5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!
'Green' is an almost perfect, seamless, beginning and the end to the Circle Series. It has to be the most original series I have ever read. The story has elements of Bible lore. There is a Judas (the betrayer), people "baptizing" (called "drowning in the book) to literally wash away their "sins", and Thomas the main character could have been the new Moses.

You...
Published on June 1 2010 by Novel Thoughts

2.0 out of 5 stars Green by Ted Dekker- An Honest Review
Published on Oct. 2 2009 by Daniel Scott

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, June 1 2010
This review is from: Green (Paperback)

You will get lost in this story, and it will make you think. Amazing, along the lines of "The Lord of the Rings" or "Narnia" for Christian based fantasy.
If you like Christian based Fantasy, these books are a must!!

If you enjoy christian fiction I'd also recommend the time travel story 'Godstone - The Kairos Boxes':

Godstone - The Kairos Boxes

2.0 out of 5 stars Green by Ted Dekker- An Honest Review, Oct. 2 2009
I don't like writing negative reviews. I know how hard it is to write a book, and hats off to Mr. Dekker for finishing so many. That truly is a feat. Also hats off for the stunning Circle trilogy he wrote, in my mind, it was brilliant. But I have to be honest. I know I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, so let me just say that I'm not judging Mr. Dekker as a person, but, an author WILL be judged by his writing. That's how it works. So let's get started.
*NOTE* MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Green can be rather confusing to a new reader in the beginning, especially if you have not read The Circle Trilogy. I know he wrote at the beginning of the book that you can start with 'Green' and go on to 'Black', but trust me, you can't. He includes many elements from the previous novels ('Black', 'Red', and 'White') along with others, that makes the reader lost if not having read the previous stories. These elements are hardly explained except for a sentence such as 'a roush Thomas had met a while ago...' I was alright for the most part, but it was hard to keep up with a couple of the characters as I had not read 'Showdown' or 'Saint'. This is a huge error- an author should never assume that the reader has read all of the books, especially since this book can 'begin' or 'end' the series.
-> Plotline: The Circle is breaking up with different doctrinal lines, doubts, and bitterness. Thomas of Hunter is 10 years older with a wife (Chelise) and 3 children- Samuel, Marie, and Jake. Samuel has lost his way, rebelling against the Circle and his father. Thomas tries to save his son and the Circle before it is too late, with Chelise trying to save her father.

-> Characters:

1. Thomas Hunter (Main): A complete rewrite- I barely recognized the Thomas Hunter from the previous books. In the beginning, he is challenged in front of the Circle by his son, Samuel. Samuel rebels against Elyon and sparks a disruption. Marie- Thomas's daughter, challenges Samuel to hand-to-hand combat to the death in defense of her father's honour. What does Thomas do? Nothing. He's completely helpless, stunned. This made me almost despise him. It's basically like this throughout the whole story: something "shocking" and horrible happens, and Thomas sits down and cries. NOT a man.
2. Chelise: Far too obsessed with her parent's salvation, so much so that she puts her whole family at risk. She disobeys all of her husband's commands and precautions.
3. Samuel: Apparently an antagonist. He rebels against the Circle, is seduced and brings about Armaggedon. At the beginning he is "saved", in the end he is not. To me he seemed repentant, but he died unsaved.
4. Qu'rong: Mostly the same. I was quite happy with his character.
5. Ba 'al/Billos/Billy/Bill: As you can see, four split personalities is very confusing. Ba'al has lived for some time in the other world, while Billy has lived in ours. Yet they are one and the same, despite Billy never dreaming until this book. The phenomena is unexplained and far too confusing. Billy aparently was a character in 'Showdown' and plays a major role in this book. However, not much of him is explained under the assumption that the reader has read 'Showdown'.
6. Janae/Jezreel: Another split personality, Janae is Monique's daughter, and has Shatiaki/demon blood in her. She is naturally evil, and partner's with Billy to find the lost books in this other world. Billy and Janae inject themselves with the Raison Strain, counting on the fact that Monique will save their lives and provide a way to Thomas by injecting them with the last vial of his blood. Confusing, I know...but I'm doing my best.
7. Monique: Older and a few mistakes wiser, she injects Billy and Janae with Thomas's blood to save their lives, even though she know's it could affect the whole world. Did not seem like her AT ALL.
8. Kara: Thomas's sister, encourages Monique to save Janae and Billy, saying it's what Thomas would do, when obviously it was'nt- (Thomas having stood back and let his son be sacrificed for Elyon in a previous chapter.) I don't know if that was meant to be ironic or not.
9. Marsuuv/Marsuvees Black: Apparently this character is connected to Billy and 'Showdown'. Had no clue what was going on. Marsuuv is a demonic "queen" to Teeleh. Didn't know what the point was.

