5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous read for a first-time gardener, Jan. 16 2011
This review is from: Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden (Paperback)
Sugar Snaps and Strawberries by Andrea Bellamy is a fantastic how-to for creating your own garden in a small space. As a first-time gardener, I found this book extremely easy to read (I finished it in one evening, but can forsee returning to it frequently over the coming months as I plan, plant and harvest my garden). The author's writing style and breadth of knowledge makes me trust her judgement completely. Not only does Andrea share her insights into edible gardening, she illustrates her examples with the most amazing photographs. With images of sugar snaps and strawberries dancing in my head, I'm off to sleep to dream of all the wonderful things I'll be growing and feasting on this coming year!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Green thumbs away!", Aug. 23 2011
For years about the only thing that I planted were tomatoes. Then last year I included a couple of other plants like beets, carrots and lettuce with minimal results. "Sugar Snaps and Strawberries" helped me to understand how I can have better success. I thought all veggies needed lots of sun. Not so. Some prefer a bit of shade. And hey! why not throw in some veggies with your flowers! With the help of this book I'm going to have an awesome garden next year! My thumbs aren't going to be the only fingers that will be "green" next summer!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm inspired to Grow..., May 17 2011
This book was a great read! It reminded me how much I used to love working in the garden as a kid (snacking on peas and carrots before they were ready!). Full of great tips on how to bring the garden into a small space, I had no idea how much could be done without a yard. Looking forward to seeing what I can grow on my apartment patio this summer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring life to your indoor and outdoor spaces, Jan. 30 2014
This book is a beautifully crafted, how-to guide on gardening. You'll fly through the pages because it's easy to read and comprehend. It's an inviting book inside and out, including the full page photos.

There's so many things that I like about this book, for example the writing doesn't flow page over page so it's easier to find your way back to a particular topic.

I bought this book as a gift for my husband and it has inspired both of us to plan our edible garden...instead of just winging it because we've been dissapointed with the results. Some of the most useful information in the book is of course when to sow what and under what conditions. I have a compost in my garden and the book covers what you should and shouldn't put in it so that you can maximize the nutrients your plants receive.

The book was a great investment and in addition to spending more time with my husband in the garden, I look forward to growing some really good eats!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book for beginning urban gardeners, June 20 2011
I had the great opportunity to stumble upon Andrea's stand at our local Trout Lake Farmers market. She had "seed bombs" on her table, and that intrigued my oldest daughter... That's how we got to check her book out. it's awesome!
Very well written and with loads of tips and tricks.
So after checking it out, we bought it (spent the last of our market dollars on it, and well worth it !). We even got a little hand written note for my daughter :-)
We have now created two small spaces where we can grow some food. And we are actively watching our tomatoes, rhubarb and salad growing. We even know how to remove the suckers from the tomato plants!
So all this to say that it really is an inspirational book, written for everyone who wants to garden. Highly recommend it !

5.0 out of 5 stars Helping you get edible gardening right., June 2 2011
So many times you are left mid-growing season scratching your head wondering what happened to your vegetables. So anxious to get planting there's often little thought to such details as what to plant where, what soil to use, how to optimize your soil, deal with pests and keep your food edible (i.e. no chemicals). But who wants to read a boring textbook on gardening when the sun is shining and your empty garden is beaconing, "Plant me!"? Enter Sugar Snaps and Strawberries. Written in plain language in an engaging, fun and light voice, this book is a fantastic guide and terrific reference to getting gardening right. So much so that you might find yourself glued to the pages and putting off your crops until you reach the last page! Follow even some of the advice in here and you'll be guaranteed to get better yields, and do more eating of the food you grow. When you have limited space, as Andrea suggests, maximizing what you plant can still be very rewarding. Even if you have more room, everything still applies.

Full of wisdom and gorgeous photos, and packaged in an attractive design, this book is worth every penny. Actually, come to think of it, for the cost of a bag of Farmer's Market veggies, this is the best investment you will make in your garden and your future food supply.

CDN$ 25.95 CDN$ 16.26