4.0 out of 5 stars creative and intresting.
Published on July 21 2011 by jernfurdle

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected
Published on Aug. 8 2011 by Hayley French

4.0 out of 5 stars creative and intresting., July 21 2011
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
I purcahsed this book for my daughter who loves to read but found myself stealing it. (Don't worry I'll give it back) The pictures are what peeked my interest. When I realized that they were real (borrowed from vintage photo collections) that was it - I had to learn more. But there is so much more here then just the photos. The author does a great job of tying his creeping photo collection into a wonderfully creepy story. The ending leaves me with more questions then answers so I suspect this is just the begining for Jacob and the other peculiars.

Watch out for this book to make it to the big screen, 20th Centery Fox has purchased the rights.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read, March 23 2012
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
this book is amazing. it is an easy read but the story that it tells is amazing. great story line and the pictures that are in the book help tell the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, Aug. 8 2011
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children was one of those books I discovered online and immediately went out and bought. As a collector of vintage photos myself I was drawn in by the photos but most of all by the trailer on the author's website. The images of abandonment were incredibly compelling. I was prepared for a more traditional ghost story or something similar. What I got was a bit of a surprise but nevertheless a well constructed novel that will make for a terrific movie. If I have one criticism it would be that I found the lead character a bit immature to be believable as a 16 year old. He seemed to present himself more in the neighbourhood of 12 or 13 in the way he related to the other characters in the book. All in all money well spent.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pics, boring story, Feb. 27 2014
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
The pictures are more cool than the story is... That's a bummer.
It's like R. Riggs found these really great pics, put them in a certain order and tried to make a story around them. While it is a nice idea, sometimes the reading is boring.
It's easy to see how it's gonna end, and it takes too long to go there...

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd want to grab it but wasn't sure how I'd like it. It's one of those books that's gotten ..., Dec 1 2014
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
I've been eyeing Miss Peregrine's for a while now. Every time I'd see it at a bookstore, I'd want to grab it but wasn't sure how I'd like it. It's one of those books that's gotten quite the hype but at the same time there's a lot of people who didn't like it. I quickly skimmed through the synopsis but didn't pay too much attention to it and just dived into it right away.

One of the things that I enjoyed about this book is that it didn't have a prolonged and boring beginning. It was easy to get into and didn't take long to finish. The story is told from Jacob's POV, a 16-year old who doesn't have many friends and is generally unhappy about his lifestyle. As the book progresses, we see him turn into someone who's stronger and can defend himself within a matter of weeks. The story itself is quite strange and I do applaud Ransom for it because I definitely didn't predict anything when I first started reading.

My favourite part of the book would definitely have to be the photographs! At the end of the book, it mentions that all the photos are actual real vintage photos that were collected by these people who would scour flea markets and old shops looking for peculiar photos! How cool is that?

This book was definitely something unique and I enjoyed every bit of it! The only issue I had, which I think is the reason why some people didn't enjoy the book, is that after finishing the book, I went back and read the synopsis again and to be honest, I feel that it is overly exaggerated. It's hard to explain why without giving away the plot, which can't be discussed without spoiling the story. In the synopsis, it mentions that the pictures are "haunting" and that the Peculiar Children are possibly dangerous and have been quarantined. After reading the book, I realize that these words are slightly true but I still wouldn't really consider this book to be a thriller. It falls somewhere in between the YA and Middle Grade genre, so honestly how scary do you think it would be? Not much, as assumed, so if you're going into the book looking for a haunting book, this is not it. This is a paranormal yet it's not life-scarring. So my suggestion would be to ignore the synopsis and ignore the hype and just get into it right away. Enjoy it for what it is because I truly did!

Oh and just to show how much I loved it, I ended up picking up Hollow City the moment I finished Miss Peregrine's.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thousand words are worth these pictures..., Oct. 10 2014
This review is from: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Hardcover)
I love vintage photographs. You know, those black and white snap shots of another time, when people hardly ever smiled at the camera. Each picture just offers up so many questions about its subject. So, when I heard about this book, I knew I had to check it out. Ransom Riggs has done a fine job of welding a tale from these dispirited images and the book is a page turner that's impossible to put down. And the last page is bittersweet, you just want this adventure to continue! Luckily, the second book in a planned trilogy, HOLLOW CITY, is now available. Can't wait to get back in the "loop".

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars peculiar children to say the least, Feb. 3 2014
I enjoyed this book enough to hop right into the second one! It was imaginative and I found it correlates to the hollacaust very nicely. It is deeper than you imagined it to be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very peculiar indeed., July 20 2014
Maria Casacalenda (Toronto, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I loved the idea behind this story. The front cover makes you think the story is going to be really eerie and creepy, but it really wasn't in my opinion. I thought it was very interesting and a good story for young adults. I am also extremely excited that Tim Burton is going to be turning this story into a movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars weird, June 24 2014
wonderfully weird, enjoyed deviating from the usual kinds of reading I do, which is murder mysteries and biographies thank you

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful!!!!, May 24 2014
What a delicious and interesting read. Loved it all - my kind of book... Can't wait to start number 2!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (Hardcover - June 7 2011)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43