summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Pets All-New Kindle sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 22, 2011
The first section of this book covers materials, fabric choices, and step-by-step quilt construction. The author keeps things simple and clear. I liked that there were multiple designs of straight-line and free-motion quilting. Rather than attempting to explain every quilting technique, the author shares what works best for her.

The projects in this book are all actual quilts- there are no small patchwork projects. The quilts use colourful fabrics, but have clean lines and a modern look. They are divided into 3 difficulty levels.

Beginner:
-fenced in (rail fence)
-snapshots (checkerboard)
-small plates (square in square)
-batch of brownies ("stack, cut and shuffle")

Confident beginner:
-valentine (string quilt)
-kitchen window (framed prints)
-planetarium (hourglass)
-little leaves (leaf appliques)

Intermediate:
-sunspot (wonky log cabin)
-superstar (star)
-birdbath (snowball)
-rain or shine (sunburst)

The author pays attention to the back of the quilt (each quilt has a coordinating back) and includes alternate colour schemes and options for using different fabric cuts. Although 12 projects don't seem like much, there are enough options that you'll never get bored.
on February 9, 2016
I love Elizabeth Hartman's work, so I was excited to order this book. Once again she did a great job putting together some fabulous designs with easy instructions and loads of gorgeous pictures. I am so happy to have this as part of my quilting book collection. I found that I want to make almost all of the quilts in this book.
on March 6, 2011
Possibly one of the few books required if you are interested in patchwork and quilting. A practical and not patronising and informative guide to patchwork. Offering alternative colour options, new approaches to backing quilts and showing how to use pre- cut strips, I presonally found this book to be very useful and inspiring. Encouraging people to use free motion quilting and lively colours is great, and all the quilts are shown with beautiful photographs.
on February 20, 2012
This is an excellent book for someone who is learning to quilt. Goes over all of the basics and has unique /fun quilting ideas. Good source of information for everything from selecting fabric, cutting, sewing and finishing.
on August 19, 2012
Absolutely a must have for quilters; This is a very clear guide to most aspects of quilting. The part that interested me the most initially is her ideas for pieced quilt backings. ... After looking over my copy, most of the members of my mini quilting group (the Dancing Mice) ordered copies for themselves and children we are passing the practicality and love of quilting on to.
on April 3, 2011
Seriously. I can't stop recommending it to friends and customers of my store! It's the best basics modern quilting book I have ever seen! her designs are so fresh and amazing, and range from quick and easy to a little more challenging. I'd give this book 100/5 if that were possible.
on August 16, 2014
I'm new to quilting and this book really inspires me to go for it! These are quilts I truly want to make and own!
on August 11, 2014
It's a beautiful book that takes you from start to finish!