5.0 out of 5 stars M. Shewfelt, Psychotherapist, Social Worker, Nov. 29 2009
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
I am sincerely thankful that I read this book! It propelled me into greater awareness of the therapeutic process, and helped me access a deeper more integrated sense of myself.

Wallin provides a powerful compound lens, integrating attachment theory, research on the impact of early relationships on the brain, relational psychotherapy and mindfulness. We're encouraged to apply our curiosity to the rich, complex, present moment between our self and our client, while holding in our awareness, each of our relational pasts. Wallin offers interventions, including and beyond empathy, to help us access more of our client's unconscious experience, through astute and conscientious awareness of the intersection of our own experience with our client's.

Much appreciated are Wallin's detailed case descriptions that paint the human picture of the therapist as an empathic, imperfect, accountable and secure base. This book conveys wonderful hopefulness for the profound healing power of the therapeutic relationship, and I could not recommend it more highly!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great educational read and very helpful in therapeutic assessments, July 10 2009
B. Brownell "Therapist/coach" (Haliburton County) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
This book is extremely well written for the clinician. Has really helped me help clients who present with attachment issues and helps me to better assess clients' presenting issues within the context of attachment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Relevant and Refreshing Read, Feb. 26 2014
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
If this is required reading in your counselling training, be encouraged. Wallin's work is a relevant and refreshing read on Attachment Theory and how it can be creatively integrated in therapeutic practice. I appreciate his exhortation to integrate the left and right brain experience in therapy work, thereby helping clients to name their feelings and put them into words. This is especially important in working with those who have experienced severe trauma and loss.

Louise (Bromley) Jewell, MAR, Registered Clinical Counsellor
Victoria, BC, Canada

4.0 out of 5 stars Attachment in Psychotherapy, Nov. 12 2011
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
Although Wallin's writing style is overly academic, he makes up for it in two ways: 1. by giving a comprehensive history of the development of attachment theory; and, 2. by giving many examples from his own therapeutic work on how to incorporate mindfulness into the practice of helping clients heal from past attachment wounds. He gives a thorough description of each attachment style, and explains in detail how the work of attachment works itself out in the process of therapy. He gives special attention to the importance of the therapeutic alliance, which makes sense in the light of the subject matter. All in all, a book worth reading if you are a student therapist!

5.0 out of 5 stars The depth of exploration of attachment in human developmen and in psychotherapy is amazing.., Dec 1 2014
This review is from: Attachment in Psychotherapy (Hardcover)
I am a student in psychotherapy and counselling and I find this book a reading gem that every psychotherapist must have on their shelves! The depth of exploration of attachment in human developmen and in psychotherapy is amazing...I personally love this book!

Iveta M.

Attachment in Psychotherapy
Attachment in Psychotherapy by David J. Wallin PhD (Hardcover - March 6 2007)
CDN$ 60.50 CDN$ 51.05