4.0 out of 5 stars creative and intresting.
Published on July 21 2011 by jernfurdle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected
Published on Aug. 8 2011 by Hayley French

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars creative and intresting., July 21 2011
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
I purcahsed this book for my daughter who loves to read but found myself stealing it. (Don't worry I'll give it back) The pictures are what peeked my interest. When I realized that they were real (borrowed from vintage photo collections) that was it - I had to learn more. But there is so much more here then just the photos. The author does a great job of tying his creeping photo collection into a wonderfully creepy story. The ending leaves me with more questions then answers so I suspect this is just the begining for Jacob and the other peculiars.

Watch out for this book to make it to the big screen, 20th Centery Fox has purchased the rights.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, March 23 2012
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
this book is amazing. it is an easy read but the story that it tells is amazing. great story line and the pictures that are in the book help tell the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, Aug. 8 2011
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was one of those books I discovered online and immediately went out and bought. As a collector of vintage photos myself I was drawn in by the photos but most of all by the trailer on the author's website. The images of abandonment were incredibly compelling. I was prepared for a more traditional ghost story or something similar. What I got was a bit of a surprise but nevertheless a well constructed novel that will make for a terrific movie. If I have one criticism it would be that I found the lead character a bit immature to be believable as a 16 year old. He seemed to present himself more in the neighbourhood of 12 or 13 in the way he related to the other characters in the book. All in all money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars peculiar children to say the least, Feb. 3 2014
I enjoyed this book enough to hop right into the second one! It was imaginative and I found it correlates to the hollacaust very nicely. It is deeper than you imagined it to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 23 2014
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
If you are a teacher of English then this is the novel to use in high school, perhaps even middle school. If not, it is a great fantasy book for young people and adults alike. I thought t hat this book was exceptionally written with the use of old photographs helping to move it along and add character and flavour to the novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating Story:), March 5 2014
A. Soares - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
While I believe this book is geared towards young adults it is a fascinating read for adults too.

The premise: Jacob grew up hearing his grandfather's stories of living in a home with kids with special talents (sort of like the X-Men). As he aged, he dismissed these stories as nothing but fairy tales. When he is 16, something happens to force Jacob to revisit these stories and he ultimately begins a quest to find out more about his grandfather's past and uncover the truth behind his stories.

The characters: Interesting overall. In his "before" life, Jacob is a loner for the most part. We meet the "peculiars" and see them and their world through his eyes. Perhaps because of his previous isolation, Jacob is quick to latch on to this new world and begins to make new friends.

The pace: this is the first book in a series and was a good pace for an introductory novel. The second novel is already out (and I am about to begin reading tonight). This is a quick and easy read.

The bad: if you think too hard about the time loop there are a lot of questions. I've gone with "suspend disbelief and pretend its possible". I'm also a little bit disturbed by the dynamic between Emma and Jacob for a number of reasons.

The pictures: Love them! Adds a little something to the book.

Overall: definitely worth a read. Looking forward to reading the second installment (tonight!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magic!, Feb. 27 2014
I have no words for how much I love this book! Well, maybe a few words. :) It is inventive, unique, and fascinating. The imagination involved blows my mind! The story is exciting, the characters are interesting and likable, and the bad guys will give you nightmares. What more could you ask for?

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pics, boring story, Feb. 27 2014
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
The pictures are more cool than the story is... That's a bummer.
It's like R. Riggs found these really great pics, put them in a certain order and tried to make a story around them. While it is a nice idea, sometimes the reading is boring.
It's easy to see how it's gonna end, and it takes too long to go there...

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, Feb. 24 2014
Just quirky and different enough to rise to the top. Mr. Riggs has a great ability to combine his writing and found photographs to tell an interesting story about special children. Definitely worth the read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend, Feb. 3 2014
Fun to see how Jacob matures throughout the book. I also enjoyed the numerous twists and discoveries. It's a very creative and interesting story

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xafc09f00)

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (Hardcover - June 7 2011)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43