5.0 out of 5 stars No other way to train
Published on Jan. 16 2004 by Yoko

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremist point of view!!! NOT a fast training method!
This book allows for absolutely NO kind of correction in dog training..It teaches that the slightest correction is abuse!! It is very extremist.(Not that that is bad. Its good in the fact that it makes you aware that HURTFUL violence should NOT be a part of any dogs life.)
Published on Feb. 26 2002 by Lisa Cole

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Extremist point of view!!! NOT a fast training method!, Feb. 26 2002
Lisa Cole (SC United States) - See all my reviews
The methods taught in here would most likely benefit either a dog who has been sorely abused (and therefore cant take any correction) or a person who is extremely sensitive and wants to try a radical new approach in dog training. (Techniques in here take way longer than the normal "leash correction" training.. Do not get this book if you are looking for a way to get your dog trained in a few months!!!)
This book did provide good reading, and it does make good points in the fact that you should spend wonderful, decent, quality, loving time with your dog and prove to him you're there to protect him--BUT it goes in the opposite direction of the basic dog instinct. Anyone who has studied dogs of the wild, has learned of the "Alpha" dog--the one in the pact who "is in charge," giving security to the others in knowing there is someone there to lead them. This book contradicts that and says its NOT true--going against everything people have learned about typical dog pact roles!!! It states that there is no such thing as a "dominant dog" (except in emergency situations) and that in the household, you and your dog are "existing together as family", and you should never try to show dominance over it--undermining any power you have to show your dog that you are a capable leader for him to follow..setting the stage for your dog to start thinking that HE runs the show (and we know how aweful that can be!)!! Now, anyone with a dog knows that dominance and submissiveness ARE a part of a dogs pact life..and the human family is looked upon by the dog as part of his pact--someone HAS to be the dominant one.. and you dont be it, your dog will!!
This book is on lines with giving your dog rewards, rewards, rewards.. and praising him for every little thing. WHICH IS GOOD.. however, if a dog needs correcting for something, the book goes against it! You are not allowed to correct your dog for anything-- not even a tiny leash tug when your dog wanders the other way!!!! I highly disagree with the fact that you can't correct your dog. Dogs can and should be corrected..not abused, mind you.. but corrected. GOOD Correction, when done the right way, and not abusively (such as the terrible teaching of rubbing your dog's nose in excrement) is very helpful. I firmly believe lots of love, praise, and affection should be giving to your dogs (I baby my 2 adorable collies!!) and have never hurt them or hit them or any other drastic thing--but I would have never gotten them trained if I would have followed the techniques in this book and never corrected them! (Have you ever seen a dog jump in a rose bush twice? NO ..immediate correction has its place in a dogs life!!)
The good things about this book is the wonderful blanket teaching of being kind to your animal and respecting it, the wonderful chapter on nutrition that it includes (even recipes!!!), and the deep breathing/get in tune with your dog exercises!! For that I gave it 3 stars.. otherwise I would have given it 2

5.0 out of 5 stars No other way to train, Jan. 16 2004
Yoko (Dogtown, USA) - See all my reviews
As far as I am concerned, there is no other way to raise and train a dog. Hopefully you don't own a shock, choke, pinch or prong collar, but if you do, throw it away and order this book! This gentle, effective training method concerns the whole dog, not just a behaviour issue! I've trained all my dogs this way and I own two obedience (yes obd trials without aversive training!)and agility champions!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dog Whisperer, Oct. 15 2001
Madeleine (Glendale, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book offers the best training method imaginable. Our seven year old bulldog, thought to have been "untrainable," amazingly began to respond with hand signals and literally whispers after only a few days. I never thought it would have been possible. Contained within its pages is more than a practical training method: it's a philosophy of living which is truly transformational. No more jerking or scolding, no more frustration or anger in our home! Paul Owens' method teaches us about who we and our pets are and that our relationship with our four-legged friends and with ourselves will thrive with the use of non-violence. We are happier than ever before. It is truly a gift from a generous and dedicated teacher devoting his life to improving the lives of dogs and the people who share their lives with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'd pay much to see Letterman or Lenno interview the author!, Jan. 26 2002
J. Tate (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
Wow. The sample pages didn't let me know what to expect. Less than 1/2 of this book is devoted to dog training. The rest is like this excerpt, which you won't see in the online sample pages:
(p. 22) "There is a perfect moment for carrots to be pulled from the ground and eaten -- the perfect moment of optimum health-giving properties. But what if you can't pick and eat a carrot at the perfect time? According to Eastern thought, humans are unique in that they can actually infuse this positive life energy into food. It's a matter of thinking good, healthy thoughts and willing those healthy thoughts into the food you are preparing.... Whenever you prepare food for yourself or your dog, imagine infusing the food with "life energy.""
Here's another sample:
(p. 58) "Twenty-five years ago I decided to explore alternative therapies to get a grip on my health problems. as a child I missed 25 percent of my grade school classes because of asthma. I had a severe allergy to nuts and thirty-seven other allergies ranging from grass to pollen to dust. I was a mess. The fact that I began smoking cigarettes as a teenager while using an inhaler for my asthma also, of course, spoke of a certain lack of common sense. It must have been the lack of oxygen."
Humane dog training is not a new concept, and there are many informative books on the subject. This book is not one of them. Eastern religions, alternative therapies and ESP aren't new concepts either, and there are many informative books on those subjects. This book is not one of them.
Dave, Jay -- call Paul Owens for a goofy and entertaining interview!

