Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: HardcoverChange

on September 16, 2010
I have read many inspirational books in my time and attended many conferences, this one is in the top 3 inspirational books I have ever read. The reason for this is that you kind of know going into it that there's no way these boys are encouraging "positive thinking for success" or "how to get all you want while doing nothing". This is a great, honest and straight forward book about how putting out an effort and breaking through the culture that we have been trained to can allow ANYONE of ANY AGE and ANY STANDING to meet their goals, to do more than they dreamed possible. I loved this book and am in the midst of sharing it with my youth group.
on July 28, 2015
Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations by Alex Harris and Brett Harris is a very inspiring book. It is well written and easy to read. This book was written after the Authors created a blog - which became website - called which became one of the most read or viewed teen blogs on the web I believe. While reading through this book God has really inspired me to personally pursue doing hard things (according to God's calling for my life), and I hope it can do the same for you!
One annoying issue I had with this book is that, I found that Do Hard Things sometimes leaves out the importance of reliance on God. By this I don't mean sitting on the couch waiting for God to pull you off and into the great outdoors to do some big thing. But I mean waiting and listening for God's voice in a matter, not just hoping into something to make a name for your self. If God wants you to be a teacher of Doing the dishes, for example, that should be where we willingly apply ourselves.
Other than that (and if you look at the book using the "glasses" of reliance on God the book can be extremely valuable, as I have found) this was a great book. Alex and Brett Harris have portrayed their message very clearly. And it has inspired me personally.
Thanks Brett Alex for a great book!

- Very well written, keeps you interested (I am easily interested so don't go rating it badly because you didn't follow through with reading the book :D)
- Easy to follow
- Message is clear and confident
- The real life stories are inspiring

- As I said above, the message is somewhat pushing self reliance (a little too much I think)

All Up:
Great book - Five stars easy, Brett and his Dad are coming out with another book soon (I think) and I can't wait to read it!
on April 8, 2011
We have been studying this book as a youth group for the past several weeks. Each week we have challenged our youth to do a hard thing. This has ranged from taking $5 as a group and raising money for Compassion Canada to telling thier teachers, friends, and family about the love of Jesus. Through studying this book together we've been able to raise the bar for our youth to Do Hard Things. This book is an asset to any youth, youth group, or adult who wants to challenge themselves to be raised above low expectations!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
While I was reading Start Here I came to realize that this was a follow-up book to Do Hard Things. And I took the liberty to email one of my contact at Waterbrook to see if I could review Do Hard Things and she agreed. I was very happy with this answer as I am planning to have my kids read through these books when they embark on the adventure of the teenage years.
This book is an absolute must read for teenager and even their parents. I wished I had a book like this when I was a teen. It is so simple to read and your youth will have a wealth of encouragement from the first chapter to the last one. It is interesting to learn the history behind the word teenager and how the culture has shifted the way of thinking on the young people in our society since then.
I am planning to have my kids read through Do Hard Things and Start Here. My oldest son will be turning 9 this summer and already we make sure that he is involved in various things that will demand some sort of effort from him. For example, we held a garage sale recently and he has been helping to plan, setup and advertize since the beginning. He and his siblings wanted to get donation for Haiti during the garage sale. It was decided to make a lemonade stand and have some muffins as well. Everything was free but he had to mention that donations will go directly for Haiti. Result? More than 75$ was collected. He learned to speak to people directly in their eyes and approach them as well. It cost little money but the experience is priceless I think. Another thing that he did this year was to participate to the Awana Quizzing Competition even though he was the only one participating from his club. He was not able to advance in the finals of his section but he quizzed out and got all the answers right. I pray and hope that he will continue to stand up and go forward even when if it seems hard at first. And I pray that his siblings will follow his example in the future.
A free study guide is also available at [...]. I think this is a great way to spend some time in discussion with your teenager and talk about the chapters.
Our youth is capable of so many things. Are we going to give them a chance to expand their wings? I know I will. It is such a good way to learn and discover what are their talents.
This review was possible because I received a copy of Do Hard Things from Waterbrook.
on January 21, 2012
Excellent read for all ages, especially the youth of today who expect much but do little.
Teenage years are preparation years for adulthood and this book teaches the you to make wise choices today
because of their impact on tomorrow.
on August 6, 2013
Just that, buy it, read it, make your kids read it, and then do hard things, like take responsiblity and suffer the consequences of your own bad (or good) choices.