4.0 out of 5 stars CSS3 rules explained

Published 21 months ago by Sang Minh Lam

4.0 out of 5 stars CSS3 rules explained, July 26 2011
mko "mko" (Poland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Book of CSS3: A Developer's Guide to the Future of Web Design (Paperback)
Peter is perfectly right with his introduction to the book ' 'Let me tell you a little about who I think you are: You're a web professional who's been hand-coding HTML and CSS (')'. This sentence, probably, describes most of the home grown HTML developers around the world. If you are working with CSS and you want to know what to expect when it comes to CSS3 this book sound to be quite useful. Peter goes over the features of CSS3 while at the same time presenting them in a structured way. He discuses particular rule, shows examples of the usage, and, at the end of each chapter, summarizes their support within most commonly used web engines: WebKit, Firefox, Opera, and IE. You will find this list again within appendix ' this way you can easily check whether particular feature is missing or not within given Web browser.

When it comes to the content, it turned out that I am really a casual user of CSS. There are many rules that I was not aware of. This way, I was able to learn new stuff. On the other hand, I think that material is quite demanding for the reader. As Peter states at the beginning of the book: 'The Book of CSS3 helps you leverage the excellent knowledge you have of CSS2.1 in order to make learning CSS3 easier. I won't explain the fundamentals of CSS'. This is true indeed. You have to have the knowledge of basics in order to benefit from the book. I suggest getting some other position that will teach you CSS from the scratch before targeting this one. What I can definitely say about the book is it's style. It suits me. Peter simply focuses on the matter itself. However, keep it mind that book is not for a beginners.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy other better css books, Nov. 12 2012
Sang Minh Lam (SCARBOROUGH, ONTARIO Canada) - See all my reviews
Hi All:

I am truly disappoint with the book. The book has a website but there is no link to download the code for the book. In addition, I send an email to the author to ask him if he could send me the code but no reply. I am trying to learn css and I brought several books from amazon and they all hav web sites to download the code for the book. I am really shock of the good reviews for this book because after I received the book from www.amazon.com I find it unreadable. The book doesnot show full examples but show pieces of code which is useless if you want to try out the full example in a browser. I recommend people buy other books such as "Visual Quickstart Guide Css3" or "Css Mastery Advanced Web Standards Solutions.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book of CSS3, Sept. 12 2011
Tami Brady "Tami Brady: Transition-Empowermen... (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
CSS has such potential. Even in its infancy, it's absolutely revolutionized the way that we create websites allowing us to create templates across our entire website saving a lot of time, effort, and space. No more hardcoding every little detail (repeatedly) into the html or treating each page of a website almost like a site in and of itself. Using CSS, websites can now be designed how we want rather than just coded to be functional.

CSS3 provides even more exciting possibilities. Using these new expressions, we can make websites that look less boxy, smooth out the headings, create more usable images, and find better ways to deal with different browsers and media. Of course, as with CSS in general, standardization is a problem. Different browsers interpret CSS differently, sometimes extremely so. Now, added into the mix, there's the complication of different media such as phones and tablets accessing our websites.

The Book of CSS3 provides a nice overview of the features of CSS3. While not all browsers can cope with these new expressions, there are a few tricks that we can use right now. Throughout the various chapters and also in the appendix, there are handy charts showing which browsers support these applications.

The Book of CSS3: A Developer's Guide to the Future of Web Design