4.0 out of 5 stars Fast good fun, April 19 2010
This review is from: The Silent Sea (Hardcover)
I really enjoy the Oregon Files series created by Clive Cussler and now co-written with Jack DuBrul. Unlike other joint ventures, this book feels like Cussler did more than wave a bottle of Tequila over a scribbled plot idea. It's a good read that is a real fast mover with interesting twists and a more believable story than in some other novels. It brought to memory Jack Higgin's Exocet that also included members of the Argentine military and a not completely dissimilar story of land seizure by a totalitarian regime. Cussler's mistrust of the Chinese government reappears, although this book's characterizations are less stereotypical. I liked it and if you like fast moving action uncluttered by a bunch of soft "feelings" you will too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Plot That Keeps Surprising, April 8 2010
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Silent Sea (Hardcover)
"If we say, 'We will enter the city,' the famine is in the city, and we shall die there. And if we sit here, we die also. Now therefore, come, let us surrender to the army of the Syrians. If they keep us alive, we shall live; and if they kill us, we shall only die." And they rose at twilight to go to the camp of the Syrians; and when they had come to the outskirts of the Syrian camp, to their surprise no one was there. For the Lord had caused the army of the Syrians to hear the noise of chariots and the noise of horses--the noise of a great army; so they said to one another, "Look, the king of Israel has hired against us the kings of the Hittites and the kings of the Egyptians to attack us!" -- 2 Kings 7:4-6 (NKJV)

I've been a fan of the Oregon Files series from the beginning as well as the earlier Dirk Pitt books that Clive Cussler wrote. In the formula for these books, you start with a historical mystery or two and go on from there to meet some present-day evil-doers . . . with the various story elements totally related. Usually, you can figure out in a few seconds what the connections are among the story elements. That's not the case in The Silent Sea, which made the plot much more appealing to me.

I would rate the book more highly, but I found the action sequences to be less effective than the plot. There was a predictability about most of them that made the book seem a little flat in places, just when it was intended to be most exciting. The advanced technology of the Oregon is also more than a little over the top at times.

I did like it that the evil-doers and their motives didn't seem nearly as far-fetched as they are in some of the Cussler books.

It's all good fun, one of the best books in the Oregon Files series. Don't miss it!

As the book opens, a group of brothers are poised to probe a treasure pit rumored to contain pirate booty. Because of scientific reasons, they take the plunge on December 7, 1941 . . . with ramifications that shake their world. You'll also visit some other locales that probably aren't totally familiar to you. What could the link be?

4.0 out of 5 stars great action stuff, March 17 2014
This review is from: The Silent Sea (Hardcover)
Cussler is a master story teller and always has the most impossible problems to solve. Keeps the mind active and is fun to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars another great Juan epic, March 6 2014
Never disappoints me. The read is easy and interesting. CC is a favourite of mine for sure. Onto the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, Nov. 14 2013
Vicki Rigsby "Toby" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
If you like Clive Cussler you will like this book. Full of excitement and twist and turns. A great read

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved it, Aug. 2 2013
I love the way the plot twists and turns. I could not put the book down. I would recommend all of Clive Cusslers books for people to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from Mr. Cussler!, Dec 30 2012
Just Joan - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Every time a new Cussler book comes out, I have to have it! I very much enjoy how he interjects humour into the action and mystery of his novels.

The Silent Sea
The Silent Sea by Jack Du Brul (Paperback - Feb. 22 2011)
CDN$ 16.99 CDN$ 12.26