-> Writing & Suspense: For the most part, I was kept hooked into the story. Though he's slackened off a bit in my opinion, Dekker still has a writer's touch and can keep the reader interested. Granted, the book could have used a many rewrites to make it all fit more smoothly, but I thought he told everything very well, despite the fact that I did not agree with how the story went, or how the characters evolved. Awful story, written well.

-> Theological and Moral Disputes:

1. Sensual and Sexual Elements: I would NOT let my younger brother read this novel. This book had far more sensual moments and sexual elements than and of the previous, and this highly disappointed me. I was going to buy the set for my younger brother as a Christmas present, but now I cannot. Mr. Dekker did not take into consideration his younger audience of fans, and I would recommend that all parents review this book before passing it on to their children. Mr. Dekker mentions foreplay, demonic "mating", and many sensual desires that honestly, were not appropriate.
2. Doctrinal and Theological Elements: A.) The theory that the Devil has children through humans. This is a dangerous and not sound idea that has not been biblically proven, though many read into it. B.) The idea that it is possible to lose your salvation. Samuel is an albino (saved) up until the middle of this book, where he is seduced and becomes a Scab. He dies unsaved. How is that possible with eternal salvation? C.) The idea that we get a second life on earth, and a chance to save lost loved ones who are already in hell. Elyon allows Thomas Hunter to go back in time to save his son, after Samuel has died and gone to hell. This is never allowed. We get one chance to accept Jesus- this life we live. No do-overs. D.) That all fighting and self-defense is of the world. In this book, the saved believe any fighting at all makes them like the Scabs- the unsaved. They do not defend themselves or their families, instead getting slaughtered because they believe to only show love to the Scabs. This is a dangerous doctrine and clearly against the Bible. God does want us to defend our homes and our families. He means for husbands to protect their wives and their children. Those are only the big ones. There are a lot more, but this review is getting too long already.
3. Demonic Elements: I believe it is possible for a christian, for anyone, to delve too deeply into the occults and demonic elements. You say "know your enemy". I say "know your Jesus". The Bible clearly states to dwell on those things that are lovely, dwell on those things that are pure, dwell on those things that are of good report. It is dangerous for us to study the darkness of the Devil too much. We are not to dwell on that. We are to study the Bible and learn more about Jesus. 'Green' is much darker then all the previous books in the Circle series. In the book are included graphic sacrifices and rituals, demonic possession, and etc. A LOT of it- too much. We know that the devil is powerful, but our God is greater. We are to know HIM. We defeat the Devil with Jesus and the power of the Bible, not by studying the dark arts. This really put me off of the story and I believe, took away from it.

->Ending (or lack thereof): I know that Mr. Dekker was trying to make the series a Circle, but that's not the way it is. The book ends with an Armageddon of sorts. Thomas nearly enters heaven, but is still saddened at the loss of Samuel. He begs Elyon to let him return to the past to "save" his son, and surprisingly, Elyon does. A big catch: Thomas cannot remember anything that has happened in all the books. He goes back to where he was at the start of 'Black', living in his sister's apartment, and the whole story starts over again. There is no ending in this. We are told at the end of Green to read Black. What? The same story will just start all over again. Thomas will not save his son because the same thing will happen, and then Elyon will send him back again, and on it goes. Thomas has no memory of anything that happened, so he won't know he was sent back to save his son, and he'll just do the same thing. (Since it continues in the same books.) Samuel made his choice. Everyone makes their choice. We cannot go back and make them change it, we cannot save anybody. Overall, an unsatisfactory ending.

Well, that about wraps it up. Please remember that though this review was brutally honest, it's just my opinion. I'm not telling you to read it or not, but this is what I read. I believe Mr. Dekker can do much better than this, as seen in 'Black' and 'Red'. I'm not attacking his character, I'm stating what I know and what I get from his books. Lately, it seems to me that his books have gotten a lot darker, and more secular. A book cannot be written christian/secular. It doesn't work. I don't know for a fact that he's trying to appeal to both audiences, but the way the books have been going, including this one, it seems that way. I believe this book is too close to the edge for comfort, and cannot be considered an allegory anymore. Please know that I'm not "slamming" Mr. Dekker. He has a great talent. I'm just hoping he let's it out again.

Jerusha Scott

4.0 out of 5 stars Creative, imaginative, Sept. 1 2009
This review is from: Green (Paperback)
Ted Dekker continues to write in his creative style in this story about Elyon's followers becoming weary and discouraged after years of waiting for Elyon to show himself again. Thomas's son, Samuel, goes against his father's wishes and beliefs to lead his own group to wage war on their enemies.

