5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff.
I must admit, I was pretty cautious when I first picked up Dave Ramsey's book The Total Money Makeover. It's not a particularly threatening book - it's just that the cover has a similar effect to receiving an unsolicited sales email. There is a picture of him staring into the camera with an all-knowing gaze. Everything is green and red and gold ' money, money, money. The...
Published on Jan. 15 2012 by Ken Francis

3.0 out of 5 stars Sigh... her we go again.
I was fairly critical of Ramsey's first book Financial Peace, stating in my review of that title that Mary Hunt's DEBT PROOF LIVING was better. I said Dave is good at inspiring you and has great ideas for getting out of debt, but Hunt does a much better job of HOW to do it. So, as a Dave Ramsey radio listener, I was excited to hear him say that this one gives us the...
Published on Jan. 23 2004 by storypage

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read! Awesome book!, July 8 2004
Drew Kuespert (Fremont, IN (by Michigan & Ohio)) - See all my reviews
I'd never heard of Dave Ramsey until about 6 months ago when my mentor suggested I read his book. I found out later that he also had a radio show. I know, I know...I live under a rock. :) (We don't have a local affiliate where I live that carries his show.)
Anyway, this book gets you to think, which is the most important thing that it does. Does it give all of the most intricate details? Not always, but it doesn't need to. If you can't make your mortgage payment this month and don't have food on the table, do you really care about the intricacies of the ROI of a particular mutual fund? Hell, no!
The most important thing this book does is give you belief. He MAKES the reader analyze their situation and does a darn good job of it. The stories of success written by Dave's faithful listeners are what solidifies this book, not just Dave's messages. I know I would not be as read to commit to fixing my own problems if it wasn't for these stories. They are key...injections of belief.
God Bless Dave Ramsey and his audience for this great read. I'm re-working our budget right now! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars IT GIVES HOPE!!!!, Sept. 19 2003
Mr. Ramsey has 'mixed it up a bit'. The straight forward way he presents this book keeps even the shortest of attention spans enthralled. Even the "Stupid Math" and "Myths" get you 'pumped up'. The greatest advantage to this book in contrast to the Revisited is that it offers REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE. This in-turn, give more REAL HOPE FOR LIFE! This isn't a book that just sits on the shelf. It's marked up, loaned out, and unlike most financial books READ!!! For some, you have to beat them over the head with the simplest of concepts. That is why he is on the air day after day, yes, after day. He is giving the same information but some still don't get it. There is always that one chance that one person will pick up this particular book or turn on the show....for the first time. You've just got to be brave enough to take that first step, "live like no one else..."

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, July 5 2011
Becky Taylor (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness (Hardcover)
Total Money Makeover is a great book for people to follow to get out of debt and get saving. I bought one for each of my children as did my sisterinlaw.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting The Book is Money Well Spent - Ramsey is the Dr. Phil of Personal Finance, May 30 2011
Jeremy Choi (Canada) - See all my reviews
Occasionally for work, I travel around the city and have the opportunity to hear the Dave Ramsey Show on the radio. I have always appreciated his no-nonsense, sometimes very blunt and straight-forward responses to people who call in to his show with money questions, so I thought that I would purchase his book. I am so glad that I did. I should mention at the outset that this book is essential for the married couple who may occasionally or regularly argue about money and finances. My wife and I both read this and while we have read many personal finance books, this one really moved us to create a budget and start looking at our debts, and even though we don't have that much debt, the process to get rid of it is very helpful.

As Ramsey says, none of the ideas in his book are new and revolutionary, much of it is common sense, but it is compiled with many, many real life personal examples and illustrations which drive points home. As expected, he is against credit card usage in any way, and part of the getting out of debt plan is to have a means of forced savings and also creating a budget. None of this is new. However, the way he puts all this together in an easy to follow plan with timelines, is extremely helpful for those who understand the principles but are not sure where to begin. As a result of this book, my wife and I are able to discuss finances much more openly and collaboratively and we have implemented Ramsey's plan and I can tell you, it is like night and day, once you start following the plan.

Further, his discussions about cars and how to buy cars / avoiding leasing, etc., as well as his chapters on college tuition and retirement are helpful, interspersed with regular steps on avoiding getting into debt in the process. Several of his examples made me chuckle and his frankness really helped to underscore the need to start acting on his plan NOW.

My only point of irritation in his book (and this is not isolated to his book) is in the chapter(s) on investing and planning for future retirement. While he indicates that traditionally the stock market has returned 12% on investment (which seems a bit high as most books will assume 8% return), his focus on both the power of compound interest and using mutual funds to make money, does not contain all the information needed, particularly for a novice or new investor. He, and other investing folks, need to mention that compound interest on mutual funds only occurs if the mutual fund pays out a dividend/distribution, and most of them do not. So the numerical growth charts can be a bit misleading.

