Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

on August 24, 2009
Faceted Search

Faceted Search by Daniel Tunkelang is a wonderful introduction to the topic and a must read for any executive, IT staffer or student trying to decide whether to implement and deploy a faceted search engine (versus) (or in addition to) deploying a "traditional" search engine.

While the book is serious education on the subject of Faceted Search it is very approachable and without question engaging. It is easy to see this book was written by one of the leading experts in the field.

Parts 1 and 2 are designed to give the reader a good grounding in the area of faceted search including pointers to a number of academic and commercial examples to give the reader concrete deployments to reference and in the case of academic work some projects have source available (from the project site not Daniel's) to experiment with.

Part 3 dives a little deeper into some of the challenges a faceted search deployment can present.

I think what I liked most about the book is it's an approachable overview of faceted search, showing the benefits of the method but also not leaving out or sugar-coating the challenges.

I would highly recommend this book to people interested in a strong grounding in the faceted search area.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2010
I wasn't sure what to expect when I ordered this book. I knew very little about the subject and I was doing research for an application I'm designing. I was happy enough with it to post my first review. I found the book very readable, wonderfully up-to-date, and full of concrete examples. The language wasn't dense at all and the images were helpful. The author obviously has a lot more knowledge to impart, and the book isn't very long, but I think any more information would have made the book less accessible. As it is, it's a great, meaty introduction to the subject and I finished it feeling very capable of directing the next steps of my learning about the topic.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse