5.0 out of 5 stars Leafy to Beefy
As a trainer, I like reviewing weightlifting books and found this one to be most interesting. First of all, the book is written very well, interjecting humor that makes it hard to put the book down. Having said that, however, I did find it a tad bit disorganized at times- and I say that mainly because I had to flip around a bit here and there.

Anyway, the book...
Published on Oct. 3 2008 by a reader

3.0 out of 5 stars all good, except
I have read this book over 3 or 4 times and it is good and Im sure anyone who follows it will put on muscle. They even greatly discuss injury prevention and the proper ways to lift for long scrawny guys. The only problem I have is in the nutritional sugestions. Like I said it will work, but the amount of heavy protein foods they want you to eat is very unhealthy and...
Published on Jan. 3 2008 by Workoutman

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have in your library, Dec 12 2005
This review is from: Scrawny to Brawny: The Complete Guide to Building Muscle the Natural Way (Paperback)
To all of the people who are in the sport nutrition and bodybuilding market, do not miss this one. Dr Berardi is one, if not the best nutritionist I've known. His theories have helped me as well as alot of my clients to perform and to reach their objectives. The most important of all, Dr Berardi tought me how to have very nutritional habits. Now, I don't only follow a diet, I have good nutritionnal habit. Another great book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, easy to understand book, Dec 1 2005
S2B is a great book and it is very easy to understand. I am completing a b.sc in kinesiology and still learned from this book. The basic principles are there, it is explained so everyone can understand, even if you've never been lifting before. There are great practical information that everyone can put to use. I especially liked the "corrective phase" of the program...very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard work will pay off, Dec 1 2005
Of all of the workout books I have read, this is one of the best yet. The dedication to nutrition is second to none and incredibly valuable even if you are not a "hardgainer".
The detailed plans for meals and workouts make this a book for anyone who has not been able to gain size in the past.
Follow the plan, work hard at it and you'll see the results.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has it all, Dec 18 2005
Andrey Rogina (Kitchener, Ontario) - See all my reviews
If you've ever had issues packing on weight and/or need help with that, get this book, it's as simple as that
Everything is laid out for you, explained in full detail and presented in a straight forward manner that is not difficult to implement in your day to day life
It's very simple: if you want to put on muscle and transform your body...........buy this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Things have changed for the better, Nov. 30 2005
Patrick Gagnon (Saint-Eustache, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
Thanks to Mike Mejia and Dr Berardi's book, I've made gains I've been pursuing for years. They showed and explained in details their strategies and workouts, so anybody, from beginner to athletes can understand and benefit from them. Easy, comprehensive and thorough. And did I mentionned the gains?

4.0 out of 5 stars go for it but watch out, May 31 2006
Jean-pierre Sanchez (Canada) - See all my reviews
This book is great and it works. I find it at time difficult to get all the messages that are dispersed in different chapters. There is a lot of information but it could have been better organised so that you don't have to flip pages here and there.

I would have liked some hints as far as possible injuries, specially if you are older than 35. The exercices proposed are hard to your body if you don't do them correctly, so I would suggest you get a trainer as well to make sure you are doing it right. I got shoulders injuries and now back injury. I understand my mistake with the shoulder injury (not reading carefully about scrapular retraction...but again until you hurt yourself you won't care about it). But i don't understand my back injury, except for the fact that I am not that young any more.

In summary excellent program, I got excellent results, but slow because this is my second injury.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Advice, Aug. 10 2005
By A Customer
I have read other books by one of these auhtors and I knew it would be loaded with good information.I have given this book to my younger cleints who want to build size the natural way. Recommend this book and the book below for a strong overall balance to your workout program. I also recommend everyone who works out to get this book 'The Backsmart Fitness Plan' A full complete program from stretching to great dumbell exercies and balance drills.These two books have helped me out alot in getting in the best shape in years.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for anyone, not just skinny guys, Oct. 22 2005
This book has everything. Save your money buying magazines filled with pictures of oiled up steriod monsters telling you their impossible routines and buy this book instead.One thing I liked is how it details the proper way to bench press and squat, saving wear and tear on your shoulders and back.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with this one, Dec 29 2005
Let me start off by saying that it's been a long time since I last read such an informative and helpful book. In the world of confusion this book clearly presents the rules one should follow in order to get the desired results (and what I mean by that is putting on some serious weight, obviously). You can forget about endless browsing thru the Internet looking for some info on fitness matters and then trying to figure out if it also applies to you. Well, if you're kinda skinny it does not and what you need is a different approach to weightlifting.
In the first part of S2B you'll read about the proper execution of various exercises, including those heavy, compound lifts. The authors suggest that you follow a four stage plan for building muscle (from assessment of your present fitness level and a basic workout to get your body in shape all the way down to the real deal). Exercises are well described, easy to perform and there are plenty of photos to make sure you do the right thing.
The second part of the book deals with proper nutrition. I have to say that it does go into great detail about it which helps you understand the science behind the gym. Hopefully it will also convince those who think they can eat whatever they want or as little as they want and still get the results (forget it, this ain't gonna work). The diet seems healthy and the emphasis is put on gaining muscles the natural way (yes, that means no steroids). I think it's sufficient to say I put on a few kilos simply by following the dietary advice laid out in this book!
Both parts of the book are filled with practical advice you can apply the same day you read it. S2B is down-to-earth, intelligently written and fun to read (I burst out laughing several times...). It's all you need to get from where you are to where you really wanna be. Go ahead and get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book. I recommend it to anyone!, May 28 2009
TommyGuitar (Nelson, Bc, Canada) - See all my reviews
This book worked for me. I went from 174 to 204 in just over three months. I am 6'2" and 19 years old.

I didn't really follow the diet regimen that well, only as a guideline. I followed the basic principles of the diet/nutrition timing though. I ate a lot of tuna and chicken breasts, everyday. It is important to eat alot! People have commented on how I have gained rapid weight/mass. That was music to my ears. Also, I skipped the first month of workout routine because I was already a couple months into weight training. In hindsight I should have done it but I just felt like lifting weights instead of doing stretches.

I am going to do this routine again in the fall with PLENTY of food. Some of the lifts are challenging! My bench went from getting stuck under 115lbs to 205 lbs. I can't wait to do this again!

I would recommend this book to anyone, not just ectomorphs, looking to build muscle. [...]

Scrawny to Brawny: The Complete Guide to Building Muscle the Natural Way