4.0 out of 5 stars Great prequel, humour and gore at its best, March 3 2010
Karoline (Richmond BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Paperback)
I can tell you, that I LOVED this book as much as P & P & Z. It had the wonderful moments of humor and wit that I experienced before and enjoyed. You will see the original characters except for a few (no Darcy or Bingley here, sorry. This does take place before they met Lizzy and Jane). You read more about Mr Bennet who seems to take a more active role in the story (he helps trains his daughters to become warrior women). However the book also introduces new memorable ones which will prove unforgettable and absolutely hilarious to read. What I thought was interesting was the nice reference made with the mysterious 'soldier' the left and broke Mrs Bennet's heart when she was a girl. If you're well versed in P & P then you'd know what I'm taking about. It's these little references to the main novel that make the prequel do justice to P & P & Z. Readers also be advised, this book is meant to be a parody, and a funny one at that. If you treat it with a sense of humor, enjoyment is increased tenfold.

Of the new characters, I enjoyed Dr Keckilpenny (really, with a name like that, what's not to enjoy?) the most. First, because no one seems to get his name right (except for Lizzy), and second because he just seemed to be so friendly and so likable. Lord Lumpley played your average greaseball with a secret ' I especially enjoyed how he tried his advances on Jane, but to no avail. Then you get one of the most interesting characters I have ever seen, and that is Captain Cannon who uses four of his soldiers as arms and limbs (you have just to read it to get a good laugh). The moment I started reading about his arms and limbs made me laugh, but it made the book much more enjoyable with these kinds of new, strange yet quirky characters.

The book was very well written, the plot flowed well and did not stop. The humor was in the right places at the right times so reading this book was enjoyable and fun. There is gore. Lots of it. I think moreso than P & P & Z. So, if you are not into that sort of theme. Perhaps this book may not be for you. However this would be great for zombie fans and will satisfy P & P & Z readers, it's a well done prequel and will be listed as one of my favorites for 2010.

Overall, I love this book. What I would like to see next, is another zombie novel but with Darcy and Bingley before they met the Bennet sisters. That would be interesting, I think. Who knows where the Dreadfuls will strike next?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well done!, April 8 2010
Eric J. Isaacs "Spock" (Oklahoma City, USA) - See all my reviews
I have to say that this book was excellent! I thought Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was a good one, but this surpasses the first. At least once in almost every chapter I found myself laughing out loud at what the characters have to say, or their actions or the subtleties the author implies but aren't played right out for you. The "new" characters are often hilarious and you can tell Hockensmith is having a great time telling this story and using the vernacular / writing style of the time to deliver this. I am amused right now reflecting on the crippled Captain Cannon, his "Limbs" and Mrs. Bennet. I applaud this one.

What would I have wanted to know before purchasing this product? It's hilarious, it's not overly long, it's original, and there are multiple scenes not for the squeamish.

Very well done!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Quirk Classic yet, July 30 2010
F. J. Skene (Vancouver BC) - See all my reviews
This novel benefits from being original instead of a mashup with a specific Austen novel. This frees him to create a more exciting story arc, unburdened by depictions of nonstop social occasions. The author does try for a period sound to the prose, and mostly succeeds. As well, we get to know all the Bennets in more detail, and come to like and sympathize with them while they dash about dispatching zombies. Even the youngest of the girls get into the spirit, enjoying the action. The novel is entertaining, dramatic, funny, and even sad in places. A real page-turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls, Aug. 26 2010
Purchased this book as a gift. Great qulaity and just what I asked for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Oct. 30 2010
This book was AWESOME! Or at least I thought it was awesome. I should point out that I never did read the original Pride and Prejudice, but I thought the re-working of the original was well written and thought out.

So what's the premise you ask? Well I'm glad you asked.

In this prequel to the original, we read about a zombie plague taking place in nineteenth century England. Heroes of the story include Elizabeth Bennett, her father, younger sisters and their mysterious trainer who teaches the family the ways of the ninja.

The book is sprinkled with references to life as it was in nineteenth century including things such as 'coming out balls' and the social pressures that everyone must have endured. All in all I felt this was a good mix of an action novel, combined with the historical richness of the original. Do yourself a favour and pick this book up. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Asbolute Bloody Pleasure!, May 31 2010
Jamieson Villeneuve "Author at Large" (Ottawa Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Dear Sirs and Madams,

I have recently had the pleasure of reading the scholarly tome titled Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith.

Whilst I enjoyed the previous tome, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I must admit my disdain when this text was announced. I wondered briefly whether the publishers were simply trying to turn out a quick dollar or two by riding on the coat tails of their previous success. I waited with baited breath to be proved wrong in my assumptions.

Thankfully I was proved gloriously and wondrously wrong in my negative assumptions. Whilst Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters were a right fun romp through Austin's Victorian London with new gory monster bits, the novels were hampered by having to stay true to Jane Austin's original writings.

I must admit, though it will cause shock and disdain and perhaps some outrage, that I do not care for Austin's work on its own. It has the power to cure even my most grievous cases of amnesia. If faced with the challenge to read one of Austin's novels or instead spend my time being idly poked in my buttocks with a rusty poker of dubious origin, I am afraid that I would pick the rusty poker.

Whilst PPZ and SSSM (not to confused with the bedroom game called SM where patrons get to know each other in very different biblical relations than we would normally care to admit) make Austin's original writings much more bearable, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls takes the genre of mashups to new levels of gore, hilarity and immense enjoyment, as they are not hampered or held back by Austin's original flowery prose.

Freed of its flowery constraints, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is part prequel, part tribute and all fun. In fact, I can quite honestly say that I have never had such an uproarious time reading a book. The only other time that came close was when I was reading Lady Chatterly's Lover in church behind the hymnal and had to stand after reading one of the more racy moments recounted within the books pages. Prudence Peddington, the local post mistress, glimpsed my discomfort and paid call to my place of residence every day for a week after that sordid event.

Not only does Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls stay true to the tone and flow of Austin's original work (not to mention the previous book, the New York Times Best Selling Pride and Prejudice and Zombies), it manages to go beyond that and have a lot more fun besides. It's gory, delightful and wonderfully engrossing...and also very gross in certain parts.

While not being held back by Austin's prose enables the book to go above and beyond Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, PPZ: Dawn of the Deadfuls manages to give us a Victorian story filled with battles, history, romance and gore. Lots and lots of gore. It is without a doubt the best of the mash up novels I have read in recent times and even better than its predecessors. It is my humble opinion that PPZ: Dawn of the Dreadfuls brings the mash up to new, gory heights and it can only go up from there.

I implore you, Sirs and Madams, to partake of this scholarly tomb, to succumb to the blood soaked hilarity and joy that its pages offer. You will laugh, you will cry, you will scream (only if you are really very squeamish) and you will laugh some more. Quite simply put, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls is a hilarious, gory, beautiful, wonderful ride.

Yours most truly,

Sir Jamieson Wolf, Esquire and Master of Letters

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith (Paperback - March 1 2010)
CDN$ 14.95 CDN$ 10.79