5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Cookbook For Gluten and Dairy Intolerant Folks
This is such an amazing cookbook. As a stay-at-mom to three little ones I have my share of quick and easy healthy meal cookbooks but when I found out I was gluten and milk protein intolerant I didn't know where to start.

Published on Aug. 28 2009 by Amy VG

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good at all
Published 12 months ago by S. Bergsma

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Cookbook For Gluten and Dairy Intolerant Folks, Aug. 28 2009
Amy VG (Southern Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes (Paperback)

I am so glad to have picked this book up four months ago. Susan O'Brien's The Gluten-Free Vegan is not only jam-packed with easy healthy recipes, but what I love is her use of newly researched "health benefit foods" like walnuts, agave nectar, a slew of healthier flours (like quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, sorghum), and coconut.

And the dishes made from the recipes are awesome! My husband and I have been wanting to make food like this on a daily bases, and now we are!

Our favourites are:
Mock Tabbouleh Salad
Kale with Peanut Sauce
Spinach Dal
Spinach Tofu with Peanut Sauce
Vegetable Stir-fry (we've tried a lot of different stir-fries and this one is THE best!)
Asparagus Risotto
Rice Treats
Peach & Blueberry Cobbler
Peanut Butter Cookies
Cashew Crème Frosting

And the above list are just our favourites!! A couple of months ago I bought this cookbook for my brother as well, as he is also gluten and diary intolerant, and unfortunately he is also allergic to peanuts so he just omits that part in the recipes or uses an alternative.

I don't know what I would have done without this cookbook, definitely a huge lifesaver. The recipes take anywhere from 15m to 45m to make start to finish, which is not too bad for great healthy food, and it is great as so I am not a slave in the kitchen all day.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Nov. 12 2011
I bought this book about 4 weeks ago and it is great. I have made about 10 recipe's so far, a variety between main dishes, desserts and salads and ALL have been fabulous. I was a bit skeptical with some of the bad reviews but the truth is, the recipes are wonderful as is but really if you find them to be too 'boring' (as one of the reviews had mentioned) then just spice it up! I have recommended this book to all of my gluten free vegan friends and they love it.

Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very practical, Aug. 18 2008
This book has been wonderful for me. I've made many of the recipes and have thoroughly enjoyed eating them. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who wants or needs to avoid gluten and animal products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, Sept. 7 2011
Kathryn L. Schmidt (Vancouver Canada) - See all my reviews
Best cookbook ever! It was the first cookbook I bought after I discovered I was gluten intolerant and wanted to become a vegan. It helped me see that there are plenty of things for a gluten-free vegan to eat. I hope she writes more cookbooks.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a real find, June 24 2011
This book is fabulous. I've got all kinds of gluten-free cook books but this one takes the "cake". I love the Pear Torte recipe. It's my favourite. The recipe for sweet bell peppers I've used too and like very much. I make a puree out of it and use it in tomato sauces. What a great flavour it adds. The rice pudding made with cardoman pods and coconut milk is yummy too. I've made the carrot cake too with the cashew creme icing. What a nice way to have icing without the refined sugar. The cashew icing uses dates instead. Oh yes, the healthy puffed rice recipe using brown rice syrup is really good but I found it tricky getting the nut butter and rice syrup mixed to each other and then joined with the dry ingredients. It's a bit like a candy but well worth the effort I assure you. You are bound to use this book if you purchase it.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cookbook, bar none, July 3 2012
I bought this book more than a year ago; I think we've probably made more than half the recipes, and I plan to eventually get to other half. It has become my go-to cookbook for salads, side dishes, main courses and dessert. In fact, these are the best gluten-free dessert recipes I've ever found: brownies, cookies, carrot cake, fruit crumble - all delicious. The recipe for pad thai sauce is now the only one I use, and the green bean and edamame side dish has become a staple at our house. This book is not only for people with food intolerances, but for anyone looking to reduce their gluten and meat consumption.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious recipes, Oct. 16 2011
Although I've only tried a few recipes so far, they have all been delicious! Some of the recipes are time consuming, but well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars new era for Gluten-free diets, March 9 2014
Marika Mouscardy "M&M" (Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
I am not a vegetarian but I definitly understand the need of introducing more vegetables in a regular daily intake. No more problems with coordinating good balanced meals, with such diversified recipes and creativity with food. With this book, gluten-free diet does not seem like «rocket-science» anymore.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very good at all, Aug. 21 2013
S. Bergsma "cakedesigner" (Canada) - See all my reviews
I don't normally give bad reviews for products but I had so many bad experiences with the recipes in this book that I just had to say something. My sister borrowed this book from a friend when we were visiting her so I copied a few recipes to try myself when I got home. We also made one at her house and it was less-than-impressive. And considering the write-up about the recipe in the book raved about the deliciousness of it, all 6 of us who ate it were thinking "um, that was rather boring and bland". I then thought, "ok, one bad recipe in a cookbook isn't worth a bad review so I'll try some other ones". I tried several more recipes and each one tasted like it was missing something or it just fell apart. I've been gluten free for over 10 years and vegan for 3 1/2 years so I know a little bit about gluten free baking/cooking - when you make a recipe with only rice flour (like several in the book), it's always going to taste awful and turn out bad. In order to get a decent finished product, you really need to combine a few different gluten free flours. I just really found that this book was lacking in many areas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cook Book Ever!, Jan. 21 2013
This cookbook is amazing. It even tells you how to use up leftovers from one recipe with another. I was so impressed with this cookbook. I have never has a cookbook that I wanted to try ever single recipe in the book before but I am on my way to a great start. Thank you Susan for making this amazing cookbook. My husband and son are on a restricted diet and so that I do not need to cook more than one meal I have started as well as my daughter. Both my daughter and I are seeing a huge difference with our heath even though we did not think we needed this I have now come to the conclusion that we did. Susan has made this very possible and easy to convert to gluten-free and Vegan. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes and all the fun that goes into making them.

The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Gluten-Free, Animal-Free Recipes