5.0 out of 5 stars What an amazing end to a fantastic series!, Dec 7 2010
Tynga's Reviews (Quebec,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
*** This reviews contains spoilers from previous book in the series***

Where should I start..? After the Queen's murder and Rose's imprisonment, future didn't look so bright for our eclectic group of friends. Everything will be done to clear Rose's name though, and some alliance will be questioned. *tiny spoiler from the first chapters here* The clock is ticking though and the procedures surrounding Rose's accusations are speeding up, forcing her crew to take drastic decisions. Breaking Dimitri and Rose out of custody to hide while their name is been cleared is on the menu, but did they really think Miss Hathaway would sit back and wait? If so, they will be disappointed!

Before I get down to my impressions of the book, yes you will know who Lissa's siblings is. Yes, Tatiana's murderer will be found. Yes, Rose will choose between Dimitri & Adrian. And yes, you will die from excitement!

What a way to end a series! Each page is more exciting than the previous one, and when you thought you figured the whole thing? Wrong! Guess again! Mead keeps you on your toes the whole time and she won't disappoint. From page one, you sit and buckle your belt for quite a rollercoaster ride. Action, treason, mystery, courage, passion and love, Last Sacrifice has everything to please its readers.

You've made it this far, you know how fabulous Mead's characters are, so there's not really a need to yell loud and clear how much I love them.... but I will anyway! I'm in LOVE with those characters. Each one of them is special in their own way. They have wits and snarky comments, they are committed and fearless, they will surprise you, frustrate you, disappointed you, but none will leave impassive. Lissa has always been smart, but she will have to outdo herself and be courageous because for the first time, Rose depends on her. Dimitri will have to fight the hardest fight he's ever had: a will battle against himself. Can he forgive himself? Can he open his heart again? Is it too late? And Rose will have to rely on her friends to fight for her, instead of fighting her own battle which will prove extremely hard.

I'm a strong Team Dimitri member, and Richelle keeps us in the suspense for a very long time. I won't tell you which boy wins Rose's heart, but I will tell you that even though her romantic problems are very often on her mind, the fiery moments are very scattered at first, before blazing in glory near the end. The emotional out there will be satiated though, worry not! Chapter 29 is by far my favorite!

All of the characters you love, or love to hate, will be there, and not a happy ending awaits for every single one of them. Hearts will be broken, tears will be shed and battles will be lost. But in the end Richelle built the perfect ending for this fabulous series. Not everyone has their happily ever-after, but that's how life is. The end was nicely tied up and we don't know what happens with every characters, but I'm hoping those loose ends will be answered in the spin-off series (And the title of the first book will be Bloodlines in case you didn't know!).

Here are some of my favorite quotes I wanted to share with you!

p.169

Adrian's surprise was brief. "Little Dhampir, you've been spying."

"It's hard not to."

"You know, as much as I like the idea of having someone always know when you're in trouble, I'm still kind of glad I don't have anyone bound to me. Not sure I'd want them looking in my head."

"I don't think anyone would want to look in your head either. One person living Adrian Ivashkov's life is hard enough."

p.233

For a moment, I was captivated as I studied them side by side. My mother: the perfect picture of guardian excellence and decorum. My father: always capable of achieving his goals, no matter how twisted the means. Uneasily, I began to understand how I'd inherited my bizarre personality.

p.373

He looked at each of our faces, no doubt wondering what a moroi, a dhampir, and a human were doing at his door. It sounded like the start of a bad joke.

The last two quotes are spoilery *READ AT YOUR OWN RISK*

p.453

Frustration filled his features. "Rose, I've done a lot of bad things, most of which I can never fix or find redemption for. My only choice now, if I want to reclaim my life, is to go forward, stopping evil and doing what's right. And what is not right is taking a woman from another man, a man I like and respect. I'll steal cars. I'll break into houses. But there are lines I will not cross, no matter what I-"

p. 484

"I don't belong to anyone. I make my own choices."

"And you're with Adrian," said Dimitri.

"But I was meant for you."

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, Jan. 28 2011
Gold Star Award Winner!

Rose is in jail, awaiting her trial for the murder of Queen Tatiana. Rose isn't good at being patient and away from the action. She can't stand being locked up. It's driving her crazy.

Then her father lawyer comes for a visit, telling her the trial date has been moved up. Instead of having a month, they might have two weeks. Rose knows that's not going to be enough time to uncover the real murderer.

She doesn't have much time to worry, though, because on the date of the funeral, her friends break her out of prison. Now, she's on the run and supposed to go into hiding.