Overall though, this book was one of the best values I have received from my Amazon.ca purchases. I have already bought a couple more of Ramsey's books and look forward to reading them.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works!! We Tested It!!, June 11 2004
There are so many books on being financially set that you wonder if there can be another book that has the right principles. Almost like all those diet books out there.
I needed some help and knew of 10 other families in need of help also. So we gathered together and did a course of study using this book as our main textbook. The results???
EVERY family is doing much better financially 4 months after completion of our studies. I am referring to 10 different families with 10 different backgrounds!!!
My statement is that if it can work for this group there is no reason why it cannot work for you. The principles are simple to understand and therefore to follow. The key is learning how to really do a monthly budget with enough room to flow without choking through the month.
IT WORKS!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Get Back On The Right Track Financially, June 2 2004
This book can definitely change lives. Dave Ramsey provides a step by step "real life" approach to tackling your financial woes. I can't say enough good things about this book.
Are you sick of living paycheck to paycheck?
Are you tired of worrying about your retirement funds?
Are you in a financial mess?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you need Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover". It is a great read. It has helped my family immensely; though we need to concentrate a little more in certain areas.
This book can teach you how to become debt-free in three to four years of sincere effort.
Well, what are you waiting for? Click the "BUY" button. It may be the best move you've ever made.
See ya next review.
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is truly a life-changing book., April 22 2004
Robert Wynkoop (Washington State) - See all my reviews
Wow! What a life-changing book. Dave Ramsey hit the nail right on the head. Getting out of debt and building wealth requires more than knowledge of what we need to do with our money, it requires agreement between husband and wife, and the determination to change.
If you have not purchased this book, I would suggest you buy it first in the audio form. My wife and I listened to it while driving the 45 mile trip to Lewiston, Idaho to purchase groceries. Not only was it good entertainment, but it brought us to agreement for the first time in over thirty years of marriage on how to handle our money. Yes, even preachers and their wives can argue over money, only that we call it intense fellowship rather than an argument.
Although I have immense respect for the late Larry Burkett, Dave Ramsey is a whole lot easier to listen to. Dave provides the motivation and the empathy that Mr. Burkett did not. I almost laughed until tears came welling out of my eyes as Dave told of his desperate attempts to keep his Jaguar despite going bankrupt. Dave mantra-If you live like nobody else, you will get to live like nobody else, got me to thinking about our spending decisions. It was sobering. My wife and I now write a monthly budget and are planning to be completely out of consumer debt within eighteen months. It will not be easy but we are determined that we are going to achieve the freedom that Christ desires for us. How in the world, can anybody be truly free in Christ, when they owe money to VISA and GMAC?
Any complaints? Yeah, I got one. I have yet to be convinced of his argument that a Debit Card is just as safe as a credit card. I often listen to consumer advocate Clark Howard on the radio, and he warns his audience almost daily on the dangers of these fake Visa Cards. Listeners call up and tell nightmare stories of being defrauded by unethical merchants or having their checking accounts drained by thieves and taking weeks, if not months to get their money back if they got their money back at all. I then asked my local banker if they would restore funds in my checking account if I were defrauded with my Debit Card and how many days that would take. My bankers reply shocked me. Not only would it take ten days to restore my funds, but if the thief got a hold of my pin number to drain my checking account the bank would assume no responsibility to restore my funds. Even if my pin number was locked in a safe at home and the thieves broke into my home, dynamited my safe and stole my pin number. Why? Because we are supposed to have that number memorized and not written down. Sorry Dave, I am going to follow Clarks advice on this one.
By the way, I am working intensely with my young families in the church trying to get each of them to do a total money makeover. They will retire wealthy if they follow through on Daves advice. This is truly a life-changing book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Points, Direct and I figure a lot won't like it., April 4 2004
R. Scott (Cazenovia, NY) - See all my reviews
I never heard of Mr.Ramsey before. I found this book at the library and read it. It is a quick read once you decide to skip all the testimonials. He makes sense and good points. He tells you its your problem and he gives you a plan you can follow or not. His plan I think follows a path that makes you determined and helps you see progress.
Example: eliminating the credit cards from lowest to highest. This goes against common thought. But as he says. You wipe it out and put that money on the next and down the line. Seeing it happen is a help aid as well as good sense. Looking at what interest rates and all that stuff is plain dumb. Overcomplicates it if you ask me. But we are told that is what we need to do (I recall some finance clown saying Debt is necessary. Totally unbelievable). Take it from me. Doing from the interest angle or from highest to lowest don't work. I have never seen it work. You need more money to make the big money go away. Take if from the smaller payments. Simple math.
Debt ruins lives and marriages and families. Its a bad thing and we all know it. Kinda like being told smoking is really bad for you, we all know it, known it a long time, but people still do it.
Mr. Ramsey does a very in your face thing. He preaches,money saving, simple investing techniques and, when its all done, charity, he preaches good will, he shows that money is not for money's sake. That is unusual in a finance book.
I am going to try his methods. On paper it looks like it will work. So far. I got nothing to lose except debt.
For the record:I have even spoken to a debt free person who used his methods. He made a good point. "Ramsey wrote the book, I'm the one that lost the debt on my own."

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M DEBT FREEEEEEEEEEE!!!!, March 29 2004
By A Customer
I highly recommand this book to anyone wanting a simple plan to get out of debt and some common sense advice to go along with it. I wish I had this book when I was 22. I would probably have a million by now. What makes this book so motivating is that he has real life experience. His last name is not Kennedy or Rockafellar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nay sayers don't get it., March 27 2004
I have just finished the book and reading the reviews posted to date. The book is wonderful and provides the reader with a simple tool set to eliminate debt and build wealth. The book and the radio program are more importantly, MOTIVATIONAL.
We all know it's important to visit the dentist, but who wants to?
I take exception to those who criticise dave for "selling" and offering simple and sometimes misleading advice.
At least Dave is earning a living by helping others, can we all say the same?
Also paying off a low interest loan before a higher interest loan, while not mathematically correct, is motivational and helps to get the "snowball" rolling.
Motivation and simplicity is of value. This book is a tremendous tool that will better your life if the steps are followed.
For the "elites" who consider this book a lot of fluff, you have missed the point.
For those who want a chance at a better life for them and their family, buy this book now.
Oh yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've heard Dave offer free products and services to those in true need. Dave Ramsey is either the best actor on the radio, or a person who truly has a mission in life to help others. I choose to believe the latter.
And for the "Elites" out there, If you are so savy that you can condem this book and the motives of the author, why did you by the book?
Joe

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb8e00a80)

The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness by Dave Ramsey (Hardcover - Dec 29 2009)
Used & New from: CDN$ 10.26