biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: Leather BoundChange

on January 31, 2014
Beautiful cover! the pages are thin and might be a bit easy to rip. I find that the stories are translated the way they should be. Great book for anyone considering buy the complete grimm's tales.
on October 23, 2012
Just got it today and it fits with my other leather bound books from Canterbury Classics. Read a review about it being sold for about $20 then going to over $100. The only explanation I can give for that would be that it went out of stock and was only available through a third party seller who's looking to cash on on it being unavailable.

Also this book has a different cover than originally shown. This one has images on it.
on June 19, 2013
I bought this book as a birthday present and am very happy with it! It has a great look to it and the ribbon bookmark and gold tipped pages add a nice touch to the genuinity of the book. This is definetily a collectible type looking book. The only thing is I would have maybe liked if the cover looked more ages since it is a classic afterall, but that will definetly come with lots of use out of it!
on July 3, 2015
I don't know if this is real leather or not, but if it is, holding the flayed skin of an animal has never felt so good.

Absolutely beautiful book, and my only problem with it was how protective I was of it when I had it out. The gold paint on the pages do seem to come off, but that's more because of my sweaty hands and less of the actual book.
on July 2, 2014
In (almost) perfect condition, just some minor dents on the front of the pages. Beautiful cover, strong spine, soft pages, excellent stories and product all around. Awesome book by all meanings and delivered fast. Great buy.
on January 4, 2013
Simply put, the book looks stunning and cost much less than it appears to, as praised by everyone I've it to. Leather bound cover with deep red, reflective etchings, and gilded pages make this book a must for any book lover's collection.

As stated in the product description, there are no illustrations, something which I preferred initially but have come to find lacking after reading it for a month or so. I also find it odd that no notes or references are are provided for the preface establishing the Grimm Brothers' and the book's background.

The collection is very diverse: we have the classics (such as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Rumpelstiltskin, Cinderella, Little Red Cap, Hansel & Gretel) and lesser known tales (The Wolf and the Seven Little Kids, The Girl Without Hands, The Duration of Life, Iron John, etc). Nevertheless, this collection is in fact complete, comprised every story listed here -- [...]

The stories themselves are, translated from German and read exactly as they do on the website above -- it's very straight forward with little whimsy or poetry. There's not a lot of romance in the way it's done, at least not in the traditional "Once upon a time, in a land far, far away" sense, and some of them end rather abruptly after all the violence and horrors. It's rather odd and I'm curious to know whether this is how those specific stories are actually written or if this was merely a product of bad interpretation. I would love to see what The Annotated Brothers Grimm have to say about those.

In short, is this book worth getting?

In a sense, it's both a yes and a no. If you're looking for something beautiful to adorn your bookshelf with and you're not too picky about how the stories are written, provided the collection is complete, then you'll adore this book (which I do). On the other hand, if you're looking for a version where the text is descriptive with a romantic fairy tale flow, then you're probably better off getting a different edition, preferably one with pictures (I'm not patronizing, it's just I've come to realize that pictures add a bit more depth to stories written so succinctly).
on January 3, 2014
I'm having a great time reading these stories to my eleven year old daughter at bedtime. She's fascinated by the stories and it helps expand her vocabulary as she asks me what some of the words mean. The binding is nice, the book looks great and the fact that it has all the Brothers Grimm stories in one compilation is nice.
on September 6, 2013
I love this book, just the look of it says Grimm. When it arrived I was speechless, the stories inside are fantastically original and the pages feel like silk. I am extremely please with this purchase.
on October 13, 2013
if people like their books to look as good on a shelf as much as they want to enjoy reading them you cant go wrong with this book from a content or aesthetic point of view.
on February 13, 2014
It was a gift for my sister for Xmas. Beautiful book. Was exactly what she was hoping for, leather bound, and very expensive looking, for a not so expensive price tag.