5.0 out of 5 stars Tough to put down!
I have to say that this book took me a little longer than it normally would take me. But that's the good thing about this book. If you take the time to absorb the message, it will be more than worth your valued time.

Published on March 7 2004 by Wolfe Moffat

3.0 out of 5 stars Overly simplistic, but generally true..
Published on June 9 2004 by Peter LaPrade

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough to put down!, March 7 2004
Wolfe Moffat (Franklinville, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)

I was taken on a journey through the eyes of journalist, Jake Woods, who investigates the death of his two friends. It describes the relationship between Finney, who cares enough about his friends to correct them and try to guide them in the right direction, and then there's Doc, who only cares about himself and lives for himself. Jake has to decide what is real for him, and he has to go through some trial in his life to do this. I think it's awesome how Alcorn describes that in Heaven there's always someone watching out for you and someone who desires to fight for you at your greatest moment of need, at least that's what I got out of this. He gives an awesome reality of our Heavenly Father, and also leaves the reader with a desire to live for God.

Deadline is a great book with some really powerful twists. One other person said that if you can just take your time through this book, it is well worth it. That is so true, and I'm looking forward to reading Randy Alcorn in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tough to put down, March 18 2011
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)
I really enjoyed the story as well as the message that went along with it. I found it difficult to put down and even brought it to work with me to read over lunch!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hits News Media Right on the Mark, Jan. 23 2011
Lyn McInnes (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)
This novel has many threads but the most gripping one for me was not the solving of the murders but the accurate portrayal of how journalists work in today's media. This is a must-read for all those people who still mistakenly believe that today's journalism is objective and unbiased and actually tries to be fair in dealing with controversial issues. Mr. Alcorn's ideas about heaven were new to me and made heaven sound more appealing than any other descriptions that I have ever read, but of course, this is pretty much theory as we know for certain quite little about what it will be like.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Of The BEST Fiction Books I Have Read, Feb. 5 2005
Victoria Lechler "torial" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)
I agree with the reviewer that said this book is not for the politically correct, it isn't. This book does show some of the realities of our world however. The mystery plot was pretty easy to figure out but the depth of the other issues kept the book interesting. I appreciated someone talking about what the media is really like.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overly simplistic, but generally true.., June 9 2004
Peter LaPrade (worcester ma) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)
I came into reading "Deadline" knowing that it was Christian fiction, so I did expect the possiblity that the author could be dogmatic. Reading Alcorn's work, there is some dogma attached, which seems to indicate that he didn't think it through enough, or he let his own bias get in the way of the truth. Anyway, Alcorn paints a picture of a liberal journalist surviving a car "accident" that killed his two best friends, Dr. Greg Lowell and Finnegan "Finney" Keels. As you expect, Doc and Finney had opposite views of Christianity, and Alcorn depicts their respective fates as according to Scripture. This is the true part. The false because they are misleadly simple areas are the author's abortion scenarios(a morally complicated problem in reality) which boil down to "in every case, a mother must give birth to a living child". This ignores the complex nature of the debate, which I won't discuss here. Also, the author has a "homosexuals are free to change" approach that doesn't work out well in reality. Alcorn does get some journalistic ethos right, and I admire his honesty about that, but he paints liberals with a broadbrush(Jimmy Carter, a DEMOCRAT, is a very godly man, despite what the author may think) that is factually inaccurate. The book only musters 3 stars, because while the action is great, the story is overly preachy, and makes weak arguments.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that makes you think, May 20 2004
Lorraine Fuller "Book mom" (Central, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)
This book is not for the politically correct! It makes you think about issues that many of us try not to think about, but it presents them wrapped in an engrossing story. I loved the book so much I ran right out to buy the next one. The views of heaven have changed my whole perspective about it. I highly reccomend this book to anyone who is not afraid to buck the political correctness of our world.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIFE CHANGING BOOK, Nov. 22 2003
