Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Cycling Tools

Think and Grow Rich
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$27.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 28 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
Books on similar subjects appear to arrive several at a time. In addition to this particular work, I have another three all with the word `Millionaire' in the title (two very different works both called "How to think like a Millionaire" and one called "Secrets of the Millionaire Mind). No!, they do not show you how to go out and win the lottery or obtain the secret of some other get-rich-quick scheme. If they did, I would describe them all as rubbish and demand a refund from the publisher.

Leaving those other works aside, this book shows you how to look after and make the most of what you have. My father always used to decry the fact that "money always goes to money." Of course, if you have a lot and are getting a decent rate of interest, then, of course, it does. But I also remember a young married soldier from many years ago who owned a very up-market car, a nice towing caravan, a small removals lorry and had the finest furniture in his married quarter. Those vehicles were for rent and his fellow soldiers (and officers) made the most of them. I remember him very clearly because everything he achieved was both legal and on an under-paid private soldier's wage and he owed no money to anyone. His secret was in making extra money and looking after all his income with the greatest care.

And that is what this book is all about. It requires the reader to adopt a very different attitude towards money and expenditure and it works. Or at least it can - if you are prepared to learn the lessons and put them in to practise.

And I wish you well.

NM
on June 5, 2010
This is a great book. I have the beautiful leather bound book original.
This is an old book but convey the same message. I find the book is too wordy and the reference is mainly for American audience so for some of us who are not american, do not relate to the american's president. However, Napoleon is trying to share the success by 500 men who were not born with silver spoons but the will and determination.

If I have to choose between this book and the book by David Schwartz "The Magic of Thinking Big", I believe you get the point across faster by reading David's book than Napoleon.

