Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools

Just in Case: How to Be Self-Sufficient When the Unexpected Happens
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$17.91+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
I've been reading a fair number of "survival"-type books recently, both wilderness and home survival. I think this one will be the last for a while as I'm getting filled up with the genre. That said, I think this was a good book to choose to end with. To start with, the author (Kathy Harrison) is a good deal less paranoid and a good deal more practical than most urban survivalists. Which is why I bought this book. If you're expecting any discussion of necessary guns, armor, or anti-government tactics, this book is not for you.

Rather, it's a book that outlines how to be more self-sufficient and how to cope with potential disasters that affect you and your home. The book includes general discussions of power-loss, fire, terrorist attacks, chemical and nuclear accidents, storms, pandemics, a small bit about wilderness survival, and a good bit of talk about self-sufficiency, especially with regards to food. In that regard, I think the book goes a little over-board in talking about building up a one-year supply of emergency food. As with other books that I've read, I think that if civilization craps out to the point where there's no food for a year, we'll all be so far up the creek that surviving an extra year will be the least of your worries. It's pretty hard to imagine anything short of a planet-wrecking asteroid or nuclear war leading to a scenario requiring one year's worth of food in your basement!

In fact, we just had a huge wind storm here that knocked out the power for half a day. This is the kind of thing I'm interested in reading about. A few days worth of food storage, a week or two if things are really awful. Which is why I found this book less-than-perfect. Kathy states how nice it is now that survivalism has gone "mainstream" (has it?) and now she isn't considered a paranoid wacko anymore. But I don't know. Lining up shoes beside your kids beds and keeping the floor clear to exits at night seems a little over-the-top to me. Sure, practice fire safety, develop a plan, practice it with your kids (all things she advocates). But make sure before they go to sleep they have a safe escape route or an escape bag packed and ready to go? "If I die before I wake..." kind of advice if you ask me! As mentioned, the book also includes a lot of writing about food. Food is nice, but it's hardly the most important thing in a critical situation, even over a period of days. The large final section about how to cook with emergency food rations was interesting, but not likely to be terribly useful.

So once more, this is a book that's probably tailored to someone more anxious and worried than I am. Yes, it's important to be prepared. Yes, self-sufficiency is a good thing (I look forward to trying her recipe for home-made mozzarella). But I'm not going to be telling my children to keep a close eye on their shoes before they fall asleep in case the house catches fire, terrorists attack, or a nuclear-reactor somewhere blows up. Life is short. By all means, prepare yourself for the unexpected, but also take the time to stop worrying and enjoy life a little. This book does deliver more of that message than any other survival book that I've read, but I still tend to follow that message even further. For that reason, for me, it's a four-star book.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on May 25, 2015
Great intro book to emergency preparedness
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again