5.0 out of 5 stars A story that truly inspires
Published on Jan. 19 2011 by Book Beasely

3.0 out of 5 stars A great fulfillment, a sad disappointment -
Fans of Charles de Lint's voluminous stories of Newford all know and love Jilly Coppercorn. Here, at last, is a novel about Jilly. I was so excited, I scraped together some emergency money and bought it in hardback! A great fulfillment for all of us true blue fans, to learn more and spend time with this charming, magical artist and Friend to All.
Its okay that some...
Published on Feb. 29 2004 by EmBee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A story that truly inspires, Jan. 19 2011
Book Beasely (Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Hardcover)
If you're a devoted Charles de Lint fan and you truly care for the fantastic, fun character that is Jilly Coppercorn then I don't expect you to walk away with disappointment. This book is absolutely heart-wrenching and beautiful. All of the characters in this story have something to offer and they read and feel like old friends. This novel pulls you out of your daily trance and slaps you in the face with its magnitude of magical charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, June 2 2006
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Paperback)
The Onion Girl was my first Delint book I read, and I enjoyed it emmensly.

Jilly was written wonderfully, and the writing gave cause to the reader to start looking around for their own "magic" in the city. It was a lovely book of which I am one of the many proud owners of.

(It also helped that the author was local as well)

5.0 out of 5 stars A personal favorite!, March 1 2004
Shannon Haskins "Kirei Rakuen" (Coupeville, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Paperback)
I stumbled across this book in my local library, and it was the title that caught my attention more than anything. Charles de Lint is a new author to me, and with his writing has opened up a whole new world of magick and intrigue.
Our tale begins in Newford with the main character, Jilly Coppercorn, becoming a victim of a hit-and-run. Lying in a hospital bed, confused and paralyzed, she escapes to the world of dreams. "The Onion Girl" takes you on one hell of a ride, as it's told from the eyes of Jilly, and her younger sister, Raylene. Having run away from a life of abuse and pain at a young age, and leaving Raylene to suffer as she once did, Jilly begins to regret not going back now that Raylene has resurfaced in her life.
Two sisters - one dream world. One doesn't want to share it, and is determined to go to extremes to ensure that it belongs to her alone. The other just wants to know the baby sister she left behind.
Charles de Lint has done an amazing job with "The Onion Girl," and it is a favorite of mine due to the way he writes, and describes things. Things get slow here and there, but the intensity of Jilly's story makes it worth the slow spots. Definitely worth 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great fulfillment, a sad disappointment -, Feb. 29 2004
EmBee (Oregon, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Paperback)
Its okay that some bad things happen to Jilly - she's a survivor, after all, and some great things happen to her, too. But the sudden apperance of a long-lost sister with a monster grudge is a little... convenient, isn't it? This wholly new side to Jilly's story leaves the reader feeling just a little jerked around.
The novel's a bit schizophrenic, too, the way we vault back and forth between the disconnected sisters, and forward and backward and sideways in time. Then, when at last the story is twined together, it... kinda sucks.
If you're a de Lint fan, and a fan of Newford, you really shouldn't miss this book. Everybody in Newford is affected by what affects Jilly, and so everyone's story is advanced and changed by this book. Just don't expect one of his best, or you're in for a sad disappointment.
If you're new to the Charles de Lint oevre, please don't start with Onion Girl. Really, he's written much, much better stuff. Try Forests of the Heart for a fantastic novel also set in Newford, or dive in to his short story collection, starting with Dreams Underfoot.

