5.0 out of 5 stars Putting it all into words
As I went through the process of building a barn I kept thinking of things I wanted to do and getting really good ideas, but then inevitably I would forget them. This book contains them all plus hundreds of other great ideas!!
Published on Sept. 22 2003 by xspursnwhipx

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips but no detail
This book had some good tips. Most of them will apply to *any* business. It is a good reference to have around for whatever business you may have. But the information that was relevant to only a horse biz was a little too light. I'm glad I bought this book and will make good use of it but find I'm having to buy other books on horses to fill in the details.
Published on April 21 2003 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Putting it all into words, Sept. 22 2003
"xspursnwhipx" (Dallas, PA United States) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite helpful but...., July 26 2003
By A Customer
I have read most of this book and am hoping to manage a horse farm in years to come. It is mostly revolving around a schooling and boarding stable. It has many good ideas about saving money and advertizing. I am not very experienced in running businesses and a horse business, as a loyal friend said, can make you or break you. This would help many people on a budget. It does not however tell you the approx. expenses for building and owning a stable including feed, the farrier and vet bills, and the beddings, probably to the varying prices of these items. I would recommend this book but would get a few more references on right after you build the barn and get it running.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good tips but no detail, April 21 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very useful, Nov. 19 2002
S. "S" (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I was hoping this book would offer more in-depth ideas and business solutions. It kind of skimmed the surface. I didn't really find it to have a lot of unique or stunning ideas on how to run a stable. It wasn't very helpful at all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horse business skimmed over, Sept. 19 2002
"amykay2314" (Sparks, NV United States) - See all my reviews
I felt this book covered marketing of a boarding facility. It offers simple ideas on how to make extra money but I felt this was too superficial. If you need help with marketing, advertising, and promoting this book gives you that but it does not give you the basics of running a horse business. I would reccommend instead, something written by a CPA or lawyer. There are certain things I expected like; layout and design to the best advantage, things to consider when starting a horse business, laws and taxes related to a horse business....this covers none of that so if you are looking for something in depth, this is not it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book For Those Wanting to Start a Boarding or Lesson Barn, Sept. 15 2002
Angelia Almos (Lake Tahoe, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent reference for those interested in starting a boarding and/or lesson stable. Lots of promotional advice, which though overlooked by many horse people, is an intregal part of having a successful business. I only gave the book four stars because I felt the title was a little misleading in that it would be more appropriately titled "Stable" instead of "Business" since the book is geared for a boarding/lesson operation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Novel Ideas!, April 2 2002
This book is packed with lots of good ideas for advertising and "making your business known." The author covers the entire spectrum of horse-related activities, while offering tips on sticking to a reasonable budget. It certainly is a good book for any stable manager to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Business Ideas, Oct. 1 2001
By A Customer
This is a great book to get you started with a horse business. It doesn't go deeply into the legal part of business (taxes, loans, documentation other than liability forms) but it gives you ideas where other business books don't. There are plenty of books out there on business specifics already. She gives good advice about promotion and profit making activities, along with how to get the most profit out of a horse. She also briefly goes over basics, such as buying lesson horses, buildings, land, management, and accounting info (along with a few forms).
Overall, it was worth "it". It gave me lots of good ideas and insights. If you are seriously wanting to start a horse business and have not a clue about it, I wouldn't rely on this book alone; it is a good starting point however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting & running your own horse business, April 10 2001
V. L. Grant "verolin" (Grand Ledge, MI) - See all my reviews
Great book!! Great ideas, gives you alot of things to think about, ways to improve business, ways to save money with things that are easy to accomplish! I recommened it to anyone thinking of starting or that has a horse business.

3.0 out of 5 stars Double D, Dec 2 2000
By A Customer
We found this book a good general overview for someone just interested in the horse business, but not detailed enough to do much more than get you thinking.

Starting & Running Your Own Horse Business: Marketing strategies, money-saving tips, and profitable program ideas
CDN$ 25.95 CDN$ 16.26