countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 19, 2016
This book is well-designed and organized. Most of the mains are vegetarian. As a non vegetarian, I often find recipes for vegetarian mains that feel like side-dishes, that do not feel complete (=they would go great with a piece of meat). This book offers real vegetarian mains (for me and my bf who's much harder to please in this regard than I am. ) Overall, the food is good but not great. I used up of a bunch of 'special' ingredients I had on hand (muscovado sugar, oat flour, etc) which I liked. The recipes can be a bit fussy at times. I honestly had a hard time connecting with the author's voice. I like the book enough to keep it and will surely try new recipes in the future but I don't think I will buy another book by Mrs Forte in the future. Just did not like this one enough. There are other cookbooks with similar style of cooking that I get a lot more enjoyment from.

Here are the recipes I tried:

French press coffee: My first reaction was: Really? But I figured hey its worth a shot. The measurements were not the best for the equipment and coffee beans I have at home. It however encouraged to be a little more precise with my coffee making. When I have the time, I do take some of the extra steps suggested.

Scrambled eggs with creamy leeks: Although I will keep my old method for cooking scramble eggs, the leeks are delicious and I made them many times since, with or without eggs.

Multi-grain carrot muffin: Nice recipe. The texture is moist and crumbly. Will make again (probably with small modifications to suit our taste (eg add nuts, or a little nutmeg).

Roasted tomato soup: Delicious, strong flavors ans I have made a few times now.

Moroccan-stuffed squash: I like the concept more than the actual taste: it was fairly bland (until I doubled almost all the amount herbs/spices and feta)

Coconut loaf: It was fairly dense, a bit on the dry side, ok tasting but I dont think I would make it again.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 21, 2013
I purchased this book after much success following the author's blog. The book is not 100% gluten free but is easily convertible for those of you (like me) who must follow a gluten free diet. Recipes are delicious and incorporate healthy, wholesome ingredients. Ingredient combinations may not always be typical, but always satifying. A favourite has been for me the roasted cauliflower capellini. The wholegrain, carrot muffins (though i converted to be gf using the Art of Gluten Free Baking's flour mix), broccoli salad, stuffed squash, brussel sprout salad and roasted tomato soup have also been repeatable favourites (we have tried many more recipes and liked all save the lentil balls). I like that most recipes are quick to prepare, perfect for a hurried weeknight.
on August 18, 2014
Love this book. The recipe for the multigrain carrot date muffins is worth the price of the book alone. Aside from this house favourite, there are many other recipes that were absolutely over the top delicious such as the roasted tomato soup (can't wait to make it again when my garden tomatoes ripen), the pumpkin pecan granola, and the braised white beans and leeks. I really love the simplicity of the photography, the white space on each page, and the ease of the directions. This cookbook has earned its space in our home and look forward to another. I also enjoy recipes from Sara Forte's blog.
on February 21, 2016
I'm really surprised at these reviews. This book is good, and it's always nice to have access to vegan-option recipes, but this book is needlessly pretentious. As someone without access to a Whole Foods, I don't have a hope of making these recipes accurately. Matche? Turbinado? Mirin? It's like the author re-wrote recipes to include only exclusive ingredients.
on November 18, 2012
This is a fabulous book of easy and delicious receipies. A refreshing approach to eating healthy, beautifully illustrated with new/old innovative ideas. Thank you Sarah.
on March 20, 2016
I have reviewed the entire book and I think it has a bit of everything for everyone's taste. Also the book contains pretty simple recipes and some elaborate ones for special occasions. As it is new, I haven't had the chance to try anything yet but this review will be continued after i accomplish the recipes I already bookmarked. However, as far as I concern, it looks complete, interesting and tasty.
on November 12, 2013
I am savouring this cookbook. Both the recipes and the photography. The recipes are very user-friendly with a creative approach to whole foods and fresh ingredients. This cookbook is great for someone who enjoys cooking, but needs a bit of inspiration in the kitchen every now and then. So far, I am enjoying the tahini and soba noodles and am looking forward to trying my hand at the moroccan stuffed squash and the scallops & pomegranate quinoa.
on January 27, 2013
Vraiment adoré ce livre. La cuisine y est accessible, inventive et délicieuse. Achat que je vous recommande très très vivement!
on November 7, 2013
If you're looking for some inspiration, a new cookbook to love, this is the one! I can't recommend it highly enough!