5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, even for the non-religious
Published on June 4 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't what i expected
Due to the large print, I was not satisfied with the product but that was my own mistake for not seeing it in the info. Other than that the book was in great shape and would have loved it otherwise.
Published 23 months ago by Nancy Klassen

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, even for the non-religious, June 4 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: REDEEMING LOVE (Paperback)
A friend recommended this book to me, and I started it with reluctance, being a non-religious person. I really loved it and plan on getting my own copy. It is a wonderful and moving love story, and is not preachy at all. Francine Rivers brings the story to life with her descriptive and heart felt writing. The people are not made out to be saints, just real people with real life struggles trying to make it in the world. It really is a great book...not what I expected from Christian fiction, so I was really pleasantly surprised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great example of love, Nov. 1 2007
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Hardcover)
Micheal is a character who shows us an example of the unending patience of God's love for us. Angel is a character who shows us how much sin and shame can seperate us from the very thing we want...unconditional love. The story of how these two get together is a reflection of the way we come to know God. Francine Rivers ties it all together with a craft well honed. I can hardly wait for her to write more romance novels with Christian values reflected through out.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful Picture of Christ and His Bride, June 12 2003
Crystal Ben-Ezra (Peoria, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
It based on the story of Hosea, in the Bible. Michael Hosea (like Hosea in the Bible) is told to marry a prostitute, named Angel. He works on her heart, loving her, and helping her work through her wretched past.
It is not a book for the faint-hearted. Francine Rivers is not afraid to hit you with the realities of this world full force. But that in part is what makes it so good. Because if our sin, the evil of this world, is watered down, then the Good, the Salvation is worthless.
There is great depth to this story. While it is all about Michael and Angel and their relationship and their relationships with God, it is also a story about God and how He sanctifies His Beloved Bride, the Church.
Francine Rivers does such a good job of taking hold of your heart. You will cry. You will yell at the characters. Once, I even threw my book down because it made me so angry. But then I pick it up and chapters later I laugh and cry with joy. It is a book that really touches you.
However, I would not suggest this book for younger people. Parents should read it first and then decide. It could be a little too much for some younger people.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Powerful Witness, June 10 2002
Marnee Downing (Northridge, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
When Redeeming Love was first released, as an admirer of Francine's story telling skills I rushed out to buy a copy. After reading it I returned to clear out the shelves of three different book stores, buying 4-5 copies at a shot. When it was released in hardback through a book club, I bought another 5 copies. Why so many books? Because it is the BEST witness of the Father's love that I can give to someone who will not listen to "God talk" or read traditional Christian fiction. What is a well written romance on the surface, is so much more at its core.
This story gets inside of the readers heart and mind, it creates a hunger to be loved unconditionally. To be loved in a manner the world via Hollywood tells us is possible, but life experince tells us is not.
This is God's love at work in Michael's life and Angel's, and for those readers who allow it, in our lives as well. We all sin and fall short of the mark, Angel did so in a very public manner. We all need to be redeemed, to know that we are loved beyond measure. Francine's retelling of the book of Hosea allows a glimpse of the depth and breadth of the Father's love for each of us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and heartwrenching love story, May 5 2002
Shelli Huizenga (Hudsonville, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
This book will grab you by the heart in the first few sentences and hold onto it all the way through to the end. As a new-comer to Christian writting, I have to say this is the most powerful story I have ever read(And I am an avid reader). Taking place in the 1850's, it is a re-telling of the book of Hosea. Angel, having been thrown into prostitution as a child, is bitter and holds a deep hatred for men. Michael Hosea, a God fearing and loving farmer, is told by God this is the wife he has been praying for. Although Michael questions God(who answers him again) he takes Angel to be his bride and sets himself down a path to which his love, patience, and understanding will be challenged by both her and God. There are moments in this story that are written so well you can't help but feel Michael's desperation at the challenge God has put before him. And, you can't help but love what he is trying to make her understand, and love her as well despite all her flaws and misgivings about life and the Lord. I promise you will weep with such saddness and at the same time weep because Michael Hosea is so pure in his love for her. In fact, so much so that God has to intercede and remind Michael that his love for Angel is through God and not it's own entity. I promise this book will be worth your while. You will find youself looking for people to loan it to. It is just too good of an experience to keep to yourself. If you haven't yet grasped the full understanding of what God's love is, you will get a pretty big insight reading Redeeming Love. Francine Rivers has a beautiful gift and I will continue to look for books she puts on the shelf. Your sister in Christ, Shelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely outstanding Novel!!, May 2 2002
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
"Redeeming Love" is a truly wonderful book, which will take you on a roller coaster ride of emotions. The story was so touching, and Ms. River's did a superb job of developing the characters. It is an exceptional story about Sarah, "Angel," a young girl of 18, who was sold in to prostitution as a little girl of seven. Michael Hosea, a divout Christian farmer, is instructed to marry her. A battle of wills ensues, and even when they eventually get married, Angel refuses to be held down. Gradually, Michael's unconditioal love, and gentle manner melt her heart, but Angel fears that she is unworthy, and is torn in to by conflicting voices of light and darkness. She leaves Michael to go back to her old life, and the story becomes suspenseful, and very exciting. I appreciate that Francine River's charcters are depicted as human, and are not portrayed as perfect. Angel can only get help from the One who is. An interesting fact about this book is that it is a powerful retelling of the book of Hosea in the Old Testament. God tells his prophet, Hosea to marry an adultress wife, Gomer to make an example for His chosen people, the Israelites, who were worshipping idols, and to illustrate his gift of grace. I would recommend reading the book of Hosea first, and then reading this superb retelling. It will definetely change your life for the better. Happy Reading, and God Bless!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Spellbinding Love Story, March 10 2002
cutie_pie (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
Can you imagine loving someone so much you would do anything for them? Can you imagine knowing that they don't love you back? You put out all your strength to gain their trust and love and not get anything in return. Living live with our significant other is what God intended for us to do. But what if the person God has chosen for you, won't even open her hart to let you have a glimpse? Would you keep trying or would you give up and live the rest of your life miserable and alone? This was the decisions forced upon Michael Hosea.
