4.0 out of 5 stars a good read
Published on Dec 16 2011 by Moni

Published on March 29 2010 by Julie Anderson

2.0 out of 5 stars The Rabbi should have published this book wehn Michael was Alive!, March 29 2010
Julie Anderson (LEDUC, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Michael Jackson Tapes: A Tragic Icon Reveals His Soul in Intimate Conversation (Hardcover)
I have mixed reviews of this book..While I like to see what Michael thought about things...the Rabbi should not have published this after his death..They had a falling out..and some things I agree if they are really true,from the rabbi..that Michael resisted true help.But The Rabbi also says that he is sure Michael was not guilty of the charges..Well why didnt he step up then???
The rabbi was visiting when Gavin was there..and hes sure nothing happened.,.which of course it didnt. I Am a huge Michael Jackson fan..and I love to read all things about him..but this after his death..then publish did not sit well with me...its was kinda
Chicken ----.of the rabbi...

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought and refunded on the same day, Sept. 29 2009
E.Cheung (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
I rushed off to the bookstore to grab a copy of this book because I wanted to hear Michael in his own words. I have refunded the book on the same day after realizing the author's intention to exploit Michael Jackson. There's no way I would support such an unethical cause. The author was supposed to be a spiritual advisor to Michael Jackson. This book contains transcripts of the conversations between Jackson and the author that were taped during their counseling sessions. I would think that it is illegal for a counselor to expose his client's private thoughts, due to the breaching of confidentiality. Half of the book is filled with the author's own (inaccurate) interpretations of Jackson's words.

After some research, I also found out that this rabbi/author is not a credible person. Jackson and the rabbi collaborated on the "Heal the Kids" foundation back in 2000-2001 and the rabbi was appointed the overseer of this charity. However, Jackson soon cut off ties with the rabbi after finding out that he has misappropriated the funds in the charity. In fact, the rabbi and his wife have been busted for misusing the funds of other charities as well. He was also ousted from his synagogue. Jackson and the rabbi haven't spoken since 2001.

If anyone wants Michael in his own words, there is no shortage of interviews on YouTube. The interviews with Geraldo in Jan 2005 and with Rev Jesse Jackson in March 2005 (conducted in the midst of the trial when he was under the most challenges) will give you pretty good picture of Michael's very stable state of mind. His interview with Ebony magazine in 2007 also revealed his true state of mind and undying passion for life. If you want to read a book, then Aphrodite Jones' book "Michael Jackson Conspiracy" is a must-read. Also, Michael Jackson's own "Dancing the Dreams" provides an excellent look at his innermost thoughts through his poems and essays.

Don't support this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Leach out to Exploit, Oct. 12 2009
I am offended and disgusted by both the aired tapes and the excerpts of this book that i have read-- pure garbage! The "rabbi's" book is an obvious attempt to exploit Michael Jackson, and in an incredibly unfavourable way, reminding me far too much of Martin Bashir. Reasons not to buy this book: A) a poorly written excuse of a book, filled with the rabbi's personal interpretations of Michael's words-- interpretations that are neither intelligent nor heartfelt. B) MJ broke off his relationship with this man due to Boteach's misuse of funds for Healtheworld foundation which Michael Jackson founded and trusted Boteach to administer. C)The author is using recorded conversations from MJ's very private counselling sessions, with no approval from MJ and no permission. He is taking such liberties with what was very private confidential conversation that I'm positive MJ would NOT want shared with the world. D) He is a sensationalist, a money grabbing scumbag who abandoned MJ when he most needed spiritual support-- who calls himself a friend???? E) It is very evident in his interpretations that Boteach didn't even remotely understand Michael Jackson and his passion, motivation, and commitment to healing and specifically helping children. He tried to convince MJ that he needed to never allow children into his home again, to bow to the press and ACT as they wanted him to, rather than live from his heart...and he calls himself a spiritual adviser????
BOYCOTT this book, it's garbage of the worst kind! Buy Aphrodite Jones's book if you want a good, fair read about MJ.

2.0 out of 5 stars no, Jan. 29 2014
i use to like (shmuley boteach) when i saw him on tv, but in this book ,i feel he is realy just making monney on the back of MJ, so sad
he used him for money ,dont buy this , it is not right

3.0 out of 5 stars The Tapes - Too much input from the rabbi, Nov. 3 2012
I really enjoyed being able to see Micheal Jackson's words quoted. However there is much too input from the rabbi, and he seems to being trying to really teach a lesson, and bring religion up whenever possible. I didn't mind the book, but it left me questioning whether or not he really "did what Michael wanted," as he says. The book was suppose to clear his name (what Mj actually wanted), not cause more speculation

1.0 out of 5 stars Saddening, June 9 2012
Rosanna DeRango (Toronto) - See all my reviews
Oh my,

I was excited when I first got this book, but it turned out to be nothing more than a fictional novel. The whole time the Rabbi tries to make himself sound like some relationship Guru/demi-God, while still defaming Michael Jackson. I thought the book was trying to make Michael look better- let the public see Michael in a brighter, more forgiving way. This did not come through. Some of the things the Rabbi said about Michael were plain rude. Many times in the book, the Rabbi (an alleged BEST friend of Michael), said he doesn't truly know if Michael wasn't guilty of his 1993/2003 allegations. That's disgusting.

