5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff.
Published on Jan. 15 2012 by Ken Francis

3.0 out of 5 stars Reiteration of the Mundane
Here we are presented with another remedy for our financial colds, flues, and fatal financial diseases. How to make a total money make over to bring ourselves to the land of financial security. How to invest successfully. One of his brilliant tips: reduce credit card debt. Thanks Dave. In the recent wave of stagnant markets, there are a lot of people in these...
Published on Sept. 4 2003 by K. Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff., Jan. 15 2012
Ken Francis (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness (Hardcover)
I must admit, I was pretty cautious when I first picked up Dave Ramsey's book The Total Money Makeover. It's not a particularly threatening book - it's just that the cover has a similar effect to receiving an unsolicited sales email. There is a picture of him staring into the camera with an all-knowing gaze. Everything is green and red and gold ' money, money, money. The caption, all-caps: "Hundreds of thousands of ordinary people have become debt-free ' here's how you can too." It's not exactly subtle.

Upon digging into the information, it's pretty useful stuff. It's not so much a technical manual for places to cut costs as it is a motivational book to refer to when times get tough. Dave writes in a refreshing, conversational manner, and begins by bringing the low-down on various "Money Myths." He discusses the reasons that playing the Lotto won't make you rich ("Lotto and Power Ball are a tax on the poor and people who can't do math"), why pre-paying anything isn't really worth it, and why bankruptcy is hardly ever a good option.

From here, Dave takes the reader through the extremely simple "Baby Steps" which make up the meat of the book:

Create a $1000 emergency fund while paying the minimums on every debt. Make sure it's liquid. Budget hard.
List all your debts ' every last one. Pay them off in order of smallest to largest, regardless of interest rates. This is to keep you motivated as you gather "small wins" on the road to being debt-free. Any mortgage shouldn't be listed here, but student loans should, according to Dave.
Finish your emergency fund. Bump that sucker up to three to six months (or more) of living costs. Ramsey says this value is $10,000 +-, depending on if your income is steady . If you're in a contract position, at risk of losing your job, or self employed, more money is better.
Invest 15% of your income in your retirement. Don't fatten your kids' college funds first. That was something I definitely thought about the second I saw my Student Line of Credit balance. Ramsey says, "your kids' college degrees won't feed you at retirement," and he's right.
Fund your kids' college. In this step, Ramsey talks about how the number one rule of going to college is to pay cash. He really rails against borrowing ("Student loans are a cancer") and at times even seems against the idea of going to college if you can't afford to pay up front. My parents had not set me up with a college fund, so I thought debt was the only way to do it.
Pay off the mortgage. Straightforward.
Get super rich. At this point, Ramsey says, "You are not Mastered by a Card, you have not Discovered bondage, American Excess has left your life." He urges us to use our money wisely ' have fun, invest and give.
Ramsey peppers the book with a bit of religious gospel coupled with the financial stuff. It's not intrusive at all and shouldn't be a deterrent to any open-minded individual. I do not count myself as a member of the Christian faith, but the Bible verses included were relevant elaborations on the concepts in Ramsey's book.

Some of the advice in the book directly contradicts the math of what's going to save you the most money - logically and on paper, that is. At first I thought this idea was preposterous, but upon further consideration I realized that the math doesn't really matter at all. If it's just a matter of math, all we need to do to be rich is simple subtraction, making sure our incoming money outweighs the outgoing money. Chances are, if you're reading this blog or this book, you know the math but haven't been keeping up so well on the motivation part. This book is a psychological push in the right direction for managing your finances, and as such it should take up a place on the bookshelf of anybody who cares about their finances.

I didn't learn anything particularly technical from the book, but it's all well-grounded common sense. Ramsey drives home the point that rich people don't get rich by knowing any well-kept secret. He says that having stable finances comes from being able to stay motivated while putting very basic concepts into practice. Total Money Makeover is a great place to start getting your finances in order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, April 5 2013
I read this book before but didn't put it into practice for long and fell back into my old ways. After reading it the second time I realized I need to stay on this makeover. I would recommend it for all young couples and anyone wanting to retake control of their finances and give all the glory to God. He is our provider. He will never leave us nor forsake us.

4.0 out of 5 stars this has changed our lives, July 11 2014
This book changed how we look at money, it made us realize we are in control, and we just had to smarten up and make better choices. Dave Ramsey gave us the motivation we needed to do it. I would recommend this book to anyone who has debt.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, May 30 2014
Enjoyed reading this book. My husband is now going to read it and we are going to start our Total Money Makeover and our journey to being debt free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Feb. 10 2014
This book is ideal for someone who just wants to tweak a particular aspect of their finances, or it does just as well for the person who has never learned how to manage money. You learn that money management is a skill, can be learned, and will get you where you want to go in life. The book gives you everything you need to learn the basics, and provides information on where to get the tools to do it; e.g., budget sheets.

What's more, this man is you and me. He has been there and done that. For some, like Dave Ramsey, experience is the best teacher. The fact that he is able to turn it around and share it with us, prevents many of us from making the same mistakes, continually. He stops us in our tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is a blessing, Jan. 9 2014
Even if you think you have your finance's in order you need to read this book
And if your finance's need help you need to make this book you life.
Because it will get you on the right track and keep you there.

This book is a God send
and so is Dave Ramsey.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read for Everyone, Nov. 21 2013
This should be taught in school. I wish I had this information years ago. Highly recommend this book. It will change your life, if you let it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book, Oct. 28 2013
We bought this book because this is an absolute must-have for any household and we needed some help to get out of our debts. Dave is a life-saver and his book gave us hope. Great book. It arrived in absolutely new condition, the packaging was excellent. The delivery time was within the limits. Thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Financial peace, Nov. 30 2012
James Feenstra (Millgrove, Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews
The best financial advice and guidance one could ask for! The only plan that works. Great book worth every penny...it is the best expense you will ever have.

5.0 out of 5 stars great read!, June 17 2012
If you are a novice about finances books may be you will gonna say nothing new in this book.But for me its a great read,very helpful,i read different books about finances but this is one of the best,it change my perception about money,and i learned a lot from him. I also recommend Gail Vaz- Oxlade books,all of it are good too its hard to put it down.

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey (Hardcover - Dec 29 2009)
Used & New from: CDN$ 7.35