4.0 out of 5 stars Deep Thinkers Only
What a different book. I picked it up, knowing it had been around forever and I had a mild curiosity what it had in it. I've quoted Sun Tzu often enough, especially in the old Quote meme I used to host, but felt weird having never read the book.
Amazon had it free and that was my golden opportunity to read it and see exactly what I had been missing...
Published 3 months ago by fredamans

3.0 out of 5 stars A few grains of truth in a lot of chaff
Today many of Sun Tzu quotas are floating around mixed with Shakespeare and the Bible. And as with many of the quote they are out of context and misleading. The quoter usually thinks repeating the word is some sort of magic.

Published on July 21 2006 by bernie

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep Thinkers Only, April 6 2014
fredamans (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Philosophy.
Aren't most philosophical statements just common sense told in parable? That's how I see them, and that was especially true in this book. Most of the points or statements Sun Tzu made, I felt were common sense if you just sat and thought about it.
I took time after each point/statement and thought hard about what it meant. Sometimes you didn't have to think hard at all, it was plain as day. Each one rang true, and each one was different from the last.
Look, I know we are not a world where every country is at war. But this book isn't just about fighting a war on land, it also touches on the wars we have within ourselves.
Sadly, I don't think everyone will 'get' this book. Nor will everyone enjoying reading it, but I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars ebook, May 17 2014
This review is from: The Art of War (Kindle Edition)
read some of it can see how it is diametrically opposed to my way of handling things.still very good book

2.0 out of 5 stars "Incomplete" edition, March 31 2014
A very basic edition without any meaningful comments or preface. You get the text, but not much else: should not be surprised, I suppose, considering the very low price.

5.0 out of 5 stars still one of the best lessons for everyone to learn., Jan. 22 2014
This review is from: The Art of War (Hardcover)
The Chinese have lived by these lessons for centuries and they still are using them to create a dynasty for the future. Don't believe it? Look what's going on in the financial world today. The Chinese are preparing and the rest of the world is destroying their currency and losing all jobs that actually produce goods to the Chinese. This is a book about strategy more than it is about war. It's how to use your brains not your brawn. Really read the title. War is an art form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, Oct. 15 2013
This review is from: The Art of War (Kindle Edition)
did not read this book yet but at 99 cents it is worth having on my kindle. Will read eventually, as it is a classic

3.0 out of 5 stars A few grains of truth in a lot of chaff, July 21 2006
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Most versions of this work spend more time trying to identify and qualify Sun Tzu's writings than just quoting them. I will not go through all the arguments as to who "wrote what when" or "translated what when" as you can read this for yourself.

Another distraction is the attempt to show how the book was applied or not applied in recent wars. This may be interesting to someone whose intention is to apply the theories of Sun Tzu; however it is not his writing but someone else's interpretation of its application.

Now let's finally get to Sun Tzu. It is easy with hindsight and a closer look at the future to dismiss Sun Tzu as his practical tactical knowledge is of a time and place long gone. He spends a lot of time on the use of weapons and information gathering techniques of the time. This can be interesting in a historical context; other wise it is quite amusing.

Oh yes those grains of truth I mentioned, well they may sound like clich's but they are still viable. "Know your enemy and know yourself". Others are just practical sense and statistical outcomes that you learn in any military training. I could go through the list, but again that is why you buy the book.

Now just as you decide that the book is outdated for any practical purposes today we have artillery and now stealth and precision, the reminder that "no two wars are alike" and "it is flexibility that makes a difference" is being shown today to still be true. Even in today's wars there is a need for good intelligence and deception. We put a lot of time and energy into Psy-Ops. Sun Tzu shows the advantage in specialized units and crack troops.

I have spent several years in the military and in business and can say this book is a nice addition to history, otherwise of very little value to today's world for war or business.

The most abuse of this book is trying to use it for projects as project management is a science that that was in its infancy at the time this book was written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be misinterpreted with War, Tact., Jan. 3 2002
This review is from: The Art of War (Paperback)
Many seem to think the only reason this book was written was for war strategy. The Ancients who wrote this thought more so of ways to enhance performance in general. That should not come as surprise to anyone slightly familiar with Oriental doctrines. A Mother could benefit from reading this book, then again a leader of a nuclear power as well. I strongly recommend another similar book titled SB 1 or God that speaks of the battle of Armageddon fighting the Chinese with modern strategy and weapons, also carries over to everyday tactics, By Karl Mark Maddox.