Charlotte "gotshakespeare" (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)
This book makes you think. It's about three men who have grown up together and are friends... there's a tragic accident killing two of them, leaving the third to look at the affects that the loss of the two friends have left... each totally different. Finney, a christian, left a wife strong in her faith, godly children, and a reputation for honor and truth. Doc left numerous difficulties, a almost broken marriage and family. Jake learns from both examples through a continually moving book, page turning events, and amazingly deep truth. Be ready to read this book... It is another great one from Randy Alcorn.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 28 2003
Alan Attebery (Arlington, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)
I first became aware of Randy Alcorn through his tremendous fiction book "Lord Foulgrin's Letters" (another "must have" book). When it came time for me to buy some more Christian fiction books, "Deadline" was one of the first ones I bought.
"Deadline" is like no Christian book I have ever read. Instead of just telling us a fictional story about fictional characters, Randy Alcorn has also included a glimpse into what scripture says Heaven will be like (yes, the scenes themselves are ficitonal in nature, but they are based on scriptures). Instead of waiting until the end of the book to share a few words about God to the readers, Randy Alcorn has incorporated the sermon into the story. While this will turn a lot of readers off, it makes for a very engrossing story.
If you like Christian fiction books that will challenge you to think, then this is a great book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tackles all of the hard stuff inside an intriguing mystery, July 27 2003
Clare Chu (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)
Jake Woods, liberal columnist and agnostic goes out on a short jaunt to pick up pizza with his best friends, Doc and Finney. On the way back, they crash and Jake finds himself suspended between two friends, and between two destinies. Doc, the "I'll Do it My Way" Guy and Finney, the man submitted to God. This storyline takes Jake from the ICU where he says good-bye to Finney, to an investigation into the shadowy worlds where right and wrong are relative and no one knows anything for a certainty, with human rationalization as the ultimate standard for behavior. The reader is pulled along from the earth, to the glorious raptures of Heaven to the despair of Hell, along with Jake as he searches for the truth and tries to find meaning in a shifting morass of values. In the process he has to face some pretty unsavory things about himself, and tragic consequences of choices and philosophies that he adhered to.
Inside the story, the author has several deep messages for his readers and he doesn't pull any punches. This book tackles just about all of the issues in our society where the guideposts have been lost, and relativism is taken for granted. Abortion, AIDs, media-bias, homosexual bias, political correctness, assisted suicide, organ transplant lists, organized crime, Vietnam, you name it and it is weaved into a monologue or dialogue somewhere in the book. All this is interwoven into a mystery involving some stereotyped characters, some surprising twists, and some awkward relevations. As if that's not enough, there are matters of eternal consequences, like Heaven and Hell to delve into.
There is a very good understanding and exploration of the effects of abortion on men which is usually ignored. And you'll never think about organ donations the same way again. You'll also think twice or thrice about the definition of "dead" after you've read this book.
Highly recommended for teenagers as it gets them to think before acting. Also, a hard-to-put-down book for mystery fans. Finally, if you're at all curious about what life is like in the hereafter (or as far as Mr. Alcorn's imagination can bring you), you'll want to read or debate about his portrayals of Heaven. Definitely a good vacation read, and a book to leave on your coffee table for curious friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I ever read!!!, June 17 2003
T. M. Furr "Easily moved" (Virginia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Deadline (Paperback)
This is definately the best book I ever read. The Bible does not speak to exactly what is going to happen in Heaven or how much of earth people already in Heaven can see, but this book gives examples of what COULD happen, possibly.
I am disabled and in a wheelchair, and at one point in the book, a small boy dies and when he gets to Heaven he says "it doesn't hurt anymore". I cried my eyes out.
I have bought this book for numerous friends and have recommended it to countless strangers.
Besides the Bible, this is the best book I have ever read!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Deadline
Deadline by Randy Alcorn (Audio CD - May 15 2006)
CDN$ 25.49