5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
After reading some of the reviews I was hesitant to pick this book up, but in the end I am so glad I did! Though not as good as "The Rescue" this is still an excellent book.
Published on April 16 2004 by Elizabeth Merry

2.0 out of 5 stars Typical Lori Wick...as of late
Published on March 7 2003 by soontobewriter

2.0 out of 5 stars Typical Lori Wick...as of late, March 7 2003
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
Once again, Lori Wick has provided a confusing story with many characters. Agreed, one "couple" can become tedious and a tad boring at times, but she shifts the action so many times in each chapter that I found myself turning to the front of the book to the cast of characters to confirm who they were! And I have read all of her books and am used to a big cast. The subplots were fine as subjects, but there were so many characters and so many story lines it was almost as if she couldn't come up with the main story and had to "fill" the gaps.
In my opinion, her earlier work still outshines her more recent, more "mature" books with regards to plot development and execution, character development, character description, and just plain likability of the characters. I was soooo taken with the Donovan family in "The Californians" and the Cameron's in the "Fireside" series. I wanted their stories to go on! Even The Texas Trilogy left me wanting more of the life of the characters...but these "English Garden" characters leave me shrugging with indifference.
Cassie and Tate are the main focus of the story (Cassie is the "Visitor") and they fall in love as she reads to him as he recuperates from an accident that has left him blind. Will he regain his sight? And if he does, will he still want Cassie, who doesn't see herself as beautiful as her sisters? Then there are Lizzie (Cassie's sister) and Moreland. Moreland is a friend of Lizzie's brother Edward, and she has loved him from afar. Moreland, blind to Lizzie's feelings, is certain she doesn't care for him! Once he finds out her true feelings, the gentle chase is on.
I found Lizzie and Moreland to be more fun than Cassie and Tate. And I thought Henry, who struggled with quietness (I didn't see him as shy, but rather someone who didn't like to interact with others), to be realistic as he overcame his selfishness. He finally realized that "living" his Christian life was not enough, and that by being quiet he was failing to tell others about his Lord. He asked God to change him and, althought he struggled and suffered through it, he began to turn around and become the family leader he should.
If you are a Lori Wick fan, and don't get me wrong, I am (I love the way she always presents the plan of salvation in her stories and the way her characters work on their prayer lives!), then this book will be appealing. If you are new to Mrs. Wick, read this book, but investigate her earlier publications. I promise, you won't be sorry you went on the treasure hunt.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blind Love...., Feb. 17 2003
Kay S. (Harrisonburg, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
A tale of two sisters: one who falls in love with a blind man and one whose romantic interest is blind to her love. The story begins with the first sister reading daily to the man who, on his doctor's advice, has sought a quiet retreat, hoping the rest will help regain his sight. The second sister's heart throb is in Africa with a her brother. Another brother, at home with the sisters, is blind to how his shyness affects those around him. Once aware of the consequences of his shyness, he turns to God for help. Interwoven subplots reinforce the theme of God's love.
This book is written in a style that fits the historical scenario (1812 in the English countryside), but is not as interesting to me as some others by Lori Wick. My favorites by Lori Wick include The Princess, Song for Silas, and Sophie's Heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 16 2004
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
I loved that Lori Wick decided to have both sisters involved in a romance instead of just one. I enjoyed Lizzie and Morland just as much as I did Cassie and Tate. This was another book, I just couldn't put down until I had read every word.
I felt that I could really identify with Cassie and her doubts of herself, because I also have had some of the same. I also enjoyed how Tate wasn't always perfect in his faith and that gave him a real sense of being human.
This entire series is definitely a must have addition to your collection. All of the books in the English Garden Series were excellent, especially the last three.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Visitor, March 15 2003
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
This book was okay. It was a sweet little novel. It didn't completely suck you in like her former novels, but it still was pretty good.
I actully didn't even buy this book. Every once in a while either my mom or dad took me to [a book store]. Since it didn't totally capture my attention, it was the way to go. The only problem I had was finding my spot in the book after not having read it for a while.
I agree with the reviewer above that said it had so many characters it was hard to keep them all straight. My favorite parts were when Lori Wick would write about Anne and Robert Weston. The Westons were my favorite couple.

3.0 out of 5 stars Big Snooze, April 28 2003
"spudtwin" (Malta, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
I loved the first two books in the English Garden series, but this one was really boring. I couldn't keep track of how all the friends, neighbors and family were inter-related and kept getting confused by all the different characters. Hardly anything happened in the story other than women picking flowers, getting marriage proposals or becoming pregnant. I guess that's how a typical Jane Austen-type novel reads, but I had a hard time getting through the book. I much prefer Jan Karon's Mitford series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, July 2 2003
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
If you've read and enjoyed any of Jane Austin's novels, you will delight in Lori Wick's "The Visitor." This is the third book in her "English Garden" series and although it easily stands alone, readers will be enticed to read book 1 and 2. Wick's characters and dialogue are realistic and appropriate for the 1812 period of time in England. This is my first Lori Wick novel but It made me a fan and I intend to seek out more from this accomplished author.
Beverly J Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent but not great..., June 4 2003
Vicki Williamson (Monroe, Ga United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
I did enjoy this book but it is not as good as some of the other books Mrs. Wick has written. Though I did think that the storyline was very good. I liked the idea of a blind man and a supposably "plain" looking woman. It showed that beauty is not something that is seen with the eyes. If you have enjoyed any of Mrs. Wick's previous romance novels then I believe you will enjoy this one too.

4.0 out of 5 stars liked this book, June 20 2003
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
I liked this book. I love the way she portrays the characters thinking & talking about God. On the downside it was hard to keep up with all the characters. I was confused. Also, I have a hard time relating to the characters cause they are rich and just cut flowers, visit each other and go to the backyard maze when they are depressed. But for moral character it's excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, May 4 2004
M. J Myles "Rosella Ann Myles" (Wheeling, W.V. United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book its a great story for anyone . It is also a beautiful love story how Cassandra falls in love with a man who is blind, and they give each other more faith hope and love. I'd recommend it to anyone and I think its the best in the English Garden series. Lori Wick always writes such great stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Always a happy ending for Lori Wick, March 21 2003
This review is from: Visitor (Paperback)
As usual Lori Wick gives us the happy ending we were all waiting for. There are a lot of characters and that keeps everything interesting, although at first it's hard to keep up with everyone. It's nice if you like keeping up with everyone from the past books. If you like continued stories, you'll like these books.

The Visitor
The Visitor by Lori Wick (Paperback - March 2004)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01