5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ending to a unique series
Published on Jan. 9 2012 by ldnsara

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces but still worth a read...
Published on July 25 2011 by Toewser

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing pieces but still worth a read..., July 25 2011
It was a modest finish for the Hunger Games saga. Since the novel is written in the first person, any action that occurs while Katniss is unconscious or missing from the event is not fully told. This results in a disjointed novel with large portions of the plot experienced in waiting as Katniss experiences them. On one hand, it is true to the series as a whole. It worked well for the previous two novels because Katniss was a main participant in all that occurred. However, in this book, one cannot help but feel cheated out of important events that would have resulted in a well rounded story.

Nevertheless, as a fan of the Hunger Games saga, this book is well worth the money and time. The reader just needs an avid imagination to fill in the rest of the blanks.

2.0 out of 5 stars Left Me Feeling Let Down, Sept. 16 2011
*** SPOILER ALERT***

I found the book to be too much like Hamlet. The author spent so much time introducing and building characters, only to kill them all off in the end. I don't mind if a character or two is killed, but 90% of the the people were wiped out. On that note, I don't like how she killed Prim. I thought it to be too drastic and as it was too close to the end of the book, there wasn't enough time to wrap your head around it. It happened, Kaniss went crazy, and the book ended; it just didn't seem to fit into the plot properly.

The first 2 books of the series were absolutely amazing! Perhaps this is why I expected so much more out of the third book and perhaps, with those expectations, that is why I was so let down. She spent so much time developing these amazing characters in The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, but then tore them apart in Mockingjay. Katniss was this strong, brave, intelligent fighter who turned into an emotional wreck. I understand that I'd probably be the same way if I were in her shoes, however, I'm not and that's not the character we grew to know and love in the first 2 books. To watch her fall apart in the 3rd was unpleasant and I found myself reading too quickly over the pages in order to get to the end faster in hopes of finding the original Katniss. As for Peeta, I really do wish that he had somehow completely overcome what Snow had done to him. To know that he doesn't and spends his life fighting it and wanting to strangle his wife, just didn't sit too well with me. And as for Gale....

I wasn't a Gale fan to begin with, but I'm also biased when there's two men fighting for the same girl. I pick my guy from the start and nothing will change my mind! I loved Peeta from the start but I loved Gale as well; I just didn't love him for Katniss, so you can imagine how upset I was with the way their relationship ended. They had an unbreakable friendship! He was in love with her, she was possibly in love with him. But in order for the author to make it work between Peeta and Katniss without the audience getting upset that it wasn't Gale, she turned him into a bad guy and dismissed him without any notice. He was the one who killed her sister, something completely unforgivable....

But before I go on, I would also like to give Katniss a good beating! No, he did not kill Prim on purpose. If it had been anyone else, it would have been fine! You went into this rebellion knowing that people would die! You went in knowing that Gale was helping design weapons and, although you weren't happy with it, you didn't stop him. I know you're not happy with the people you've killed, but you're now abandoning your best friend over an accidental kill? In the words of Katniss with the ending of her friendship, "No, instead I feel nothing but relief". This was what made me decide that the book was a let down. You just lost your sister, your home, your friends, and now you're WILLINGLY losing your BEST FRIEND!?!?!

...I would rather have seen Gale fall in love with someone else, or have him (I know it's hypocritical) die. At least then there would have been some form of closure.

There were many other small details that didn't sit too well with me, but I found this to be the most jarring. I know this book was written with political views on war and propaganda but I was hoping for a little more of a plot and a little more closure.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rushed, and an ending that didn't feel like it fit the series., March 30 2012
I enjoy the first two books. I felt the third was rushed. It definitely took me longer to read, as it had less of my interest and attention. I didn't feel satisfied at the end. I felt upset and like I got hooked for a disappointment. The third book didn't seem to fit with the others, and I wonder if Suzanne rushed this last one. I was disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect ending to a unique series, Jan. 9 2012
I see many people complain that the ending was unsatisfying, but I personally loved it. For an original and epic story such as this one, the ending was just right. It was sad, of course, as most war stories are. But there was also a large element of hope, as the characters we've grown to love throughout the series find a way to live with the immense sorrow and ordeals they have suffered, and build a new life, with love and wisdom. This is only described briefly in the last few pages of the book, but it is enough.