4.0 out of 5 stars AP World History Review, Aug. 21 2001
Ashley Breier (Temecula, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of War (Paperback)
I read the book entitled, The Art of War by Sun Tzu. I feel that Sun Tzu´¿s purpose of writing this book is that of teaching war strategies. His emphasis was on not killing people, rather that of emerging victorious in the least amount of time. He was much more interested in confusion rather than massacre. Sun Tzu stresses that ´¿the war´¿ needs to be quickly won, he has been quoted to say, ´¿There has never been a protracted war from which a country has benefited.´¿ I believe that even today, these strategies that Sun Tzu came up with, prove to be effective. Deception, not necessarily deceit, is one of the principal concepts in this novel. Sun Tzu had first hand experience in The Art of War; therefore his essays are provoking and believable. Sun Tzu´¿s theories on war can be applied to a great many things, such as business and sports. Sun Tzu accomplished his goal, that being to teach people his theories on war. He was, during his time, a very unique man, and during our time, he still is a very unique man. The original novel was written by Sun Tzu in about 400 B.C. There has been much deliberation about when Sun Tzu existed, or even if he existed. It is only an approximation to say he was around in 400 B.C. Due to the words he uses and his descriptions of the time period, scholars have reach an approximate time in which he lived. The translator of Sun Tzu´¿s essays makes this information readily available and understandable. It has then been translated many times. I read the version translated by, Samuel B. Griffith. Samuel B. Griffith did an obscene amount of research on this project. He includes an extensive bibliography as well as a recognition page. Some of his sources include; The Taiheiki. A Chronicle of Medieval Japan by Helen Craig, The Analects of Confucius by Arthur Waley, and The Development of Iron and Steel Technology in China by J. Needham. He also included an introduction to make the fourth century B.C. more understandable. Griffith explained to the unknowing person why Sun Tzu´¿s essays were written. That was extremely helpful due to the fact I had little knowledge of that time period. There were also numerous other things that helped to make the novel clearer such as; maps to show monopolies, paintings of Sun Tzu himself, and various Chinese symbols. One such painting was entitled Sun Tzu Drilling the Concubines of King Ho-Lu. This picture shows Sun Tzu trying to confuse his enemies through training women. I believe that this man was enthralled with this translation. You can feel that from his writing. His writing, though overwhelming at first, is easily understandable and rather entertaining. He provides many different views on the some subject. I really enjoyed reading this book. All of Griffith´¿s enthusiasm poured into his writing made it a quick, entertaining read. I must admit, during the first part of the book, I was rather bored. There was so much history that was going on while reading, I saw no point to the book being written. As I got farther into The Art of War I began to see things in a different light. The words began to mean something to me. I was able to relate some of the phrases into my own life. That changed everything for me. In my mind, and hopefully in everyone else´¿s mind that has read this book, this was indeed a book that needed to be written. I think that it should be required reading to all those studying business. It may seem weird that a book written about war pertains to business; however, many strategies taken metaphorically can help a great many people. People in the navy, military, or the army should read this book as well. I think it is rather obvious why they should read it though. If you do not fit into any of these categories, you should still read the essays. If not for anything else it can teach you quite a bit about early Chinese culture. I think any person can take away something from this book. Whether it is to not be so blunt, not let others control you, or something simpler like having a plan and accomplishing it in the shortest amount of time. I advise everyone to at least attempt to read these essays by Sun Tzu. You will not regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to run a war or Business, June 26 2000
M. A. Ramos (Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The art of war (Hardcover)
Sun Tzu "The Art of War" was excellent. This book is a great book on strategy. Whether you command a nations army, war games or a moderen business. If the reader uses some of these war tactics and strategies in the modern world, they may find it easy to relate. Thus it is easy to relate to this book. Even rivals in sports and entertainment can be outwitted by the wisdom in this book. It also adds examples of some actions, which show how these sayings and writings apply to the real world.
So no matter what you were looking for in this book, whether it be business, sports, war games, or actual wars, you can be sure to learn more on how to best deal with the situation through the strategies in this book.
The book is timeless....and should be required reading for all persons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an instruction book for ass-whoopin', April 11 2005
Joe Breed (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Art of War (Paperback)
It is interesting to note that all of the readers see this as a text on war, and how to beat your enemies. The first part of the book should be a leson to all of the war-mongers out there, that is If You Go To War You Have Already Lost. The consequences to your own people and soldiers and even the land must be counted for years after the battle is done. Sun-Tzu explains this well, and proceeds to explain how to wage a war causing the minimum amount of damage and suffering.

The Art of War (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
The Art of War (Barnes & Noble Classics Series) by Sun Tzu (Mass Market Paperback - May 1 2003)
CDN$ 4.95