4.0 out of 5 stars If You Know Newford..., Sept. 4 2003
wysewomon "wysewomon" (Paonia, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Paperback)
In _The Onion Girl_, Newford artist Jilly Coppercorn suffers a devastating personal tragedy that forces her to re-evaluate her life and face things in her past that she'd rather not. As she is virtually the glue that holds Newford together, she is aided by a mind-boggling cast of characters, both this-worldly and otherworldly.
I loved this book and couldn't put it down, but I ended up having mixed feelings about it when I was done. On the one hand, DeLint's writing was a beautiful as ever, his depictions of the joys and terrors of the Otherworld as richly realised, his characters as real and his forthright pictures of some very ugly human experiences as affecting.
On the other hand, there are certain things I found a bit off. The cast of characters is SO enormous -- at times it seems that everyone who's ever appeared in a Newford story shows up at some time or another -- that it's a little hard to keep track of; I certainly wouldn't recommend reading this book unless you've at least read one or two of DeLint's short story anthologies. Towards the end, the message got just a little overbearing. At the same time, I didn't like the implication that only magic could really heal Jilly; I would have liked to see her take some real world steps to deal with her baggage. Maybe deciding to get therapy isn't magical, but I really think she could use it.
I did like that everything between Jilly and her "nemesis" wasn't completely resolved and that there was still some tension between them at the end. I also liked the fact that this ending wasn't a happy-ever-after kind of thing--that people underwent irreversable changes.
I didn't like that one character who could have been really interesting seemed to exist merely to deliver a heavy-handed message about standing up to bullies, which I think the book delivered effectively elsewhere. It seemed a waste of a character and brought up certain questions that were not answered to my satisfaction.
Probably if you're a DeLint fan already you'll like this book. If you haven't read anything by this fine writer, don't start here or you'll be lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars i couldn't put it down, Feb. 25 2003
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Hardcover)
if you have read forests of the heart you'll love this. i had walked by it for months and kept picking it up thinking about buying it so finally I did. and I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jilly's Story...Get a box of Kleenex, Jan. 16 2003
Geek Savant "Justine Greene" (Orlando, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Hardcover)
Finally, Mr. DeLint shared Jilly's story. I have been reading his books for many years, and I have come to dearly love Jilly Coppercorn. It was a treasure to read her story. It was also heartbreaking. It is not an easy story. Jilly is not always the wonderful, wonderous person full of grace that you may have come to know through prior stories. Now we know what shadows her smile, sometimes, or holds her back with some people. She becomes less & more all at once, because she becomes more human. It is a story about coming to know your own secrets, your own mistakes and moving on...Pethaps one of the best pieces of magic we can learn.
This may be the best, yet...I can not wait to see what happens, next.

5.0 out of 5 stars New fantasy fan falls for DeLint!, Jan. 8 2003
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Hardcover)
I stumbled upon Charles DeLint's "The Onion Girl" while doing some research on fantasy books for a college project. Being new to the genre, and reluctant to read fantasy, I had no idea what to read. The book's title and the cover art by John Jude Palencar enticed me, and once I started the book, I could not put it down.
The story's main character, Jilly Coppercorn, is struggling to heal from an accident. The circumstances that lead to her accident are shrouded in mystery, leaving her to find the clues and piece them together, a difficult task when one's bones are broken. Lying in her hospital bed, she learns to "cross over" into another world she has only heard of. Jilly experiences a catharsis as a result of her other wordly adventures, and she makes a surprising choice that heals her body and soul.
DeLint's prose is inspiring, as his descriptions make the natural supernatural, and the extraordinary accessible to us mere mortals. His blend of urban streets, the wilderness, and dreamscape create a seamless trip through dimensions. The characters are quite likeable, and are varied in personality, from policeman to artist to shapeshifter.
"The Onion Girl" quieted any preconceptions I had about fantasy writing, and I would recommend this book highly to those who are curious about the genre, but don't know where to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars new to De Lint... and loved the book, Dec 29 2002
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Paperback)
I like fantasy literature, and I definitely liked this book, which I received for Christmas. I'm going to look for Charles De Lint next time I'm at the library or the bookstore. I like the idea of there being hidden magic in the ordinary world, visible to those who know how to look.
It's true this story dealt with unsettling material -- if it were a TV show it would probably be meant for "mature audiences." And I can definitely see how it would be upsetting for survivors of abuse. But I personally had no problem with it.
Interestingly, I read Neil Gaiman's _American Gods_ right before I read _The Onion Girl_, and the two have a minor character in common.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goth Newford, Aug. 9 2002
K. B. Brown "Renaissance woman" (Sierra Madre, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Onion Girl (Paperback)
While not my favorite of Charles deLint's books, I enjoyed this very much. I especially liked the relationship between the sisters, as it parallels the troubles that my sister and I have gone through... be advised that this is one of deLint's darkest books and is probably not the one with which to start if you haven't read deLint before.... he remains one of my absolute favorite writers.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb8c53bdc)

The Onion Girl
The Onion Girl by Charles de Lint (Hardcover - April 1 2009)
CDN$ 82.10 CDN$ 75.84
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available