5.0 out of 5 stars An all-in-one art book binding instruction manual
I bought Alisa Golden's first book and have used it for years. However, I had to use other books for instructions on structures she didn't cover. With this book "Making Handmade Books" she has many more book structures (100+) and includes pop-up techniques and flexigons. This book is a great resource for beginning as well as veteran book artists.
Published on Feb. 25 2011 by Sara Norquay

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly underwhelmed
Now that I've finally been able to look inside this book and check out the content and chapters, I feel a bit disappointed that I didn't have the chance to do so on Amazon before purchase, because I probably would have looked around a bit more :/

Published 22 months ago by Lilium

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-in-one art book binding instruction manual, Feb. 25 2011
This review is from: Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly underwhelmed, Dec 18 2012

While the book does contain lots of different book binding methods, 98% of them I can honestly say I never intend to try, and do not find interesting at all. Accordion types and folding out types and all kinds of artsy construction paper weird methods that don't appeal me.

What I had in mind is the type the author glosses over at the very end of the book, the "Codex" style that, while seemingly less "contemporary" is the most respectable and widely used type (in my opinion), ie, the style in which you buy all your hardcover books today and for the last 100 years. I was hoping this book would contain a larger amount of styles for this particular method, decorations for the cover under the book cloth, stitching, etc- techniques that have been used for hundreds of years. I guess the classical method isn't as fun for most people.

In any case, if you're interested in making accordion books and T-Cut and Brush books and a whole array of useless little booklets and things that can't really be used for much, (again, my own opinion) then you would love this manual. I am into journal making and so the majority of the styles listed are totally useless to me. It's packed full of information, just not much that I will find useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Jan. 23 2012
This was a resource at a book making workshop I attended and I just had to have a copy of my own. Chock full of great ideas, great photographs and easy to follow instructions. Definitely a keeper!

5.0 out of 5 stars Making Handmade Books:100 + Bindings, structures & forms, Nov. 8 2011
L. Waters (Edmonton) - See all my reviews
This book is a must have for book artists. The book has the best basic information I have ever seen

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, Aug. 13 2011
I was so excited to receive this book in the mail! The images in the book that compliment the written instruction are wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I've bought on handmade books to date, July 7 2014
Susanne Skene (Cobble Hill, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
The best book I've bought on handmade books to date. In fact, I don't think I'll ever need to buy another!

5.0 out of 5 stars Handmade Books, June 7 2014
I am into making my own albums, so wanted to learn how to do different binding stitches. This book is very helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for people who want to create!, Oct. 17 2013
I read this book cover to cover. There are so many inspiring ideas. If you are creative and need an outlet then buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the one i am looking for, Feb. 22 2012
This book is so useful for book-binding projects especially for portfolio and one's own collection. so detailed and so beautiful one. Cant help to have it for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Sept. 27 2014
Clear instructions, generously illustrated steps, lovely photos of the author's finished products, and snippets of book-binding stories and history.

Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms by Alisa Golden (Paperback - Jan. 4 2011)
CDN$ 21.95 CDN$ 15.85