Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on February 17, 2001
As a long-time Mac user, I found this book to be extremely interesting, but the way it was written was distracting to me. Linzmayer constantly repeats himself as he tells the story of Apple's trials and tribulations, as the book is not necessarily organized chronologically. The inside facts that the author has uncovered are sometimes riveting. After reading the much-maligned Gil Amelio's self-congratulatory and sometimes whiny account of his days at Apple, it was good to get some balance from this book.
The most striking impression of this book, to me, is that Linzmayer never bypasses an opportunity to slam Steve Jobs. Jobs really comes across as a big jerk at best, and as a sneaky, dishonest backstabber at worst. Obviously, I don't know Jobs, so I can't defend or refute Lizmayer's portrayal, but the message comes through loud and clear.
on February 25, 2004
I quite literally grew up with the Macintosh computer family. I have owned at least one of every model every built in my 36 years. I've worked in service bureaus, design agencies, had my own consulting business and provide network sales support for a billion dollar corporation. I've attended over a dozen MacWorlds and have read just about every Mac publication ever written. Even with my background, I still learned a ton from this book. It is quite literally stacked with anecdotes, facts and insight on every page, almost to a fault. It's a good sit-down read and I find myself picking it up off of the coffee table a few times a week. I would definitely recommend this as a must read for any Mac aficionado.
on July 28, 1999
This was a good read and undoubtedly captures a lot of what happened at Apple. Sometimes the detail is a bit numbing like the 11 pages of Apple Product code names. A few things were missing. I was surprised to not see any mention of the attempt by Apple to buy up a lot of DRAM chips in the expectations that prices would go up. Also, I remember a computer faire in San Francisco where Wozniak predicted that the Mac would really be great (but I've tried to find someone else who remembers that and I have failed thus far. Still, this book was hard to put down.
on February 26, 2004
This book is really a very well put together work - it's interesting, the facts are obviously well-researched, and it's really very interesting to read - even my non-tech friends were picking the book up to see what was inside, and actually enjoyed it to my surprise! Whilst this book won't take forever to read (I finished it in a day, but then I'm a quick reader) it is a great buy, especially for those interested in Apple/Macintosh/Newtown etc.
Plus Owen is a really nice guy - he even signed my book for me :).
on May 17, 2004
Linzmayer did a great job. I could not put it down -- like eating popcorn.
The book is well researched, and includes all the dirt and glory regarding Apple and Jobs. I really appreciate how the book documents and provides a context for all of Apple's media/news events. The book's non-linear chapter structure --- chapters are based on subject -- plus its sidebar quotes work really well. If your a Mac fanatic or a computer industry "nerd," you must read it.
on January 25, 2003
Apple Confidential: The Real Story of Apple Computer, Inc. is heavily illustrated with pictures, charts, and diagrams, and I read it only to supplement another book, "Accidental Millionaire: The Rise and Fall of Steve Jobs at Apple Computer." Alone, it doesn't provide much information, but coupled with another Apple-related tomb, Apple Confidential clarifies and expands upon many of Apple's nuances.
on February 25, 2004
This is the first Apple Confidential I read, and it was really interesting. Linzmayer's writing style is very good, and sometimes you will visualize the events you're reading about.
If you are an Apple fanatic you owe yourself this book. If you're just curious about Apple maybe this book will give you too much info. In that case feel free to bypass the timelines, but read the rest :)
A good book.
on January 12, 2002
I read the Mac Bathroom reader before this and there was a lot of overlap. In some parts even whole chapters (of course they are both by Linzmayer). In my opinion get one or the other, Bathroom reader if you want a small book that covers almost all of what Apple Confidential does. But if you're a serious machead like me :-) then I'd go with this one because it covers more.
on April 11, 1999
I like this book. Considering Linzayer was not there, he does an admirable job of finding and telling the story. But he does get at least a few things wrong. To avoid disclosing the plot here, I have posted some corrections to the "Fallen Apple" chapter [online].
on April 16, 1999
Ever felt like you've read something before? If you already have The Mac Bathroom Reader, save your money, it's the same book with a new cover.