But Rose never does anything the easy way. She also has a secret to uncover from the late Queen. Can she clear her name and put the kingdom back to rights - or will she be forever on the outside?

LAST SACRIFICE is a perfect ending for an amazing series. I love Rose for her feisty behavior, for her loyalty, and for her moral compass. I'm going to miss reading about her adventures: the danger, the friendship bond, and the romance.

VAMPIRE ACADEMY is simply a marvelous series.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Series and a Great Ending!, Jan. 10 2011
This review is from: Last Sacrifice: A Vampire Academy Novel (Hardcover)
In this finale, Rose is framed for murdering the Moroi Queen but of course no one will stand to see Rose fall for something she never did. With help from her friends and parents, Rose is broken out of jail and escapes with her ex-boyfriend Dimitry and an Alchemist. Rose's best friend Lissa, her boyfriend Christian and Rose's boyfriend Adrian stay at court in order to find out who trully murdered the Queen. The plan is for Rose to lay low until proof is found but Rose is not the type to stay put and soon a plan is formed to find Lissa's brother/sister. Dimitry made his feelings clear to Rose, that nothing can happen between them but as the book goes on, little clues are dropped here and there that the two still feel very strongly about each other. And apart from all that, the next ruler for the vampire world has to be decided and elections are under way. Will Rose stay with Adrian or will things work out between her and Dimitry? Will Rose find Lissa's lost sibling? Who will be the next ruler for the vampire world? You'll have to read to find out!

I'm trully amazed at how consisten the author remained through out the entire series. Usually the first book is the best and then things go downhill from there. Not here! Every book is great and the story is alway original in every one. Rose remains powerful and retains her great sense of humour. There isn't a dull moment in this last book, you can't keep yourself from putting it down. The passion between Rose and Dimitry is alone worth reading this for. Every character is so well written out that you can see them in your mind every time you read about them. The end of the book however could have held more answers, especially to some of the main characters. As a reader, you're still left in the dark about what exactly happend to some of those people... Rose does wonder but the answer is never given in the end. This might be just because it's not really relevant - the main story is after all about Rose but i still felt like i wanted to know.

The ending was amazing! I was honestly scared that this will be the kind of ending where someone important dies or something horrible happens. But it never did! Everything worked out fine. Amazing series, very well written and it's so different from the typical "Twiligh" type vampire novels out there. I just love how Rose is such a strong person, a young woman who knows how to fight better than most men. Her sense of humour pulls the book so well, every time she voiced her opinion or thought i had to laugh out loud. I'm re-reading the series now. Read all 6 books, you'll love them. A must read for all young adults who loved Twilight or any other vampire book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to end a series..., Dec 7 2010
Avery Greaves "Avery's Book Book" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"They come first.

My vision was growing dimmer, the blackness and ghosts closing in. I swore it was like I could hear Robert whispering in my ear: The world of the dead won't give you up a second time. Just before the light completely vanished, I saw (edit- took this part out because it would tell you which guy she picked) face join Lissa's. I wanted to smile. I decided then that if the two people I loved most were safe, I could leave this world.

The dead could finally have me.

Rose Hathaway has always played by her own rules. She broke the law when she ran away from St. Valdimir's Academy with her best friend and surviving Dragomir princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputations to protect generations of dhampir guardians to come.

Now the law has finally caught up with Rose- for a crime she didn't even commit. She's in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She'll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.

But the clock on Rose's life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back... and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your whole life is about saving others, who will save you?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*** This reviews contains spoilers from previous book in the series***

Okay, to start off... People are obviously going to be heartbroken by this book- it is just inevitable. If you are Team Adrian and Rose chooses Dimitri, you will be hurt (and obviously she has to choose one of the guys), or vice versa, if you are Team Dimitri and she chooses Adrian, you will also be heartbroken. Sorry, but there just isn't any way around it. That being said, I will not tell you who she chooses, this being a spoiler-free review...

I was kinda worried with this book that a lot would be rushed, I seemed to think that "Spirit Bound" was a bit rushed, but I find that to not have occurred at all (well thank gosh, considering it is a 600 page book). And I am not going to lie; a lot of this book took me by surprise... For instance, I knew that they were obviously going to look for/ find Lissa's illegitimate sibling that she was unaware of, but I never would have guessed who that person was. Or who murdered the Queen? In my opinion all the evidence pointed in one person's direction irrefutably, and then BAM! That all goes out the window when another is revealed to be the killer.

