Format: Hardcover|Change

on January 22, 2013
The best thing about this diet is it works for post-menopausal women and is in fact geared for them and it works. It's very difficult to lose weight post-menopause and with all the diet books out there,it's about time someone addressed this issue. I have the this book as well as the "Flat Belly Diet Cookbook". The scientific and nutritional explanations are excellent and there's a 4 wk. diet plan to follow complete with journal to track your progress. This diet includes healthy fats, which your body needs, and is based on a 1600 calorie a day intake which is a safe weight loss programme. There is also a very doable exercise programme to follow (that does not include crunches--thank you!)that tones all your body and lets face it, you really can't lose weight and stay toned without including exercise. I do recommend that you also eliminate grains from your diet (Please see "Grain Belly" by Dr. William Davis also available on Amazon.ca--you can buy the summary version at very little cost) as so many of us are hypersensitive to grains and do not even know it. You will see even better results.
on February 11, 2015
I love reading nutrition and recipe books, so I originally bought them E book of this, and I loved it, So before I got the recipes and the 4 day kick start diet, I ordered the hard copy of the book , as its so hard to read recipes in a e book format.

I wish I didn't now! the book made so much sense and sounds really healthy and nutritious, then I looked at the 4 day diet, the lunch consisted of 4 oz of sliced turkey and string cheese, two of the MOST processed foods you can buy! YUCK how can some one promote healthy and nutritious diet and then suggest such processed foods, would not agree with her logic at all.

total garbage
on April 30, 2009
Ask your doctor about belly fat. You will learn about a special kind of fat that resides deep within your torso. This so called `visceral fat' is the kind of fat that is the most difficult to get rid of. Not only that -- too much of visceral fat is also dangerous to your health.

The co-author of the book, Cynthia Sass, has developed a "belly-shrinking eating plan that is grounded in the latest and most credible science and offers the most filling, satisfying, and delicious meals that you will ever have the pleasure of eating." However Liz Vacareillo's vision went beyond food. In her book she proposes mental tips, tricks and strategies that are designed to inspire, motivate, and "set you up for a better relationship with food for the rest of your life!"

The Flat Belly Diet Program takes 32 days and it is divided into two parts - the Four-Day Anti-Bloat Jumpstart, and the Four-Week Eating Plan. These 32 days is just enough time for one to make appropriate dietary changes leading to a new lifestyle. After you learn the program and observe desired changes in your body, Liz gives you the tools to keep your belly flat for the rest of your life.

The program is not only about getting your body to fit your desired dress size, but it is also (and especially so) about feeling confident, powerful and proud of you body. Essentially Liz offers to her readers to adapt a new way of living. And this is what appeals most to me. The new lifestyle that results not only in a flat belly, but that also has a detoxifying effect and lets you live healthier and longer. This is a good continuation of the idea so well presented in Your Body Maintenance Handbook with a few chapters specifically devoted to dieting programs and body cleansing. To properly understand how your body works and to get the most of the program I suggest reading Body Maintenance Handbook BEFORE "Flat Belly Diet."
on February 8, 2016
Recipes are very different from the Flat Belly Pocket guide. Have tried 3 so far and they are very good. Simple ingredients (if you are already used to the flat belly diet - pocket guide, you will have most ingredients on hand).
on August 4, 2010
I originally took this book out from the library because while flipping through a few recipes appealed to me. I like to cook healthy meals and am always on the lookout for new ideas. Although the "flat belly diet" itself isn't exactly in sync with my own diet strategy, a lot of the recipes are full of good real food ingredients and are very tasty!

I put stickies on the pages i was going to copy and then realized I wanted nearly 30 recipes out of it! So I went on to purchase it.

All the nutritional information for the meals are provided (very useful), there are some beautiful pictures and some very tasty recipes!

I would highly recommend this book. :)
on December 10, 2013
I first got this book from the library and tried some recipes. I liked it so much that I wanted to own it. So I ordered it from Amazon.ca.
I tried quite a few recipes already and find them very wholesome and yummy. I would recommend it to anybody.
on March 6, 2009
This is a great book for people who are serious about losing weight. I'm from Canada and the reason I couldn't give this 5 stars is because most of the food items listed here are difficult to find, if not impossible. In addition, it is written specifically for women. Men have to make modifications to the diet that were not immediately obvious. An email to the diet help program resolved my questions.

That being said, I took the general idea of the recipes and made my own meals from scratch, using healthy substitutions. I was able to take 2 1/2 inches off of my waist in 32 days. I don't have a large frame to begin with, so that is a very good ratio.

Like ANY diet, you will need some form of will power to help make this work.
on December 8, 2012
I tried the first 4 days of this 28 day diet and it seemed to work. A lot of the groceries were not items I had in my house so expensive. This requires cooking separate from the family with a lot of measuring. I'm willing. Will try again after Christmas. Lots of recipe ideas included.
on November 8, 2008
I am always on the lookout for a book that can help me with belly fat as that is my biggest problem and I am so glad this book was written! It's not like it's that much new info--more grains, slow down when eating, etc--but it gave me a new perspective, which is what all dieters need from time to time. If you want rid of that belly fat, this is the book for you. Another one that helped me get on the weight loss kick was Fatass No More! How I Lost Weight and Still Ate Cheeseburgers and Fries.
on December 29, 2012
Interesting book, but the recipes are too complicated to make everyday. You usually do not have all the ingredients at hand.