In my opinion, had the ending been different (read: more optimistic and all-appealing), the series would not have had as much power, and as big an effect on the reader. These were very emotional and intense stories, so it only makes sense that the ending is as realistic as possible, without the absence of love and hope.

3.0 out of 5 stars too much doom and gloom, Sept. 25 2010
A. Jacques (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I'm a big fan of the first 2 books of the hunger games and was very anxious to read the last book but it was so depressing all the way through. It's one negative thing after another. It's just too much sadness. Well, even after having read the other not so good reviews I wasn't expecting much and wasn't deterred because you pretty well have to finish a trilogy but I was disappointed. My heart still aches for a better third book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. Just didn't like it., Aug. 30 2010
L.Clair (New York, USA) - See all my reviews
Because I've been waiting months for this book, I'd promised myself I'd read it slowly and savour it, becuase after I'm finished there's no more. As it turns out, I read all of Mockingjay the day I received it in the mail. As expected, it was excellent. As dreaded, I didn't like it.

Suzanne seems to be one of those writers whose books get better and better with each installment. I thought Catching Fire was better than The Hunger Games, and Mockingjay is written even better than Catching Fire. After the end...you just have an unquenchable hunger for MORE that will never be satisfied, but that's okay, because it's the mark of a good series.

Despite all that, the problem with Mockingjay, (for me at least) is that it wasn't any fun to read at all.

Sure, it's intense, suspenseful, poignant, and it cuts to the action faster, but I missed Peeta; Katniss's usual spirited and brave demeanor was replaced by a "Who cares?" attitude, and while it might be completely justified, it wasn't any fun on the reader's part; the whole book hangs a downcast, depressing and overly serious tone; I hated the anticlimax.
In lieu of spoilers, I will not mention names, but a certain important character was somewhat randomly dropped off at the end. We weren't given any closure about his relationships with his fellow characters. May or may not leave you feeling cheated.

Another reviewer, on amazon.com I believe, called this book a work of "nihilistic anti-war propaganda;" in other words, Collins is biased into thinking that war is the most disgusting, horrible, and awful thing that ever existed. And while she's entitled to her opinions, especially when they are well-supported, it's untactful to try and force her readers into seeing things her way, instead of giving them the facts and allowing them to form their own opinions.
This seems to be the reason for much of the unnecessary tragic events that happen in this book, and why it's so depressing: the author is putting out propaganda to 'help' us see how very very bad war is, instead of giving us a balanced view of the reasons people go to war, and why it may or may not be the best way to solve a conflict.

Now, the end. We never expected a completely happy ending for a series like this one. We would have enjoyed a bittersweet ending thoroughly. But I think the downer ending was just overdoing it. Did the author purposely twist the ending to a level of heartwrenching sadness? Probably. Was it necessary? Hmmm.

So, the writing was intelligent and unique to its author. The plot was (excepting the anticlimax) tense, winding, and fast-paced, the action neverending. The characters, especially Katniss herself, were depthened even further. Despite that, I didn't like it, I'm sorry.

5.0 out of 5 stars yes it was a painful read, to see the characters you love get ..., Oct. 3 2014
I'm really surprised by all the people in the comments complaining about the way this last book went. I'm not sure what kind of ending they really expected since Katnis has been thrown from one tragedy to another until she is broken. This is war, this is trauma. And i for one really appreciated that honest tone to the book. Yes it was dark, yes it was a painful read, to see the characters you love get smashed to bits inside and out till they have trouble even constructing a sense of identity. The reader must remember this is not a TV show, its not here to -entertain- you. The story is simply that, a story, one of love, and loss, and growth and it's not up to us to really judge what Katnis is. She may be a fictional character, but shes a metaphor for many real life experiences and I think that is beyond any whimsical expectation of entertainment.