I loved Black, Red and White but felt that Green was a bit of a let-down. I didn't enjoy it quite as much and would have been happy to end the story with White. However, it was interesting to see how he cleverly ties all the events and characters together to make this book the beginning and the end. It was interesting to see how Billy's role plays out. I would prefer to read this book at the end because I liked the intriguing beginning of Black; I think if Green was read first it would take away from the suspenseful unfolding of the story of Thomas's two worlds.

Still, the book was good and worth reading, written in typical Dekker style with its twists and turns and imaginative characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2.5/5 would be more appropriate, Oct. 12 2009
Blair Roberts (canada) - See all my reviews
for my latest reading project, i jumped into "Green" by Ted Dekker. it's a fantasy read, somewhere along the lines of chronicles of narnia, where the lines between reality and fantasy get blurry. its the 4th book in a series, the first three books being "Black", "Red" and "White". he calls it circular, because if you are just starting to read the series now, you could start on green, and then go through the other three. but if you were a reader before, and have read the other three already, you could read this one as the last book of the series. freaky, i know... so this book both leads you into the next series or wraps it up for you depending on whether you've read the books before. anyway, it took me long enough to explain how the book works...

anyway, i thought it was alright. i really enjoyed the other three when i read them years ago. i thought they were exciting. this one didn't hold the same power for me. while it kept my attention long enough, it didn't feel as satisfying to get to the end. dekker uses a lot of biblical imagery, which i found kind of cool in the last few books. you understand the points he's trying to make before he even gets there, which keeps you hooked. anyway, i'm not sure if the book wasn't as good as the old ones or if i'm just not as much of a fantasy nerd as i used to be. either way, it was an alright book. i would recommend people start with "black" instead of "green" if you are going to start the series. 2.5/5 on the blair-o-meter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, Oct. 6 2009
Christina Banks "Stina Rose" (Deep River, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Thomas Hunter is struggling to keep the circle in tacked. It is his own son, Samuel, who seems to be pulling it apart - voicing the doubts that everyone already has about Elyon's promises and doctrines. Love the horde? Samuel stirs everything up when he rides into the celebration with the head of a horde soldier. The circle is fragmenting, and Thomas is forced to go back in the histories to find the answers to the problems that are facing him. But, others, from the past, want to use the histories as well. It is a race against time. Will good win out over evil? Will the circle shatter completely? Will Thomas be able to save his son?

This book is full of action and suspense that keeps the pages turning. There are themes and doctrines that I found very disturbing. Samuel, though saved (an albino) at the beginning of the book, dies as a Scab (unsaved) at the end. There is a lot of demonology in the book as well. Disturbing things that actually gave me nightmares after reading it.

Ted Dekker had a great idea in making the circle series completely circular. Green is book zero. You can start with it, or end with it. It is the beginning and the end of the circle. At least that was the idea. I haven't read any of the other circle books, and after reading Green, I won't. To go back and read Black, Red and White would be a let down, knowing how the story finishes.

I had never read a Dekker book before, and I wasn't sure what I would be getting myself into. I am always on the lookout for new authors to add to my reading library. I don't mind fantasy and Sci-fi elements in stories, but I think that Dekker goes a little far in his "christian" fictionalization of the last times. There were many things in the book that I found disturbing and inappropriate. Violence, sex and evil were all seemingly glorified in the story. Though I hate to give bad reviews, I have to admit that after reading Green, I'm not going to bother with another Dekker book.

I don't recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, May 13 2011
This review is from: Green (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite books, as well as series. It is exciting, non-stop, and deeply allegorical. I could not put it down!

1.0 out of 5 stars An ending maybe, as a beginning lacking..., Nov. 2 2009
S. Morehouse (Langley, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green (Paperback)
I specifically chose this book because of the author's assertion that Green begins the series and ends the series. I assumed that meant that I could read and understand it without knowing what was in the other books. Unfortunately this just isn't the case. The cast of characters is confusing and the symbolism often seems contrived or unclear and the story was hard to follow. This was disappointing because, despite this, the writing is superb. The depictions of good and evil in physical form are beyond amazing. But because I was so confused I could never really connect with the characters.

I really wanted to like this book. I love fantasy novels with big apocalyptic themes and high drama. I like time travel and I watch the Space Channel so I have no problem with imaginative story lines and mythical creatures. I've played Myst and Riven so I even understand about linking books and writing into books to change history. All these things I understand and really like. What I don't understand and didn't like at all was Ted Dekker's novel Green as the beginning and the end of the Circle Trilogy. As a beginning it was lacking in information and I wonder how satisfying it really was as an ending for those who've read the other books? So that's the best I can do for a review, I can't really tell you the story because I'm sure I would tell it wrong. This is one case where each reader will have to make their own decision about how good or bad the book is. Don't rely just on reviews; read the book for yourself and decide.

Green
Green by Ted Dekker (Paperback - Aug. 20 2009)
Used & New from: CDN$ 8.75