5.0 out of 5 stars Unlike most Novels you will ever read!
Third Wish is a multi-genre reading and listening experience that operates and works on several different levels.

Published on Sept. 24 2009 by Bart Breen

2.0 out of 5 stars Strangely interesting, but it's not for me
Published on March 17 2011 by Timothy B. Riley

2.0 out of 5 stars Strangely interesting, but it's not for me, March 17 2011
Timothy B. Riley (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Third Wish (2-Volume Boxed Set with Music Companion CD) A Novel in Five Parts (Paperback)
It took me a while to give this book a fair and considerate read. I have to admit that at first I really did not like it. I hated many of the character's names (and still do) and I had problems with the incomplete sentences and the unorthodox indentations. It can work when done correctly but I thought that the author was trying too hard to break the rules without having a reason to. Frankly, the whole book seemed pretentious and self-important. If it wasn't for the commitment that I made to truly review the book I would have given up on it half way through the first volume. However, as I stuck with it I began to be interested in some of the characters (I really liked India-What and cared about what she said). Still, I always felt like a lifelong carnivore sitting down to a gourmet vegan dinner. As good as it is I still crave butter and meat.

Third Wish has elements from several different books, the most obvious is Alice in Wonderland with it's nonsensical phrases and silly lines such as the Jumwillies or the unusual conversations. The Rabbit costumes and the rubber noses are just a few examples of the peculiar behavior of the characters in this book. Many of the conversations (O-K, most of them) where written in a style that I have never heard anyone use in real life. It could be that the author wished that people talked more like his characters than they do, I for one don't.

All of the attention to what I can only describe as "artifacts" (such as the unusual gifts that some of the characters send to each other) in the book really made me become more and more aware that this book is not written for someone like me, however I know of several people who would love it. Maybe someone who is into Deepak Chopra or other writers of new age spiritual thought would find this book deep and full of meaning. I am much too pragmatic for Third Wish, but it could possibly appeal to someone with more developed spiritual sensibilities than I. The author can cook, I just don't care for his type of food.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlike most Novels you will ever read!, Sept. 24 2009
Bart Breen "Bart Breen" (Sterling, VA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

The book is a novel, and yet in reading it and listening to the accompanying music CD (original music by the way, tied specifically to points in the book) it also is a work that encompasses the culture, music, art, architecture and society of a Greek Island. Add to that, a very well written and introspective moving through the lives and relationships of the protagonists and you have a feast for the heart and intellect that is rarely seen in fictional literary works.

It may seem odd, but this reviewer found the experience more than a little reminiscent of the classical volumes of Will and Ariel Durant in some ways. See particularly The Story of Civilization, Vol II: The Life of Greece by Will Durant.

Of course those elements are not the primary focus, but the background information and research that went into this book represent a similar thoroughness and attention to detail that sets the tone and context of this work to a remarkable degree that I've never observed in a formal fictional genre.

Add to these elements, Fulgham's introspective and spiritual approach to the characters and relationships he builds upon and you have again, a very remarkable and unique book.

5 Stars. I recommend it heartily.

Bart Breen