Comment: Great book but Too wordy and because it is an old book, take it with a grain of salt as we are living in technology / fast life style....
on December 3, 2003
initially I gave this book one star because it was ten years ago when I read it and I did not understand the language .then, I gave it two stars because I browsed through it and saw how significant this book was. Now for my final assessment after rereading it. WOW! After years of rereading soul searching and the like. I see why this book is very much a book I should've been reading religiously. Unfortunately for me I had to learn the hard way. If you can keep an open mind and read through this whole book, Napoleon clarifies things that you might not understand. If you follow every suggestion this book will help you in every area of your life. I can only imagine if I understood this book ten years ago where I would be today. Of course I would've have needed to form a study group back then. This book is timelesss. My suggestion is read this book with your life and study it to the core.
The bad thing about this book is it is a boring read,like that "other" book. Also,it should have had an intro on motivation so, that the reader can get a better understanding of what he/she is getting into. Another thing that the book could use is a subject on time management,what it is, and what it is not.
Side note:When I first started on my path I had noone to share my thoughts with so, I went at it alone this was difficutlt.If you are young like I was maybe you want to download this book for free on some sites so you can test to see if it is for you. If you decide to buy get the action pack version.
on October 22, 2003
Having a passion, being persistent, and sticking with a goal in spite of difficulties is the theme of this influential book. The first chapter discusses the significance of one's thought's in attaining one's dreams.
Its message came be summed up in a sentence that is highlighted by the author, "Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe it can achieve" (p. 32).
A logical progression of this initial theme is found in the second chapter as he talks about desire.
In the third chapter he writes, "The emotions of faith, love, and sex are the most powerful of all the major positive emotions" (p. 49). He goes on to describe faith as a "state of mind which may be induced, or created, by affirmation or repeated instructions to the subconscious mind, through the principle of autosuggestion" (p. 50).
He stresses the importance of coupling emotions with desires and thoughts.
In stimulating the subconscious mind, he says belief or faith determines the action of the subconscious.
Other parts of the book talk about the importance of working well with other people. Leaders encourage, they don't intimidate.
Good advice is given when he tells his readers to do an annual review of their lives.
His chapter on the "master mind" is bogus. It's way off base, out in left field.
I'm also concerned about the list of nine men who have been most influential in his life. None of those would be on my list, with the exception of perhaps Edison.
Taken cautiously, there's some good advice in this book and there is more wheat than chaff in here. Just don't take everything he says. Use discrimination.
on April 23, 2003
Successful people, according to the author, have harnessed the power of thought. This book gives several examples of outstanding people making their thoughts a reality, including the example of the author's son who, being born deaf, learns to hear because of his great desire to do so. It was not an easy journey for the boy, but his father helped instill in him this desire and he wouldn't stop until he realized it. Probabably most of you have strongly desired something and someone told you it was impossible, yet you achieved what you were told you couldn't. This book is about that, but about more, besides. There are parts of this book that seemed geared more for men than for women, however, and I also found that this book was not as clear to me as The Power of Your Subconscious Mind by Dr. Joseph Murphy (try to get the unrevised edition, if you're interested.) Still, this book is worth reading. Just don't read it and stop there. Get some other books as well to help you understand how to apply the principals of faith. (Every religion always tells you to have it, but in practical layman's terms, many religions do not explain how.)
on January 15, 2003
My first impression of Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill, was that it was nearly "shouting" at you to get you to believe his message and adopt a positive thinking program. The thing is, Napoleon Hill was right. If you choose to think positive thoughts consistently, you will experience positive results.
He certainly isn't the first person in history to expound on the worthiness of positive thinking, but Napoleon Hill was certainly one of the first Americans to really focus on this as a formula to apply to business applications for wealth building. It works. It's that simple. Another book that has recently come to my attention about a positive mental attitude, applied for financial gain, is The One Minute Guide to Prosperity and Enlightenment, by Sri Siva. This book is unusual because it combines Eastern practices with Western practicality to forge a program that is off-the-beaten-path but effective. It's interesting to read about a new approach with a "twist," because you never know what will work for you. So why not try something different?
on January 12, 2003
When I first read Think and Grow Rich, by Napoleon Hill, I was a little "put off" by the flourish of capitalization. By the LOOK of the text, you'd think you were reading a sales brochure. However, the sheer enthusiasm and positive mental attitude of Napoleon Hill won me over - despite my mistrust of capitalization.
His message is truly timeless. What you think becomes your reality. If you think you are a success, you WILL be a success. The stories and writing style may be a little dated, but his message is not. What you think about is what you become. I have found this book a good companion to recent book about being positive and creatively and actively achieving spiritual and material success (I like to focus on both, personally) - The One Minute Guide to Prosperity and Enlightenment, by Sri Siva (an Indian mystic and scholar). What makes Sri Siva's book really interesting is the use of certain "tools" (sacred ash, prayer beads, ancient rituals, sacred sounds, etc.), which combined with a positive mental attitude, makes for very powerful results, both in terms of mental clarity as well as tangible material results.
Ultimately what I found so useful in these books was the reinforcement of this timeless truth - it is always a good idea to focus on BEING positive!
on January 2, 2003
According to the author, deep inside everyone of us is a Sixth Sense that holds the knowledge of obtaining whatever we want, but first we must master basic principles to help us tap into this knowledge.
These principles are also necessary in the author's formula for success: create a burning DESIRE backed with a definite PLAN, PERSISTENCE, and a POSITIVE attitude with SUPPORT from others.
Creating a definite plan is usually the toughest part, but this may be delivered to us by our Sixth Sense if we create a buring desire through the use of Autosuggestion, repetition of thoughts mixed with emotion. I know not the Sixth Sense, but I do know that if I focus on something strongly, I often see things related to what I'm focusing on. For instance, if I buy a convertible of a certain make, I will start noticing every convertible of this make passing by or parked on the street! Likewise, if you concentrate only on your desire to be rich, you will start seeing things that will enable you to be rich. I have read in another book that the secret of haves and have-nots is one thing: the ability to "see it". I did not know what this meant when I read that book, but after reading this book, I fully understand. Applying Autosuggestion, I will be more prepared and thus have the ability to "see it".
Nothing should be overlooked in this book. For instance, the principle of persistance occupy a whole chapter, but how many people actually apply it to their lives? For me, I find this principle somewhat tricky because how would I know if I'm making a big mistake and should just stop or I should just keep trying and eventually it will work out? I guess this is when the Sixth Sense will tell me.
Among interesting ideas are that successful people make decisions quickly and change them slowly. Unsuccessful people make decisions slowly and change them quickly and often. Probably the most interesting idea is found in the chapter on sex transmutation. According to this chapter, pretty much everything man do is to please women. At first glance, I can't believe what I'm reading. But then it goes on to say that because of this fact, a woman can make or break a man, in other words, she's the boss (ie. Hillary Clinton, Your Wife!). Scary thought. But the author reassures you that this is a good thing because you can harness this power (to please women) as a driving force for your success.
It's really hard to summarize this book in a few words. That is why I only gave it four stars. The writing is not concise, somewhat unfocused, and sometimes contradicting. If there is anything to remember from this book, it's this: you have the power to get whatever you want by controlling your thoughts. If you think you will get it, you will. If you think you will fail, you will fail.
on January 1, 2002
This is it. This is the one that everyone points to as being the "classic" for how to create the income you want. Is it true? Yes. It's been proven too many times by too many people to be a coincidence. In my own life, I bought a copy at the recommendation of a doctor. I read the entire book and didn't "get it". Not to be deterred, I started over again. When "the secret" hit me, it was like walking into a dark room and turning on the light. Within 90 days, I'd quit my job and had my own business and within six months I'd doubled my income. Yes, it works. The manner of writing is a bit antiquated which is to be expected from a manuscript from the early 20th century. There are other books that I could recommend for similiar information and would be glad to if you'd like to email me - however, it would serve no purpose here in THIS review. Bottom line: get this book.
on April 25, 2003
This book is is an example of suboptimal positive thinking. Hill's concepts are valuable because he understands that we become what we think about. But Hill uses the old paradigm of positive thinking which has many shortcomings. Nowadays, positive thinking has been superceded by Optimal Thinking. People and organizations who seek the best results (optimal thinking) are no longer willing to settle for good and great results (Suboptimal positive thinking). If you want to
optimize your success (not just improve it) you have to read "Optimal Thinking: How to be your best self." You learn how to to be your best in every situation and bring out the best from others and achieve the best possible results. You discover that positive thinking is often no more than wishful thinking. Needless to say, there are many good insights in Think and Grow Rich which you should not overlook.