5.0 out of 5 stars Great Business Ideas

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for professionals
Published on Jan. 27 2000 by jjh2496

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for professionals, Jan. 27 2000
jjh2496 (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
I had high hopes for this book, but found it nearly useless in terms of providing practical information. My husband and I are in the process of converting a run-down former Standardbred training facility into a boarding operation, and we were looking for advise on fencing, building materials, safety issues, suggested rules for boarders, etc. What we got in this book was a list of puns for promotional bumper stickers and advise on planning a tea party (I'm not joking). The author seems to be much more interested in the marketing aspects of running a stable (choosing stable colors, for example) than in the actual horse-care aspects. Her advise on things like getting the best prices on feed are basically common sense ("Buy in bulk.").
If you are a pre-teen who wants to dream about the "fun" aspects of having your own stable some day, this book might suit your needs. Unfortunately, if you are an adult interested in professional advice, you won't find it here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Business Ideas, Oct. 1 2001
By A Customer
This is a great book to get you started with a horse business. It doesn't go deeply into the legal part of business (taxes, loans, documentation other than liability forms) but it gives you ideas where other business books don't. There are plenty of books out there on business specifics already. She gives good advice about promotion and profit making activities, along with how to get the most profit out of a horse. She also briefly goes over basics, such as buying lesson horses, buildings, land, management, and accounting info (along with a few forms).
Overall, it was worth "it". It gave me lots of good ideas and insights. If you are seriously wanting to start a horse business and have not a clue about it, I wouldn't rely on this book alone; it is a good starting point however.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite helpful but...., July 26 2003
By A Customer
I have read most of this book and am hoping to manage a horse farm in years to come. It is mostly revolving around a schooling and boarding stable. It has many good ideas about saving money and advertizing. I am not very experienced in running businesses and a horse business, as a loyal friend said, can make you or break you. This would help many people on a budget. It does not however tell you the approx. expenses for building and owning a stable including feed, the farrier and vet bills, and the beddings, probably to the varying prices of these items. I would recommend this book but would get a few more references on right after you build the barn and get it running.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horse business skimmed over, Sept. 19 2002
"amykay2314" (Sparks, NV United States) - See all my reviews
I felt this book covered marketing of a boarding facility. It offers simple ideas on how to make extra money but I felt this was too superficial. If you need help with marketing, advertising, and promoting this book gives you that but it does not give you the basics of running a horse business. I would reccommend instead, something written by a CPA or lawyer. There are certain things I expected like; layout and design to the best advantage, things to consider when starting a horse business, laws and taxes related to a horse business....this covers none of that so if you are looking for something in depth, this is not it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ideas, Aug. 13 2000
I think Mary McDonald's book is full of sound and useful advice. I have boarded horses, bought and sold horses, and taught riding lessons off and on for 20 years. Recently I decided to begin teaching lessons again, having taken about 8 years off. I referred to this book for ideas on organizing, planning and implementing my new riding program. I borrowed from it liberally and feel much more goal-directed and organized than in the past. I recommend this book as a starting point for anyone considering becoming involved in the horse business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book For Those Wanting to Start a Boarding or Lesson Barn, Sept. 15 2002
Angelia Almos (Lake Tahoe, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent reference for those interested in starting a boarding and/or lesson stable. Lots of promotional advice, which though overlooked by many horse people, is an intregal part of having a successful business. I only gave the book four stars because I felt the title was a little misleading in that it would be more appropriately titled "Stable" instead of "Business" since the book is geared for a boarding/lesson operation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips but no detail, April 21 2003
This book had some good tips. Most of them will apply to *any* business. It is a good reference to have around for whatever business you may have. But the information that was relevant to only a horse biz was a little too light. I'm glad I bought this book and will make good use of it but find I'm having to buy other books on horses to fill in the details.

5.0 out of 5 stars this is a very helpful book for new barn owners, Dec 1 1998
desibear@bellatlantic.net (Holland, Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great book! I don't own it but plan to get it for x-mas. I am only 13 but my friend and I love horses and want ot own a barn when we get older. this book has great ideas and things in it that I never knew that we needed or how to come about things. I would recomened this book tho any horse person whether they do or don't want to own a barn!

4.0 out of 5 stars Novel Ideas!, April 2 2002
This book is packed with lots of good ideas for advertising and "making your business known." The author covers the entire spectrum of horse-related activities, while offering tips on sticking to a reasonable budget. It certainly is a good book for any stable manager to read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Basic Intro to the horse business, July 22 1999
By A Customer
This book was easy to read and had some useful information. It gave a basic overview of what different horse businesses entail. It covers too many topics to go into much depth, but a good book for someone who would like a general introduction to the horse industry.

Starting & Running Your Own Horse Business: Marketing strategies, money-saving tips, and profitable program ideas
CDN$ 25.95 CDN$ 16.26