5.0 out of 5 stars Thought-provoking. Life-altering. So genuinely human., July 24 2009
meghanlinn (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: Life Is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally (Paperback)
I am the group moderator for a women's motivation circle, and consequently am a voracious reader of books I hope will 'kick-start' each of us in our group into our next stage of personal development.

I was overwhelmed by Patti Digh's honest, sometimes raw, usually witty and humourous, and always powerful essays. This is not a how-to book, although with her clear and helpful exercises at the end of each essay, you could read it as such. She does not tell you, her reader, how to live your life. Instead, she shares her very personal stories and allows you to learn from the insights she herself has earned. The reader takes a gentle and lighthearted journey with her through the essays, and emerges anew at the end.

I could not offer higher praise. This book will sit on my shelf and be re-read many, many times. I will give it as a gift, but never lend it out. Patti invites her readers to use the wide margins to interact with her in the pages, and I believe every person should have the privilege of scribbling their own notes in the margins of their own copy.

Buy this book. Trust me, you will learn something important about yourself, about your loved ones, about your world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously funny, thoughtful, provocative, Sept. 8 2009
When you buy unseen/unknown books from Amazon (or anywhere), it's always a bit of a gamble. Well, this one paid off big time. This is seriously one of the best books of this genre...... no, just one of the best books I have ever owned. The writing is fantastic, the art work is inspiring, the quotes scattered throughout are apt and often unknown to me, and the whole lay-out is fantastic. The essays can be found on her blog (that where the book came from, folks!), but it is definitely worth having this beautiful book in your hands and being about to dip into it at your leisure. Oh, did I mention the poetry? And then there are the ideas to "Wake Up, Be Mindful and Live Intentionally". Even if you do none of them, the writing will inspire you to shift .... I don't believe it would be possible not to. Every time you see a bus, or sit beside someone, or judge someone you don't know, or someone you do know..... everyday things that will shift your perspective. Buy one for yourself, and get a couple of extra to give away. BTW, it comes up when you look at collage type books. It's not that (which is what I was buying), but what a gift for yourself..........

5.0 out of 5 stars Give Yourself a Shake!, April 1 2009
It's part of the title: Wake Up, Be Mindful and Live Intentionally. This book does not set out to change your life, but it does what it promises. Patti Digh (along with her daughters & "Mr. Brilliant") puts herself out there to share her discoveries captured in tiny moments. Short, easy to read stories give you little thoughts to be mindful of. In gently reflecting on the ordinary, she opens the door to personal revelations. I started the book in stolen minutes and finished it when it could not be put down! 37 days quietly asks you to Pay Attention.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect reminder for living life to the fullest, July 3 2010
Elizabeth Scott (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
I believe there are no accidents...and the title of this book jumped out at me. When it first arrived I wasn't so sure it was what I was looking for. But as with all things that show up in my life...timing is everything.

i needed a reminder and I am now devouring this book. It is well written, funny, sad and a perfect reminder for living life to the fullest.
I have recommended it to many friends and am so glad it showed up for me.
Patti Digh is a gifted storyteller and shares intimate moments in her life that remind me of the fabulous moments in mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars My bible!, Oct. 1 2010
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
This book's title jumped out at me on Amazon.com when I was searching for something else. For some reason, my inner voice urged me to order it. I am so glad I did because it was just what was needed. When I first started to read it I wasn't sure but after the first few pages I was hooked! It is funny, and sometimes sad but I am left exhilarated after each reading session. Like the reviewer above, I will never lend it out but will be giving a copy to many of my friends. Thanks so much Patti

4.0 out of 5 stars 37 days to change your life, June 27 2014
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I enjoy Patti Digh's really brief, four-word suggestions in her other book. Brevity becomes her. The lengthier writing in this book doesn't work quite so well for her. There's nothing too much wrong with it, but there are more interesting, more original books out there on similar topics.
The illustrations - yes, I know they are from her readers - vary widely in quality and relevance. Some of them are downright weird and take way from the message of the book.
The layout, with plenty of call-outs and quotes, is attractive and helps the book to be more readable.
As I read this I wondered if the writer was trying to stretch it out to meet a certain word count. Her examples and illustrative stories and anecdotes went on too long with over-much irrelevant detail. The lessons were driven home with a thoroughness that Victorians would be proud of.
This book lacked the freshness of Patti Digh's other writing. It was earnest and well-meant but not easy to relate to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching, Sept. 1 2011
Touching, pertinent, and real, the author's stories and perceptions are right on and meaningful. This book can be read in bits and pieces randomly or carefully chosen.

Life Is a Verb: 37 Days to Wake Up, Be Mindful, and Live Intentionally