Michael Hosea is a farmer who works his fields by day and reads the bible by night. Angel, who was sold into prostitution at the age of 8, is struggling with her troubled past. She doesn't open her heart for anyone, especially men who promise her the world. When God tells Michael to marry Angel, he hesitated, but did as he was told. She convinces herself that he is just going to hurt her like all the others and does everything in her power not to get close to him. She is so stubborn it frustrates him, but God tells him to keep trying.
This book files you with so many different emotions at once. Happiness, joy, anger, pity, sadness and sorrow, are just a few. At many point of the book you want to break down and cry, or scream out to the characters. Francine Rivers does a wonderful job of bring the story to life. With the setting in California's gold country, in the 1850's, it's a timeless love story that will take your breath away. Her words trigger your imagination, making this novel spellbinding.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Super-charged Emotional Read, Jan. 10 2002
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
REDEEMING LOVE is an historical romance that doubles as an allegory for the Biblical story of Hosea. It was actually the first book that Rivers wrote as a new Christian but was published in this market sixth.
If you're not familiar with Hosea then I suggest you sit and read that (Old Testament) book first. In it, God commands Hosea to take a prostitute as his wife. The prostitute is unfaithful and leaves but God commands Hosea to find her, forgive her and accept her again, as an example of how much He loves Israel. It is a powerful story of bitter-sweet love and extreme forgiveness.
That same story is re-told here, in the setting of the old west. It is just as extreme and just as powerful. Rivers is the queen of character development and that strength is played upon even more than usual here. In the end, REDEEMING LOVE is a super-charged and emotional read that will both bring you to tears and give you a much deeper understanding of just how much God really loves you. FIVE STARS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Story of Love, Oct. 3 2001
Megan Ward (Thomasville,Ga) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers is one of the best books that has been written. The book is well written and the way she writes draws you into the book. Every time you pick up the book to read there is no stopping. The story is about God's unwavering love for every one of us. Angel is a sinful harlot that has never known God and thinks of Him as he hateful father. Then Michael Hosea, a God-fearing man, sees the beautiful harlot and knows within him she is supposed to be his. He tries to show her that God loves her and he loves her but she is so hard from being a prostitute that any kind of love is hard for Angel to fathom. She runs away more than once and Michael goes and saves her and shows her the love of God. He finally breaks Angel's walls with the help of God and she falls in love with him. Even though it seemed to work out, she ran away again and found the love she had been looking for all her life. God's love gave her peace and comfort forever.
The book has such strong writing and depiction of the life Angel lived it made you hurt inside for her. Francine Rivers is an amazing writer because of the way she chooses her words and phrases. Every chapter she would start with a Bible verse which just made an even heavier impact upon you and what you were reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changes Lives, Feb. 9 2011
This review is from: Redeeming Love (Paperback)
This book definitely changed my life. Francine Rivers dedicated this book to all those who hurt and hunger and she was very wise in doing so. The dedication was what caught my attention. As I started to read, I started to have dificulties finishing the book as it was very hard to read about Angel's struggles in life. She found God the hard way like most of us do. Through the struggles in life is unfortunitely the way most of us come to have a strong relationship with the Lord. Although this is a fictional book, Angel's courage and determination really changed me. It really made me realise how important the Lord is. How he allows bad things to happen to us in order for better things to come of it. He is an amazing God and He will always be with us. This book really expresses how unconditional His love for you and I truly is. If you have ever gone through something hard in life, or even if you're just looking for a fantastic book to read, this really is the book for YOU.

Redeeming Love
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers (Hardcover - Oct. 16 2007)
CDN$ 25.99 CDN$ 16.29