countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Paperback|Change

So I came to read the Hunger Games from watching the films - knowing nothing about the story - and I was completely drawn in by the films. So after seeing the films I decided to read the books. I was really impressed. Even though I knew the plot from the films, I was surprised how riveting and suspenseful the books were. I know these books geared to young adults, but as an "old" adult, I thoroughly enjoyed them. Suzanne Collins is an impressive writer and really created a unique, memorable story and character in Katniss Everdeen.
on July 15, 2016
The set came in great condition and I'm still able to keep the books in their original box even today. The first novel is enjoyable, the second not so much, and the third is good except for the epilogue. It's a nice series with good characters and definitely worth checking out if you still haven't wondered what the hype about this YA series is all about.
on July 18, 2016
Great pace, you really get immersed in the story.

The first two books are better than the last one, as in the last one, there’s too much emphasis on Katniss' mental disturbance.

However, great series! I recommend it to everybody.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 15, 2015
Purchased this for my son as a Christmas present overall the book was good however, we were sent the large print novel although I had ordered the book in regular print. The novel is well written but wasn't as good as the 2 previous books and the storyline seems a little bit more rushed compared to The Hunger Games and The Hunger Games Catching Fire.
on January 4, 2016
After watching the third movie, I couldn't wait to see how the story ends so finally dove into the trilogy. I loved the stories, of course, but I can see why the third novel was split into two books--the writing style became much more distant in that book as it seemed the author was trying to fit so much into one volume. It was also interesting to see how a novel written in first person present tense about events that impacted an entire society was translated to the screen.
on December 2, 2010
The box set includes 3 Hunger Games books - which is the complete set. This would be an amazing gift for any teenage girl or guy and even an adult who likes science fiction. These books have it all - action, drama, adventure, sci-fi, love, loyalty, friendship. All 3 books had me on the edge of my seat, flipping and reading the pages as fast as i can.

The books are about a teenage girl, Katniss, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country Panem which is controlled by one government and one president. Her world is very different from ours as Panem consists of 12 districts and they're basically like little towns or little cities. All 12 are controlled by district 1 which has the most food, money, power and comfort. District 12 is the worst - the people there live in extreme poverty, have no money or help from anyone and life is hard. To keep everyone in their "rightful" place, district 1 hosts Hunger Games every year which is a game that is broadcasted on television in every district. Hunger Games work like this - 1 boy and 1 girl is chosen at a random draw from each district to participate, they're then transported to district 1, the capitol, to play the game. The game is hosted in a man-made environment, like a little forest for example, and there are a lot of traps everywhere. The goal for the participants is to kill each other, and the last one standing is crowned the winner. The winner gets food and gets to live in a better house. The point of the Hunger Games is for the capitol to demonstrate that even children are not above the law. District 12 almost never wins since the children there are hungry and weak, and mostly District 1 and 2 win the games since the kids there have plenty of food and healthcare.

The only difference is that the rich districts (1,2,3) children just want to win for pleasure but the poor districts (12, 11, 10) they fight for food.

Katniss, is not chosen for this year's Hunger Games, instead her only sister is, who is very young. Katniss volunteers to take her place in the games, and that's how the story begins.

The idea is horrifying, I have chills just writing about it and thinking back to reading the books. I already gave this set to a friend of mine and she finished the 1st book and absolutely loved it. This is a great gift or just buy it for yourself. I am planning to go back and re-read the trilogy in some time, it's just amazing. The story is very well written, you can easily picture the sounds and the smells - the characters are written out very well with great detail. The action and drama scenes are so intense that you will hold your breath and shed a tear - it feels like you're right there in the middle of all of this. Get the set, read it, you won't regret it!
on November 3, 2010
I read all three books in under two weeks while at home with strep-throat.

I was very quickly intrigued by the main character, and liked her immediately.

From there, I just could not read the books fast enough, I needed to know what happened next.

I love that the female protagonist is essentially the age of a high-school senior, but is brilliant, strong-willed and lethal. She's no passive debutante. Any person who has had to struggle in their life, especially as a child or young adult, can appreciate the way that forms you as a person. How it can make you a little hard.

Apparently these books are classified as "young adult" but I got a real kick out of them, and I'm not a young adult. I'm merely "adult." I mean, the stories are quite violent. More so than many adult science fiction novels I've read.

Unapologetic. Action heavy. Great characters. An absolute riot.
on January 13, 2016
i think the bravery that katness everdeen showed while taking her sisters place as tribute was really the most amazing thing that would happen if it actually happened in real life, i think everyone should really read this book before death and i also think that young adults or even children should have read this book cause i am a young adult myself and i am surprised that i did not read this when i was 11 yrs. old it really a shame cause i would have bragged about to my friends that do not know anymore it IS a real shame but i cant do anything about it now so i can just talk about it on the internet as i am doing now so i shall say my goodbyes to you now because i am going to go off the internet very very soon! actually i changed my mind i am going to stay on the internet for a while but over all the book was probably my favorite book of all time and i hope to read the next books very, VERY soon so now i will actually leave this book to you my friends i hope you get the chance to read it because like i said it was my FAVORITE book of all time and you should really read it im sorry this review was barely about the book but i got to go live life so i bid my adews to you my friends :) :) :)
on September 25, 2008
Twenty-four children: twelve boys, twelve girls, tributes selected by random lottery every year and sent to the capitol city of Panem to compete in a brutal, bloodthirsty fight for survival, with the last participant standing declared champion.

Welcome to the Hunger Games, a grim reminder to those living in the twelve districts comprising what was once the United States of their place as virtual slaves to the gleaming Capitol at their center.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen is this year's female representative for District 12, having volunteered to take her younger sister Prim's place. Sent to the arena with the baker's son and classmate, Peeta Mellark -- a boy who, several years prior, saved Kat and her family from the ravages of starvation after her father's death in a coal mining accident -- neither competitor from the final district seem to be contenders.

But Peeta's good nature and Kat's small stature belie the former's cunning intelligence and the latter's experience as a hunter; while a revelation from Peeta during the introductory ceremonies sends Katniss into the first day of competition more than a little off-kilter.

The stage is set, the tributes have arrived, and the cameras are watching...let the games begin.

It is no exaggeration to call THE HUNGER GAMES a pulse-pounding page-turner. Collins grabbed me from the first page and didn't let go. While Katniss isn't always the most likable character (in fact, there were plenty of times I much preferred the affable Peeta, or even sweet, birdlike little Ruth), she is always compelling, thanks to her rational approach to every challenge and her dogged determination.

While THE HUNGER GAMES is a plot-driven novel, the characters and their relationships are the heart of the story. Ms. Collins has created a dystopian tale of Orwellian caliber for young adults, giving any reader plenty to churn their minds between now and the next installment of this trilogy.

My only complaint is having to wait for the next installment.

Reviewed by: Cat
on January 13, 2016
The least enjoyable of the very popular three book series. Far too much violence and military strategy and very light on character 'relationships'. Tough slog to get through... the movies were better than this book.