Now that I'm done chastising the readers I will comment on the book itself:
I found it riveting, realistic, very sad, and above all, honest.I have PTSD and was shocked to find a book that touched on it's realistic consequences in ones life, and appreciated Katnises pain, in a way that others may not. I felt like her journey is an important one to understand in real life. The ability to piece yourself back together when what you love is lost, and what you wanted becomes more than what you wished for, and not in a good way.

I will speak to some of the other complains in the book. The end did seem rushed, and not much closure to the loss of important characters was given. I dont know if this is just bc its a story about Katnis specifically, or if this is a real flaw in the book. But i will say I did crave a little more in that.

The twists at the end are wonderful and terrifying and live up to the first 2 books

3.0 out of 5 stars More Bookish Thoughts..., Sept. 27 2012
Reader Writer Runner (Victoria, BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games (Paperback)
On one hand, you could probably read the first 75 pages of "Mockingjay," skip to the final 75 and not feel like you've missed a whole lot in between. On the other hand, Collins' final instalment in "The Hunger Games" trilogy takes readers on such an intense journey that the ending feels satisfying after slogging through the middle.

Collins fills her pages with heavy violence, cruelty, death and sadness but also maintains a sense of honesty. Katniss, Peeta, Gale and even Coin come across as believable characters in the unbelievable hell that Panem becomes. The author embraces the brutality and horror of a post-apocalyptic world and displays the result of a human race at its breaking point

Battered, broken and challenged at every turn, the series' heroine, Katniss, never gives up. But the story's end doesn't come without scars and heartbreak; victory always has consequences. Readers will likely keep "The Hunger Games" in their thoughts long after turning the final page, especially since, at times, Panem doesn't seem all that imaginary.

4.0 out of 5 stars It was a realistic ending, to an awesome trilogy, Sept. 18 2012
** Spoiler**
So, I just finished this book and I have to say it was beyond what I expected. I mean sure there were pages, chapters in which I was skimming because it wasn't all that entertaining. But I liked it because for me, I found it realistic. I found it not some fairy tale happy ending where everyone lives and the end. Katniss is completely screwed up because of the Capitol and she will never be the same. Same goes for Peeta, if not more messed than Katniss. Gale, even though I rooted for him and Katniss, but you can tell which way their relationship will go, because its more realistic. This book isn't meant to have a happy twilight ending.

Despite the fillers and such, the ending chapters when everything is coming to end. I did not want to put the book down. When Suzanne gets into a scene, boy does she get you going with the action, drama, excitement and she gets your blood boiling wanting more and more.

Overall, I was pleased with the way this ended. Because once again, its gives you a realistic twisted ending. If anyone of you were reading this book expecting a Disney ending, we'll that sucks for you guys. Of course Katniss would end up a little crazy after the hell she's been though. Of course Peeta would never be the same. Of Gale and Katniss would never be together because she blames and anyone whose not blind can see see loves Peeta. These characters have been through hell and back, ten times over and I absolutely loved how Suzanne pulled everything together.
Its worth it to purchase the series. Just prepare yourself for the unexpected.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sad it's over..., July 25 2012
J Reader (CANADA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Mockingjay ties up most of the loose ends well. I was not left wondering what happened to any of the characters. That said I would have loved another hundred pages of detail thrown in. Some peoples story lines were ended quite abruptly.

This third book was very satisfing. I wasn't disappointed as can often be the case with trilogies. Mockingjay focuses mostly on the war and there is very little further character development. Katness' internal torment is the focus of much of the story. The full toll of her experience coupled with her age takes effect on her psychologically. I love how Collins hasn't glossed over the fact that this girl was ripped from her home and forced to kill other children and made a pawn by two sides in a war. Part of what makes this series so compelling is that the lead characters do feel pain and suffering. It humanizes them and helps the reader to relate.

I found myself sad that this series is now complete. This has been a great reading experience and I cannot recommend it strongly enough. I enjoyed getting to know all of the characters and it's always sad to say goodbye.

Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games
Mockingjay: The Final Book of the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Paperback - March 26 2012)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 12.79