‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and satisfying low-fat recipes, July 28 2012
G. Larouche (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes (Paperback)
I am a big fan of Miss Moscowitz, and this book is jam-packed with yummy recipes that even non-vegans can appreciate. Wanting to eat low-fat does not mean you have to sacrifice that wonderful feeling you get after a filling and satisfying meal, and this book shows you exactly how!

We have enjoyed many recipes from this book, but my highlights are the pad thai salad, grilled portobellos, pasta con broccoli, marinara sauce, eggplant and chickpea curry, Moroccan chickpea and zucchini stew; delicious! I usually adjust the seasoning in most recipes I get from cookbooks, but not with these! Adventurous palates will be very pleased: as much attention has been put into making these dishes taste amazing as it has been put into making them healthy. The very precise nutritional info for each recipe is great, and the ingredients are generally very easy to get your hands on, even if the meal ends up tasting exotic. There are also plenty of tips for variations, clever ways to use leftovers, and combining recipes to create stunning meals. I refer to this book constantly when low on culinary inspiration, and I wouldn't go without it.

I highly recommend this book to everyone who enjoys a delicious home-cooked meal, but especially to people looking for low-fat recipe ideas, or to omnivores looking to use more vegetables and meat-free alternative in their cooking routines. Also check out her book "Vegan with a Vengeance".

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, as usual!, May 4 2011
I know it's shameless but I must admit that Isa Chandra Moskowitz is my favorite chef in the whole world. Every recipe is creative and fun. She always adds great tips in her books both for beginning cooks and veterans of the kitchen. Not to mention that each meal tastes delicious as is, but some are open to interpretation as well.

I own many cookbooks, but hers are the ones I use most. I feel like she has really WORKED to get those recipes right, making sure each detail is perfect, unlike many other chefs I know who just sort of put cookbooks together without reading a recipe twice. Isa's not just writing cookbooks for paychecks, she's on a mission: to show the world that vegan food is amazing. And I, for one, am convinced.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucious delight and light!, Feb. 16 2011
It's amazing that these recipes can be low fat yet still taste so luscious and creamy! Two recent dishes we tried were the caulipots and the butternut coconut rice, and let me tell you, you'd think you were dining on something with high fat and unhealthy dairy although there is none. Both dishes tasted incredibly smooth and rich and were very satisfying.

I love all the little symbols and tips that go along with the recipes, so you can know exactly how long to expect the prep and cook time to take, and can get a quick nutritional profile of each meal.

Plus, Isa's writing style is just plain fun and makes for an enjoyable read through each recipe!

I'd highly recommend this book for anyone looking for delicious, plant-based meals that will please vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Book for Lovers of Good (Healthy Food), Jan. 28 2011
For those of us who want to eat healthy but still want to eat tasty...Isa has come to the rescue! This book has so much going for it. 1) A lot of the recipes feasture easy to access ingredients that you can find in a small town 2) the recipes I have tried so far are delicious! The sweet potato drop biscuits alone are worth the price of the book. I made them 3 times in a row as per the request of my omni friends! 3) recipes are HEALTHY and may help you to achieve your weight goals. So this is an entirely win-win decision - buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome healthy vegan cookbook, July 4 2013
Lynsey Dale - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I just got this book a week ago, have already made 5 different recipes from it, all of which were fantastic, delicious and healthy and reasonably simple to make. I am not a chef by any means, I always look for recipes that have fewer than 10 ingredients and less than 5 or so steps, so I'm no fabulous cook but these recipes make me look like I am because they are simple but sooo tasty! The ingredients are all simple and easy to find (no rare, can only find in speciality stores type ingredients) and there are many recipes that can be done in 30 minutes or less, for those busy weeknights. I am so grateful for this book, it's taught me basic things like how to marinate and bake tofu, and how to cook beans from scratch but also has some fancier dishes. I love how it is organized into categories such as "main dish beans" "tofu and tempeh" "comfort curries and stews", etc., plus there is a quick-reference appendix at the back that tells you which recipes are gluten-free, soy-free, 30 min or less, etc. I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn how to cook healthy vegan food. An added bonus is Isa's humour, she is absolutely hilarious and relatable. Awesome cookbook!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook! No just for weight loss, July 13 2012
I am not a full vegan, nor bought it with plan to loose weight. This is a great book and it does not even seem like a diet cookbook!

Many, very good and FLAVORFUL vegan recipes!

Won my mother over with the Irish Seitan Stew!

Isa Chandra Moskowitz is the best vegan author-out there-in my opinion.

Check out her other books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Nov. 3 2012
The recipes in this book are incredible. The chipotle lentil burgers were a huge hit, even with my husband, who is a meat eater.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, low fat and vegan - what more could you want?!, Feb. 2 2011
I bought this cookbook just before Christmas and I love it! I am a vegan and my New Year's resolution was to lose a bit of weight - so the timing of publication of this cookbook was perfect. I've made a number of the recipes and have been really impressed with the selection and the flavours - and love having the nutritional info right at my fingertips. The recipes are very easy to follow and generally pretty quick to make. I keep this cookbook on my counter at all times - it is now my "go to" cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good cookbook!, Sept. 22 2013
Lots of interesting and easy to follow recipes! A must for any kitchen even if you have meat eaters. There are lots of recipes that anyone can enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for family cooking, Feb. 10 2013
I rated this book 5 stars because it is the perfect source for family-friendly recipes that nobody will believe are vegan.
The recipes are to-the-point and true to the title. Isa Chandra Moskowitz is a blessing.

I have learned so much from this book and far exceeded my own expectations. I never knew I could make a cauliflower lasagna that other people would actually want to eat! The only complaint I have would be that the typeface is a little boring but that's easily forgiven when you account for how much sheer content there is in this modest little book!

I would recommend this book to the busy family chef or to anyone who's interested in really earning their kitchen legs. The recipes can range from absolute beginner to level 5 mom, but there is something for everyone, and plenty of room to explore.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (Paperback - Dec 7 2010)
CDN$ 23.95 CDN$ 17.29