4.0 out of 5 stars Good but wanted more, Feb. 8 2011
Steven R. McEvoy "MCWPP" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Zombies Calling! (Paperback)
After reading The War At Ellsmere, by Faith Erin Hicks, I was eagerly anticipating diving into this graphic novel. But, it was not quite what I was expecting. I am not sure what I wanted, but I feel I did not get it with this book. It was well written, and the illustrations are amazing. The joke of comparing university life to being a zombie and stuck in a zombie film was charming at first but wore thin. I really liked the three main characters and hope Faith returns to them in a future volume, for I would definitely pick it up. I loved the info at the back of the book about the development of the story and the characters. I will read it again, but it is not one of my favorite graphic novels.

Books By Faith Erin Hicks:

Demonology
Random Comics

5.0 out of 5 stars The Author's First Book & My Favourite, April 3 2012
Nicola Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Zombies Calling! (Paperback)
Reason for Reading: I was writing my review for Hicks' latest book "Friends With Boys" when I realized I only had one more book by the author left to read, her first one. So I put in a library request right away.

As I've said before Hicks has a certain style for people. One of the main female characters looks just like the main character in "War at Ellesmere" and "Friends with Boys". The male figure looks just like one of her brothers in "Friends with Boys". Of course this gives her work a distinctive style, but also can get repetitive book after book.

I loved Zombies Calling. It is a take-off on the zombie movie and a while slightly a horror story, much more a light-hearted humorous send-off. Nobody gets killed, unless you count the zombies. And Hicks takes a moment to make us *really* think about those zombies in a way we usually don't. But most of all this is just some silly fun that will be most appreciated by zombie movie fans who get why the zombie is so fun. The three university student main characters are all stereotypical players: the girl who knows everything about zombies, the skeptic and the prerequisite boy who's just a friend; but Hicks manages to flesh them out in this short book and make them an interesting group to get to know. For Hicks's first book, I really enjoyed it. Maybe the best of them all!

Zombies Calling!
Zombies Calling! by Faith Erin Hicks (Paperback - Nov. 27 2007)
CDN$ 11.50 CDN$ 10.35
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available