A lot of old characters are reintroduced in this book and after reading it, it becomes evident that Richelle put a lot of thought behind everything, as everything from the first to last book is woven so well together and flows perfectly. What I loved most about this book (besides for the ending), is that it allowed us to learn so much more about the characters and really see sides of them we had never seen before. For instance, how carefree Dimitri can really be, or how serious Adrian can be, and how truly caring Christian is. Shockingly, I also found myself feeling sorry for a lot of characters I never imagined I would, like Robert and Victor for instance.

One concern that I do have though, is about Lissa, specifically her relationship with Rose... A few major things happen towards the end that can completely alter the outcome of the... (oh yes, in case you didn't know about this) SPIN-OFF SERIES COMING OUT NEXT AUGUST (The 23rd I believe)!!! The spin-off, called "Bloodlines", is not going to be told from Rose's point of view, though she will make an appearance. It is going to be told by someone in the Moroi court. Prior to reading this book I thought that hands-down it was going to be told from Lissa's point of view, but after reading this, I just don't think it is... I am more leaning towards that *hush, hush* illegitimate sibling's point of view- though I really don't want it to- give me my darn ROSE! Anyways, back to my original point. I think that the outcome of this book is obviously going to change Lissa and dare I say it? I am worried that it will not be a change for the good. And the guy that Rose doesn't choose? Well, I think we really need to keep our eye on him too, because I can totally see him in the future being an evil guy like Victor, plotting against Rose and Lissa.

Anyways, great book- you will love it... It vastly exceeds a rating of 5/5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow...great 6 book series, March 4 2014
Bootsy Bass (Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Being the last book of a great series is a tough job. You have to tie up all the loose ends heading towards the climax ......and then, post climax, you have to resolve all the characters and relationships. It is a tough job but Richelle Mead pulls this off very admirably. Even with all the expectations of a finale she still throws in tons of action and plot misdirection. It is very entertaining to see how this is all accomplished. Great book and series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly awesome, beautiful, funny and exciting story, Feb. 9 2011
This review is from: Last Sacrifice: A Vampire Academy Novel (Hardcover)
The whole series was a page turner. The story between Rose and Dimitri was so electric. I loved it!!! The friendship between Rose and Lisa was also pretty special. Just the whole story was great. I'm sad to hear that this is the last story about Rose. I felt like there was at least a couple more books left for Rose and all to star in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blowing Finale!, July 23 2013
Amazing finale of the Vampire Academy series!

Intense and shocking scenes when Rose's friends and her former lover broke her out of jail. Heart wrenching scenes when Dimitri meets other Strigoi. Sweet and detailed love scenes and amazing detail and description.

Tears fell out of my eyes at parts, while outrage was harshly expressed when the true murderer of Tatiana was found out.

Pleasure seeped through me when Rose and Dimitri could be together once more.

Truly amazing! I would recommend this to all my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 6 2013
This review is from: Last Sacrifice: A Vampire Academy Novel (Hardcover)
its one of the greatest book in the series! I would recommend it to my friends anytime!Great book, great author! easy to follow if you've read the other books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great ending to the series, April 20 2013
This was a great ending to the Vampire Academy series. It was full of action, tension, and twists.

Rose is charged with killing Queen Tatiana is about to stand trial for treason, an offense punishable by death. While she is locked up, the tables turn as it is her friends who have concocted the crazy plan to help her escape.

The story has two aspects: Rose and Dimitri and their life on the run, following leads and getting into their own trouble when they are supposed to be laying low; and Lissa and their friends trying to find the real murderer back at the royal court. Again, the connection between Lissa and Rose proves to be invaluable so that we can see what is going on in both places.

Then there is the development of the relationship between Rose and Dimitri - and how Adrian fits into what is going on between them. I did feel sorry for Adrian, but I thought it was interesting how Mead dealt with the whole thing. There certainly was no nicely wrapped up solution and I liked how Mead didn't pretend there was. She left some things messy.

There are also some great twists in the plot that keep the reader turning the pages. I love how so many threads throughout the whole series come together to make sense in this book. However, there are also some tangles, and though things all make sense in the end, there are still questions about what will happen next.

Overall, I think anyone who has read the Vampire Academy series will really love this book and will completely devour it, eating up every word and savoring the tension between Rose and Dimitri.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing End to the Series, Dec 16 2010
This review is from: Last Sacrifice: A Vampire Academy Novel (Hardcover)
Richelle Mead is a fanastic writer, Last Sacrifice has everything you could hope for. I loved it, can't wait for Bloodline.

I love Rose and Dimitri also love her and Adrian together.

Last Sacrifice: A Vampire Academy Novel
Last Sacrifice: A Vampire Academy Novel by Richelle Mead (Hardcover - Dec 7 2010)
CDN$ 22.50 CDN$ 13.76