normalize the responses most of us have towards criticism that comes from within us or from the world around us. We can all benefit from following the 10 steps explained by the author towards living life in an authentic 'Wholehearted' manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, Nov. 7 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
A great read! Everyone should read this book! Truly makes you think about your our life and how easy changes can be made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book. Very informative., July 6 2013
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I went through an awakening about 30 years ago. It took some doing to toss out the values that I had been programed to believe by my parents and other authority figures. Eventually I became the person I was meant to be and much happier.

Of course, I wanted to share my experience so others could benefit form my experience but found it difficult to explain.

Brene does a fantastic job telling of her experience at letting go of the right/wrong, good/bad and smart/stupid black and white thinking.

The best part is she write like any friend or neighbor might speak

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, March 1 2013
Easy to connect and get to know Brene Brown. Her writing style is humorous and very 'real' at the same time. Best part is the subject is so very important and gives understanding to why we behave the way we do and why we are all on some level socially anxious. Great book, recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable book!, Dec 29 2012
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This is the first Brene Brown book I read after I was introduced to her on her Ted Talks. This book was really life changing, Brene Brown is so wise in her courage to share with us her stories of her own struggles. It really gives the reader something to relate to, which is really helpful in seeing how to use the information for your own personal growth. I highly recommend this book and anything Brene Brown has written, I've read it all!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant to listen to, easy to understand, March 18 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I love how this audio-book combines research and personal anecdotes to create a compelling explanation of how we sell ourselves short when we lack courage, compassion and connection. I like that it's not a "how-to" but a story (actually a bunch of stories) that illustrates what is needed for whole-hearted living, and what gets in the way. It's reassuring to know that everyone faces similar obstacles, and encouraging to know that one can become more whole-hearted by dealing with them.

The narrator's voice is usually pleasant enough, though she occasionally become obnoxiously perky.

I also like that, unlike other audiobooks I have downloaded, this one is broken down into several tracks per chapter, so you can easily go back and find bits that were of particular interest without having to scroll through the whole length of the book.

CDN$ 17.50 CDN$ 12.64