5.0 out of 5 stars Humane, compassionate, effective!, Jan. 21 2003
"The Dog Whisperer" conveys with clarity and compassion how to train your dog using truly positive methods. Anyone who follows the step by step instructions should not only be able to get great training results, but will benefit from the holistic, relationship-improving aspect of the suggestions throughout. There will always be those who feel dogs must be punished in order to be well behaved. I disagree, and suggest you give the exercises described in this book a chance. They will definitely help to dispel those old myths. As a professional trainer, I am grateful to Paul Owens for this excellent resource. It is on the must-read list I hand out to my clients.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Dog Whisperer by Paul Owens, May 7 2001
Steven E. Morris (Clinton, Oklahoma USA) - See all my reviews
If you would like to read about relaxation exercises, do breathing exercises, hear about holistic medicines, learn to make your own dog food, read of the authors childhood illnesses and how he beat his cigarette addiction, plus dealing with your dogs stress levels, this is the book for you. If you simply want to learn how to train your dog, skip this one. I read to page 139 before the lessons even began and then it really bogged down. It is a catchy title but a lame book. Save your money, I wish I had.

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth Wading Through, but don't expect much, Oct. 16 2001
I am thrilled that someone wrote a book encouraging us to think of our dogs in terms of friend and companion rather than demanding absolute submission. Although my biggest issue was that I felt that too much emphasis was placed on deep breathing exercises (a whole chapter + on that!) .
While the author encourages responsibility in the methods of training, he seems to allow the dog owner to be less resposible than they should in terms of results. He recommends you ignore bad behavior when possible. We all know that doesn't really work. You can't have a bad dog in the average city-- they'll get put to sleep, they'll get hurt, you'll get in trouble with your neighbors, the dog just continues on happily in the behavior. I just felt that there wasn't much emphasis put on really being able to save your dog's life with a command and being ablet o make them welcomed members of society. I wouldn't be asking for good behaviors if the bad ones would be okay to ignore!
I believe there is something good to be said for many of his training philosophies, especially the concept of 10,000 rewards. That's a wonderfully useful tool. I upped my antie a bit and got a way better response from my dog.
I disagree with the use of gentle leaders most of the time. They can cause neck problems and some dogs hate them so much it's constant mental anguish for them and like being reprimanded the whole time. Please do some research on gentle leaders before buying one for your dog.
Overall, this a fine enough book if you don't use it as the only source of information and don't feel too guilty if you need to use another method for some things that your dog is having problems with. While the author is way off into the holistic approach for my tastes, I got several good tidbits from his ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Background needed..., July 6 2002
A. Neder from California said that the book recommends ignoring bad behavior. There's more to it than that. A little background in operant conditioning, like the book Don't Shoot The Dog by Karen Pryor can help. It's not that you allow bad behavior and allow it to continue. You instead learn how not to reinforce bad behavior. Sometimes you can do this by ignoring it. Sometimes other steps must be taken.

5.0 out of 5 stars A library must have, May 22 2004
Lynn Sparling (PA) - See all my reviews
I love this book- and call it a mandatory for those
who really want a well-behaved dog... stress free.
Buy it today!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best dog training book EVER!, Nov. 13 2003
By A Customer
Regardless of what others might say, it IS possible to train your dog well AND be completely compassionate. I absolutely love this book. My dog and I are very happy I read it - it is a priceless resource!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›