4.0 out of 5 stars TOPNOTCH NARRATORS GIVE VOICE TO AN AFFECTING HERO
Get ready, thriller fans, James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge have just introduced a new hero, and what a man he is! Michael Bennett is a NY police detective, the adoptive father of ten, and the husband of Maeve who is dying of cancer. Their Brady bunch family is rounded out by Seamus, Michael's grandfather who is a priest and Mary Catherine, the family's au pair...
Published on Feb. 11 2007 by Gail Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars A movie script not a novel!
Published on Feb. 7 2007 by Joe Grundig

3.0 out of 5 stars A movie script not a novel!, Feb. 7 2007
Joe Grundig "Analyst" (USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step on a Crack (Hardcover)
My wife (who loves James Patterson) brought this book home on Monday and by Wednesday we both have finished reading it, and not because I could not put it down, its just there is not much there (to be fair, my loved the book). This is light weight fluff that is more a movie script than a novel. I had about given up on Patterson, but he brought me back to the table with Mary Mary, which I enjoyed very much. This book is more tear jerker than thriller. The plot's credibility is tissue paper thin, I won't be a spoiler, but it did not hold up to close scrutiny. I can't totally trash the book as I did finish it and it did keep me turning the pages, its worth three stars. If you are looking for something light you can finish in an afternoon, then this will work, but as a best seller?? Doesn't make sense.. If your looking for thrills and a plot that will test you, try the cult classic "Tourist in the Yucatan." best thriller I have read recently.

4.0 out of 5 stars TOPNOTCH NARRATORS GIVE VOICE TO AN AFFECTING HERO, Feb. 11 2007
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Step on a Crack (Audio CD)

Home is where their hearts are and St. Patrick's Cathedral, of all places, is where hell breaks loose. Former First Lady Caroline Hopkins has died quite unexpectedly. She was beloved by all and the list of those attending her funeral at the vaunted cathedral reads like the A-List of politicos, millionaires, sports figures, entertainers - they're all there.

Of course, security is high but that doesn't keep the minions of an evil plotter from holding some of these high profiles hostage. Ransom is demanded and just as the money is being collected a VIP is shot. The mastermind behind this astounding act kills randomly, with impunity.

Michael enters the scene as negotiator, trying to balance outwitting these ruthless men, visiting his wife in the hospital, and keeping on eye on his brood. Half thriller, half three Kleenex listen, Step On A Crack has a socko finish - totally unexpected, quite unnerving.

Tony Award and Drama Desk nominee Reg Rogers and John Slattery bring all to life from the heartless villains to the good guys, young and old. They're well paired as a narrating team with voices that complement as they reflect a range of emotions from tough to tender, frightened to brave.

Expect to hear more adventures in the life of Michael Bennett, he's a likable and affecting hero.

- Gail Cooke

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Bennet, Nov. 27 2013
I have read all but 2 of this series from James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge, I enjoyed the books, a mixture of family and mystery, Michael Bennett has his hands full.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, Nov. 11 2013
I am a new James Patterson fan - started with I, Michael Bennett and loved it so much I went back to start the series at the beginning !

5.0 out of 5 stars James Patterson Books are the BEST, Sept. 23 2013
Francine Martin (St. Pascal Baylon, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Step on a Crack (Paperback)
Love, love, love all JP books (except for the Maximum Ride series, can't stand the MRs)! Glad JP has so many published books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Step on a crack, Feb. 10 2012
jordan brookes (Norquay Sask. Canada) - See all my reviews
love it, can't put it down. I would be a good movie, Actually all Patterson books should be movies, Like Kiss the Girls, I will never get that brilliant book out of my head

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Aug. 20 2014
This review is from: Step on a Crack (Audio CD)
ok works fine

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Nov. 19 2014
Good

4.0 out of 5 stars My first time, March 16 2007
This review is from: Step on a Crack (Hardcover)
I'm not normally one to follow the pack, choosing instead, well after the time has passed, books that have stood the test of time. Books such as MIDDLESEX or ME TALK PRETTY ONE DAY by Sedaris. Instead, I was given STEP ON A CRACK by a friend and actually read it. Glad I did. No, Patterson is not going to be nominated for a Pulitzer anytime soon, but the story moved along nicely and the plot made sense (something that doesn't always happen in books I read, especially the ones with more "modern" themes.

Can't go wrong with this for a quick, no-brainer. I recommend it as a break from heavier literature.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Patterson, March 10 2007
This review is from: Step on a Crack (Hardcover)
I love Patterson's Alex Cross series. But here is another surprise -- Michael Bennett!!!! The new character is is wonderful and the story is truly suspenseful. I am looking forward to the next Michael Bennett book...

Step on a Crack
Step on a Crack by Michael Ledwidge (Audio CD - June 3 2008)
CDN$ 16.98 CDN$ 12.40