I feel disgusted in myself for buying this book and supporting this man. I feel sorry for the Jackson family and pray that no more people will defame the Jackson name so perversely.

1.0 out of 5 stars Forget This One, Sept. 27 2009
YANA Girl (British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
On September 25, 2009, three months after Michael Jackson passed, an interview with the Rabbi was aired on national television. Rabbi Shmuley claimed that Michael had given him permission to write a book, based upon the audio-taped, intimate conversations with the superstar that he now possesses. He does not provide any written proof of that permission, nor did he seek to publish these tapes and subsequent book while Michael Jackson was alive.

Furthermore, Michael Jackson distanced himself from the Rabbi, sometime before the superstar's passing, which would indicate that there was a dissolution of the friendship and any goals that the two had planned to accomplish with one another.

Deeply troubling is the release of tapes about Michael's very personal and momentary reflections regarding his thoughts and feelings about specific people in his life, for example, references made about his father, his sister, and Madonna. Would anyone really believe that Michael would want those very private thoughts to be aired on national television? That belief is not consistent with the very private Michael Jackson that he reportedly was, nor is he present to comment about the matter.

Equally troubling, Rabbi Shmuley contributed Michael's demise primarily to the childhood woundedness that he never recovered from, even though Michael highlights how the media, consistently stereotyped the superstar in a denigrating manner, which Michael was deeply wounded by.

The Rabbi's blatant oversight regarding the environmental forces that inflicted pain upon Michael, primarily through the media's stereotyping stigmatization of the superstar, which haunted him throughout his adult life, reveals how little the Rabbi truly understood Michael's internal pain process.

Dateline needed to research the evolution of the relationship between Rabbi Shmuley and Michael Jackson before agreeing to air this unethical and perceptually, as well as factually inaccurate 'interview'. Perhaps, the network would have discovered that Michael Jackson no longer trusted the Rabbi, discontinuing his friendship with the Rabbi, due to the misuse of charity contributions that the Rabbi was entrusted to oversee.

To put it mildly, I am most deeply disappointed in Dateline, as well as in Meredith Vieira's characterization of the superstar through her narrative. Lastly, I am most deeply outraged by Rabbi Shmuley's decision to request that these tapes be aired, in order to promote a book that is highly questionable as to there being permission given by Michael Jackson.

3.0 out of 5 stars Read with an open mind, listen to MJ, not the Rabbi., Oct. 13 2009
I have to agree with most of the others who commented on this book. However, one thing that I had decided when I bought it was to look at it with an open mind first. So that's what I did. I bought it for the insight on how MJ's unique mind works, after all it was meant to be more intimate then other interviews. I was very skeptical with the Rabbi and his admition that MJ allowed this to be public, I highly doubt it. All is done and the book is here, and I gave it a chance. I was very impressed with the honesty that MJ showed the Rabbi ( I think MJ was more honest with him then the Rabbi was with MJ) I like the book for the understanding of MJ alone. I did NOT appreciate how the Rabbi was hinting all the way through the book that MJ was guilty of the 1993 Jordy case. The tone was very evident that the Rabbi has Judged MJ and didn't seem to do the research. The rabbi states that he had to apologize to his fellow high ranking Jewish friend who got to know MJ, about his lack of judgment for MJ before introducing him to them. That right there says to me that the Rabbi abandon MJ before finding truth. The second thing that was very irritating was the Rabbi constant "plug" for all his other books he has written. He throws them in after certain comments made by MJ on certain topics, then applies it to MJ's issues and how we should now purchase that book to understand MJ even more! It is loaded with an effort to exploit money using MJ's name. I also did not like the fact that this Rabbi was supposed to be a friend to MJ and admits that he just practically walks away from MJ when he needed him most, real friends don't that. So I highly doubt that the rabbi thought much of MJ as the entertainer we love. I found that the Rabbi seemed to not be a big fan of MJ as an entertainer, rather as a family man for children, which is fine, but it felt like the Rabbi was trying to pull MJ away from his song and dance. On the side of MJ, I think he was very genius in his answers to the Rabbi. And MJ's thoughts about history was brilliantly observed. But most of all, I love how MJ explains his need for the children that surround him. We needed to hear this from MJ when he was living as it would have perhaps been better understood. I am a firm believer that MJ was fully 100% innocent of both accusations and this book with MJ's words have made it more concrete. I would recommend this book with a lot of warnings,and if one could get it with out having to fork out the money is best,and to read it with an open mind to understand MJ's world as best as we can. So the above stars are for MJ's part of the book only.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good read, Dec 16 2011
Moni (Calgary,AB) - See all my reviews
The book was a good read and I liked it.I'm sure Rabbi Shmuley wouldn't do Michael any harm like some previous writer thought. OK, I don't agree with everything he said because sometimes it was little bit too religious for me. But he warned Michael of Martin Bashir and also of the Arvizo family. Unfortunately he didn't take his advice. I'm sure he was a friend who only wanted to help Michael.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rabbi Smuley doesn't have a clue who Michael Jackson really is., Aug. 16 2010
I found the parts that Michael Jackson spoke quite interesting. Shmuley twisted what Michael said time and time again. He never did get anywhere near the spirit and love who was Michael Jackson. I bought second hand and if you want to read it for the Michael parts I suggest you do the same. I wouldn't line Shmuley's pockets.

ARRAY(0xb657396c)